02-20-2019 06:48 PM
99 1234
tools
    It's growing on me. I would still say it feels a little slippery but not too bad, I got the carbon fiber looking one.
    Does it feel slim and light? My UAG isn't bad by any means, but with such a large phone, any size and weight reductions would be welcome
    09-10-2018 12:50 PM
    Does it feel slim and light? My UAG isn't bad by any means, but with such a large phone, any size and weight reductions would be welcome
    I would say slimmer than a uag but not by much. A touch heavier
    09-10-2018 06:47 PM
    I have a case but not keen on screen protectors. But my local mall now have a stand where they can cover the screen in liquid glass, very tempted
    Don't do that.

I had a buddy who used that liquid stuff, still got a few scratches, and when trying to trade it in, was told "How do you prove to me the scratch is in the coating, not the screen... and how do I prove that to a buyer?"

You can't remove the scratched coating like you can a scratched screen protector to show a "scratchless" screen underneath.
    09-10-2018 06:59 PM
    Don't do that.

I had a buddy who used that liquid stuff, still got a few scratches, and when trying to trade it in, was told "How do you prove to me the scratch is in the coating, not the screen... and how do I prove that to a buyer?"

You can't remove the scratched coating like you can a scratched screen protector to show a "scratchless" screen underneath.
    Really? I just assumed it voumd be peeled off. Good to know.
    09-10-2018 07:00 PM
    Really? I just assumed it voumd be peeled off. Good to know.
    Nope, it bonds to the screen.

Take this product description from Sprigen for example... note the * comment at the bottom.

Screen Protector GLAS.tR Nano Liquid
    71 Reviews
    Introducing the new Glas.tR Nano Liquid, a Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) is made to optimize screen protection without losing the durability of a tempered glass. With nano-hydrophobic technology, the liquid application adds an invisible coat that strengthens the screen by adding oil and scratch resistance. Keep the feel and look of the original screen with a layer of crystal clear defense with the latest Glas. tR Nano Liquid screen protector.

*Nano Liquid is a coating that bonds with the glass screen
    09-10-2018 07:09 PM
    Nope, it bonds to the screen.

Take this product description from Sprigen for example... note the * comment at the bottom.

Screen Protector GLAS.tR Nano Liquid
    71 Reviews
    Introducing the new Glas.tR Nano Liquid, a Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) is made to optimize screen protection without losing the durability of a tempered glass. With nano-hydrophobic technology, the liquid application adds an invisible coat that strengthens the screen by adding oil and scratch resistance. Keep the feel and look of the original screen with a layer of crystal clear defense with the latest Glas. tR Nano Liquid screen protector.

*Nano Liquid is a coating that bonds with the glass screen
    $999 phone...non removable liquid screen... nope. Lol
    Beansr519 likes this.
    09-10-2018 07:11 PM
    This thread gives me great anxiety. I don't know how anyone could use a $1,000+ device without a case or skin.
    Shawn0813 and Beansr519 like this.
    09-10-2018 07:31 PM
    This thread gives me great anxiety. I don't know how anyone could use a $1,000+ device without a case or skin.
    We're careful not to drop, bang, or scrape it--as we would have to be even with covering, since covered phones often break too when mishandled (albeit with reduced likelihood).
    09-10-2018 07:34 PM
    We're careful not to drop, bang, or scrape it--as we would have to be even with covering, since covered phones often break too when mishandled (albeit with reduced likelihood).
    Accidents are called accidents for a reason. No matter how careful you are, something could happen.
    amyf27 and Beansr519 like this.
    09-10-2018 07:49 PM
    I have a little damage on mine: gouged area by the s pen and small paint chip off the s pen. That's with a Uag Monarch on it. If the phone would've flown off my bike onto the bumpy road without a case at the velocity it did..well the phone would've been heavily damaged, cracked, you name it. I usually only have it nake for a little bit at home, when sitting on a soft couch.
    Accidents are called accidents for a reason. No matter how careful you are, something could happen.
    09-10-2018 08:03 PM
    Of course. The question is how often. Suppose I were to break a phone once every ten years (and so far for me, it's been longer than that with zero breakage). It might then cost $400 to fix it, for an average of $40 per year. That's probably less than I'd pay for cases & screen protectors, which still wouldn't guarantee lack of damage.
    09-10-2018 08:07 PM
    Of course. The question is how often. Suppose I were to break a phone once every ten years (and so far for me, it's been longer than that with zero breakage). It might then cost $400 to fix it, for an average of $40 per year. That's probably less than I'd pay for cases & screen protectors, which still wouldn't guarantee lack of damage.
    You have the right to go naked. Lol. Just whew...be careful with that $$ phone
    Beansr519 likes this.
    09-10-2018 08:11 PM
    I agree and sometimes it's not the owner dropping it..

Sometimes it's a friend, family member or work colleague who drops it.
    Mr Segundus and Beansr519 like this.
    09-11-2018 01:15 PM
    ... pets jumping on table, tripping on charger cord, children...
    Beansr519 likes this.
    09-11-2018 01:32 PM
    You have the right to go naked. Lol. Just whew...be careful with that $$ phone
    I rather pay for protection warranty, example Samsung Premium Care to have the option to go caseless when I wish to versus having to always secure it in a case. In my mind, small price to pay for ease of mind and the ability to use it as it was made. To each their own though, I respect those who go a different route.
    amyf27 and Beansr519 like this.
    09-11-2018 02:10 PM
    I agree and sometimes it's not the owner dropping it[.]
    I agree: there are various risk factors, and various things you can do to mitigate them. The risk will always be nonzero, and how high it is is an empirical question. As I mentioned, my track record is zero damage to phones in more than ten years, despite extensive use indoors and outdoors. With ten years or more between incidents, I'd rather avoid the expense and bother of cases, screen protectors, or insurance. For people with different track records, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the same strategy.
    09-11-2018 02:29 PM
    I only ever go caseless like the day before and the day of me switching to a new phone, otherwise my phone is always in a case with a glass screen protector. I'm currently using my Note8 caseless while I'm outside waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver my new Note 9. should be any minute now
    09-11-2018 02:41 PM
    I only ever go caseless like the day before and the day of me switching to a new phone, otherwise my phone is always in a case with a glass screen protector. I'm currently using my Note8 caseless while I'm outside waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver my new Note 9. should be any minute now
    Ohhh, enjoy.
    09-11-2018 02:44 PM
    I just ordered a naked skin from slickwraps.
    09-11-2018 03:04 PM
    I tip my hat to those that are brave enough to go naked but I just can't.

My choice of workplace is outdoors and in a warehouse so to be careful I always attach a dbrand skin and screen protector and to be minimalist I use the Rhinoshield Crashguard Bumper.

Like others every month or so I remove the bumper to give the phone a clean when at home so keep it naked for a short period.

That and the resale value of a pristine phone is my preference too.
    12-28-2018 12:42 AM
    currently I'm using a UAG case with my note 9, but going screen protector-less for now.
    12-28-2018 01:42 AM
    Marshmallows get pretty damn hard when they go stale. Just saying 🤣
    How do you ever ALLOW them to get STALE??!!😮
    Beansr519 likes this.
    12-28-2018 02:41 AM
    When at home, usually just the skin (slickwraps) or a peel case. Out and about, I have a TPU type case. When traveling, I have the Samsung wallet case. I like the peel cases or the slickwraps because they provide a little more grip and don't add any bulk, but I realize accidents happen, so outside the house, I take it up a bit. But I don't use the heavy duty cases; too much bulk makes it harder to hold which leads to more dropping.
    12-28-2018 10:30 AM
    I love the Spigen tough Armour. I have one for my Note 8. My only complaint is the buttons on the left are difficult for me to determine what is what. Volume Up, Volume Down and Bixby. They are usually spaced a bit but not on that. Has that changed any??
    same thing here man, you can't freakin' feel or see those buttons. Matter gets worse when I'm jogging and trying to increase or decrease the volume.

So I set my Tough Armor aside and bought a Spigen Neo Hybrid case, way better. The buttons are visible and are very easy to press and have a nice tactile feedback to them.
    12-28-2018 11:18 AM
    I couldn't even dream of going naked... otterbox commuter for moi
    Beansr519 likes this.
    12-28-2018 04:08 PM
99 1234