Samsung dropped the ball on this launch

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
From the colors, to the promos, to the running out of phones, I think they could have done a better job and sold more phones.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung never has all the colors at launch. Neither does Apple (the Red phone just came out). The promos are about the same as last year, nothing that BIG to get some to pre-order.

Also the 512GB was something not a lot were interested it at first (see: 125GB or 512GB, what are you getting? post). Not sure if that changed when they came out or if Samsung didn't make that many on purpose. These are expensive phones and the 512 GB is very expensive, even with yearly upgrade offers.

Do you have stats on who many they have sold?
I'd like to see tmobile's numbers, if that was possible. With the big down payment for almost all of the members, most on social media said they were passing on the Note 9.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Samsung never has all the colors at launch. Neither does Apple (the Red phone just came out). The promos are about the same as last year, nothing that BIG to get some to pre-order.

Also the 512GB was something not a lot were interested it at first (see: 125GB or 512GB, what are you getting? post). Not sure if that changed when they came out or if Samsung didn't make that many on purpose. These are expensive phones and the 512 GB is very expensive, even with yearly upgrade offers.

Do you have stats on who many they have sold?
I'd like to see tmobile's numbers, if that was possible. With the big down payment for almost all of the members, most on social media said they were passing on the Note 9.

I think Tmobile branded phones numbers might be skewed because some like me just go for the unlocked model because all the same features like wifi calling from tmobile worked on unlocked.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think Tmobile branded phones numbers might be skewed because some like me just go for the unlocked model because all the same features like wifi calling from tmobile worked on unlocked.

I feel their numbers are a bit skewed anyway with the jump on demand letting people swap phones whenever. With Verizon most of the deals are bill credits you lose out on if you don't use the same phone for 2 years.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Them not launching black globally was nothing short of failure in my eyes. It's hard to predict product demand, so I can forgive the delays on 512Gb or back orders on any color, but to not offer black at all is a joke.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Nothing really different from previous launches or any different from competitors in fact SAMSUNG promos are amazing!

You just have to think of it from a business perspective. You have what 4-6 months to keep people interested before the Next Big Thing comes out.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Them not launching black globally was nothing short of failure in my eyes. It's hard to predict product demand, so I can forgive the delays on 512Gb or back orders on any color, but to not offer black at all is a joke.

Amen!!!!

I am so frustrated they did not offer a Black option in the United States ....... I think that is the first time ever.

Regardless of production costs or time frames, more color options and more 512's should have been available.

I am holding out for a Black Verizon Note 9

Come on Sammie - don't let me down!!!!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I prefer black, but my Prince Purple in a black Samsung silicon case looks good :)

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Many Verizon Wireless employees have told me that retail stores will never get the 512GB version in stock because there is little interest in that model, mainly for the price. I'm not sure if that was a Samsung thing or a Verizon thing, though.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Many Verizon Wireless employees have told me that retail stores will never get the 512GB version in stock because there is little interest in that model, mainly for the price. I'm not sure if that was a Samsung thing or a Verizon thing, though.

Former Verizon employee here. We got burned bad on the S6/S6 Edge and storage options. NO ONE bought the 128Gb versions and we sold them at a loss months later to get them out of inventory. After that our store primarily only carried the base storage option for phones, even the iPhone.

Also got robbed once, over $150,000 in phones taken in under 5 minutes, was another incentive to reduce the value of phones we had on hand.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Also got robbed once, over $150,000 in phones taken in under 5 minutes, was another incentive to reduce the value of phones we had on hand.

Is this why many retail stores now keep the expensive phones in the back versus the drawers on the sales floor?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
AT&T stores are doing the same thing. I think it's also to test the waters. 512gb devices sell like hot cakes in other countries and this is the first time a 512gb device has been offered from US carriers.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As much as I wanted black, do people remember when black was not an option for some of the earlier Galaxy S and Note phones? It’s not unprecedented by any means.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung never has all the colors at launch. Neither does Apple (the Red phone just came out).
As far as I know when Apple announces phones, all colors are available everywhere. It's not like they say black and silver available in North America, only gold and silver available in Europe etc. That's different than how Samsung and Android OEMs do. Announce a phone with colors but color availability is based on region.

Last edited:

Davenurse

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree I'm really upset about how the promotions were handled. I've bought notes since the 6 and always was eligible for a promotion. This one was pre order only and so people like me who bought mine last Friday get nothing. I bought mine from Xfinity Mobile so nothing from them and nothing from Samsung. It makes me mad the way they screwed a lot of people

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know when Apple announces phones, all colors are available everywhere. It's not like they say black and silver available in North America, only gold and silver available in Europe etc. That's different than how Samsung and Android OEMs do. Announce a phone with colors but color availability is based on region.

Yeah I wish Android OEMs would get on the ball with colors. If you show them -- offer them.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Guess the folks that wanted the black note9 know now how us folks felt when we had to wait for the deep sea blue note8 last year. Not being a smartass. Just saying some of us know the feeling in regards to the color:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance