Samsung dropped the ball on this launch

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Former Verizon employee here. We got burned bad on the S6/S6 Edge and storage options. NO ONE bought the 128Gb versions and we sold them at a loss months later to get them out of inventory. After that our store primarily only carried the base storage option for phones, even the iPhone.

Also got robbed once, over $150,000 in phones taken in under 5 minutes, was another incentive to reduce the value of phones we had on hand.

Yea that is what I figured why carrier stores never keep a lot of phones in stock and just constantly get shipments when they get low. When I got the Note 7 I went to an ATT store to get a case they sold and the sales guy told me they only got 4 Note 7s on launch day and sold out pretty quick.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Never thought I would be sporting a Lavender phone. But here I am and loving it. Going to get the matching Spigen Tough Armor case to supplement the Insignia slim case. The Lavender Note 9 is truly a beautiful masculine device.

Davenurse

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Never thought I would be sporting a Lavender phone. But here I am and loving it. Going to get the matching Spigen Tough Armor case to supplement the Insignia slim case. The Lavender Note 9 is truly a beautiful masculine device.

Got the lavender also, love it. It is definitely different than most phones out there and that's what I like about it. It demands attention.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Is this why many retail stores now keep the expensive phones in the back versus the drawers on the sales floor?

Our entire inventory was in a locked room in the back, unfortunately they just knocked the doors down. They got caught because they stole an active phone and got tracked. Lol

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Guess the folks that wanted the black note9 know now how us folks felt when we had to wait for the deep sea blue note8 last year. Not being a smartass. Just saying some of us know the feeling in regards to the color:)
I think black is a pretty universal color and should be available for all launches internationally. Blue is more selective to people's tastes. If they only launched in purple, people would lose their minds. However, if they only launched in black, people may be a little perturbed, but would get over it a little easier.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
As much as I wanted black, do people remember when black was not an option for some of the earlier Galaxy S and Note phones? It’s not unprecedented by any means.
I can't remember the Note ever not being available in black. I've always had black.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
It's kind of shocking to me that a color is so important to people. I mean, I assumed people threw cases on their devices, making the color of the phone irrelevant.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of shocking to me that a color is so important to people. I mean, I assumed people threw cases on their devices, making the color of the phone irrelevant.
Many of us have never used cases for our phones. Still, most people look at the front of their phone rather than the back, so the color of the back doesn't change the experience much.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I initially had a fit because black wasn't being offered, but i use a case so in the end it really didn't matter for me. I just wanted the phone.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Amen. Every year I wanted a different color and my only option was black. In the end it didn't really matter because I threw a case on it. But this year i got the blue one and threw a clear case on it so I can enjoy the non black phone.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I first black phone was note 8...but really love the blue note 9...put on transparent gase and I am good to go...and yellow pen looks striking

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Not having a basic black is a mistake

Lots of different views here on the non-availability of black......

I would get the blue color - it really is beautiful - but again, that darn yellow s pen is too much for my tastes.......

I chatted with Samsung twice on their web site, and they assured my they would be releasing a black note 9 in the United States.

A) Do you believe them, and B) if so, when????

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Lots of different views here on the non-availability of black......

I would get the blue color - it really is beautiful - but again, that darn yellow s pen is too much for my tastes.......

I chatted with Samsung twice on their web site, and they assured my they would be releasing a black note 9 in the United States.

A) Do you believe them, and B) if so, when????

Never.....mwahahaha🤪 lol sorry couldn't help myself.

UnluckyGambler13

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
Here in South Georgia and North Florida there are plenty of 512 models to be had. Honestly it was only a $10 upcharge to get it with the BOGO special they were offering, but I store my work on an SDCard so I don't really need the extra space, and the wife hasn't needed more than 16gb ever... So I didn't see any reason for the upgrade. I like expandable memory.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Them not launching black globally was nothing short of failure in my eyes. It's hard to predict product demand, so I can forgive the delays on 512Gb or back orders on any color, but to not offer black at all is a joke.
I'm not too picky but yea black is a solid, standard, cornerstone kind of color.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
From the colors, to the promos, to the running out of phones, I think they could have done a better job and sold more phones.

So how many phones (i.e., include specific numbers for both the 128GB (surplus on launch day) and 512GB model (shortage on launch day)) should they have made for launch day? Please be specific on the calculation you used to arrive at that number. Keep in mind that when Samsung did their calculation, it was well before 8/10 when the pre order period began.