02-03-2019 03:00 PM
178 ... 45678
tools
    I have a XS Max, but my Note 9 is my main phone. The Max is good phone, but definitely not worth the asking price. I paid it, but if I could go back, I wouldn't do it again.
    I feel exactly the same! I have the Xs max, Note 9 and picked up the Pixel 3XL before Xmas. I usually pay outright for phones but after shelling out £1149 for the X last year I decided to get the Xs max on the upgrade programme, rationale was I'll always have an iPhone so why not.

I do regret it now though as I barely use it, every now and then I put my sim in but a day or so later I am back on android. I am currently using the 3XL but will probably start using the Note once the new UI drops. Pixel is terrific but it lacks some features and at 128gb the storage is only just about enough vs being not even something I worry about on the Note.

Back to the OP though, I feel that Apple does not need to do much to tempt me back. Honestly even if they just added an always on display and let me resize and put my icons where I want on the home screen then that might be enough! All of the other issues with iOS are not a big deal for me and there are lots of benefits. The thing is with apple though like Xmas big changes come but once a year so my heart sank when the iOS 12 betas started to drop this year with no meaningful changes, hoping for more this year.
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    12-30-2018 03:31 AM
    If you use a different launcher on Android, you can do pretty much whatever you like
    12-30-2018 05:18 AM
    If so curious why and reasoning.
    Personally, I bought the Note 9 when it came out and quiet pleased with it. I like the battery life, screen, and common things such as the weather display, google search bar, size (long/tall), memory, however, still having a bit of a learning curve... Will really be hard for apple to beat N9 IMO. both great phones however. We will just have to wait and see.... apple will be giving Samsung some stiff competition nonetheless-
    Apple have very limited operating system so it doesn't suit to my needs...., quite happy with Android and my Galaxy Note 9 I think..... apple should learn and develop, not just be greedy
    kevinpleasants and Auronda40 like this.
    12-30-2018 02:49 PM
    I went back to Apple. I got the XS Max. I had the Note 9 but returned it. The only thing I disliked about it was the curved screen. They need to make a flat screen variant.
    2ndHalfCor and NIZMOZ44 like this.
    12-30-2018 03:26 PM
    I went back to Apple. I got the XS Max. I had the Note 9 but returned it. The only thing I disliked about it was the curved screen. They need to make a flat screen variant.
    I'm curious. Were you using the Note 9 "naked"(without a case)? With my phone in its case(OtterBox Defender) I can barely perceive the curved screen.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    12-30-2018 04:06 PM
    I also don't like curved screen but to buy IOS device becouse of that? Ios is so damn limited.. Can't do a lot of things... Well, I will swallow curves of note 9 and stay...
    debdroid1a and Beansr519 like this.
    12-30-2018 05:25 PM
    I swear that when going through my text messages, 99% of the people I have texted are blue bubbles. There’s no way that I could stand being the only dumbass who becomes a green one. Lol
    This used to be my defense for continuing to go back to Apple until I realized I was going back to a phone I didn't even like or want to please everyone else. Screw that. If green bubbles bother people I tell them to Facebook message me or don't text me at all.
    12-30-2018 10:18 PM
    I also don't like curved screen but to buy IOS device becouse of that? Ios is so damn limited.. Can't do a lot of things... Well, I will swallow curves of note 9 and stay...
    Ive been using iOS since Verizon got the iPhone. I’m not stuck in the eco system as some people are. I’ve tried Pixel and other Android that had Vanilla OS but I didn’t like it. I like how Samsung implements their software on top of Android. I just recently purchased the OnePlus but it had a bad screen and the camera was pretty bad IMO. I’m excited that Samsung is finally making the S10 with a flat screen. I hope they do the same with the Note series. I always make typos and opening apps by mistake with the S8+, S9+ Note 8 and 9.
    12-31-2018 09:22 AM
    This used to be my defense for continuing to go back to Apple until I realized I was going back to a phone I didn't even like or want to please everyone else. Screw that. If green bubbles bother people I tell them to Facebook message me or don't text me at all.
    I have a bunch of people that say this to me when I switch back to Android. I laugh at them and say that’s all the iPhone has? Sometimes I switch iMessage off my iPhone just to see them complain.
    cwbcpa, note1note9 and jlarkins08 like this.
    12-31-2018 09:25 AM
    That's pretty much it for me as well. I do enjoy the iPhone for that. Otherwise until they change the software it's still the same old stuff. Gets boring.
    Exactly!!there hasn't really been any monumental changes in iphones in a while...just the same old software in a new case. Oh, they moved the camera and made Emoji's that you can customize...(insert sarcastic cheer)
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-31-2018 11:14 AM
    No.

To me, Apple has lost their innovative edge in the phone category. Tim Cook is running Apple like a business, instead of a passion to create, amaze, and capture people's imagination when it comes to phones.

Phone designs, iOS, Siri, and reliability have become stagnant and not reliable. I have owned the original iPhone, unique design, 3G/3GS, unique design, iPhone 4/4s, unique design, iPhone 5/5s, unique design, but 6/6s/7/8/New for 2018 all have the same design, including their Plus counterparts. And, the naming is getting annoying too, what happened to iPhone 7s, 8s, and 9, no one knows because they were never released, since writing this. The last new phone design was iPhone 5 in 2012, that's been 6 years ago when we used to get a redesign every 2 years.

I used to remember when getting an Operating System update on an old phone was like getting a whole new device, iOS hasn't changed in those 6 years either. They still have not fixed the double 'Today View'. Swipe right on the Home Screen and you get Today View, Swipe down and then right from the Home Screen, WTF? Fix that crap, it's been 6 years! It is redundant and stupid. Swipe up and the controls don't even CONTROL like you would expect. If I press WiFi Off, I want WiFi OFF. I shouldn't have to go to settings to do this when there is supposed to be a shortcut button when I swipe up.

Siri is the same Siri that was released with the iPhone 4s, back in 2011. It still cannot recognize most of my requests, spoken in robot talk because it cannot understand human. I ask Siri to set a timer for 80 minutes, it sets a timer 18 minutes. I ask Siri to set a timer for 60 minutes, it sets a timer 16 minutes. I even try to pronounce 80 as 'AD' minutes and 60 as '6T' minutes, when it doesn't understand me the first 5-10 times. Setting a timer is basic and should have been solved 7 years ago. Siri is a dumb unintelligent assistant that just says I don't know I'm not helping you anymore because I cannot understand what you are talking about. I can have a conversation with Google Assistant and if it does not know something it asks. Duh, that's the way it should be.

When I talk about reliability, I bringing up syncing. It works great when it works, but when it doesn't work you cannot get access to stuff, documents, spreadsheets, nothing. There have been many times I needed to refer to something and the wheels just keep spinning and never get to see my current updates made on other devices from other days past. Syncing MUST be reliable in order to rely on them as useful tools, especially these days now that we do rely on syncing as a useful tool.

Battery life. Why, to this day, Apple is still using 1,821 mAh battery, in their iPhones? This is an iPhone 8 I am talking about, their latest and greatest phone. IT DOES NOT LAST BUT A FEW HOURS. No, I am not talking about new iPhone that is not working correctly. I am talking about years of their phones not last but half a day. Most Android phones have 3,000-4,000 mAh batteries or close to it, and some Android phones are even putting in 5,000 mAh batteries. These last a day and a half to two or more days with the same usage, playing games, reading books, reading articles, internet searches, digital assistant usage, home control, playing music, playing movies, phone calls, and navigation. I cannot even navigate on an iPhone without having it plugged in, and definitely don't try to call people.

All Apple claims to have come up with in years is Face Unlock; which has, been done by many other phone manufacturers before hand. Well, theirs is 3D Face Unlock ... Well, I have seen many videos where Apple's 3D Face Unlock, being the only way to unlock one's iPhone, is bypassable ...by children or twins. Fingerprints are unique to an individual, faces of relatives or twins are not always that unique.

I used every iPhone since the beginning, and now I have become disillusioned.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
    amyf27 and Ellzin like this.
    12-31-2018 11:34 AM
    I'd use it if they paid me. It woud not replace my Note 9 though. Ever.
    Bingo! if they paid me, but i'd still have my note 9!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-31-2018 11:35 AM
    Totally agree, most people have know idea how much today's device's can do. Both iOS and Android have their place and their users. Apple is perfect for a lot of people, just not me. I'm very happy to have the choice and I believe we greatly benefit from the competition. I get the Note because nothing can compete with it for me.
    well said! i think it all boils down the Personal experience. Each OS is different, and it appeals to a different set of customers. i personally forgot how much i loved the freedom of the Android OS, you can customize it so, until you fell like you almost have a brand new phone twice a week. with Apple, whom i was recently with for the 2,3, 7+, and 8+ and currntly still have a 4gen ipad, there are many perks to having their product as well, such as the apple store, but the itunes customer service sucks, but if you're into customizing you phone like i am, then Apple isn't the OS for you. i didnt jailbreak my 8+, but i was using an app called Tweakbox to kind of get my phone to feel more like an android, but with apple security, i was deleting and re-installing apps once a month...that got old! but my point is it depends on what type of OS person you are, as for me, having used Samsung, LG, and Apple for the last 12 years...This note 9 fits my likes and lifestyle perfectly!
    12-31-2018 12:05 PM
    never
    01-04-2019 08:01 PM
    If any note 9 user was tempted to go to iPhone...can't they just enable kids mode on the note? That's about the same experience and flexibility.
    amyf27, Kdroid, note1note9 and 3 others like this.
    01-05-2019 11:43 AM
    I recently upgraded from S8+ to XS Max.. I wanted to try apple again since my last iPhone was the 5. Honestly the phone is great but iOS is very limited. I missed a couple things like PIP mode on YouTube and other apps and the split screen feature. So I decided to sell the phone and buy the Note 9. I found a really good deal for 688 on Ebay.
    01-05-2019 11:45 AM
    I recently upgraded from S8+ to XS Max.. I wanted to try apple again since my last iPhone was the 5. Honestly the phone is great but iOS is very limited. I missed a couple things like PIP mode on YouTube and other apps and the split screen feature. So I decided to sell the phone and buy the Note 9. I found a really good deal for 688 on Ebay.
    Congrats and welcome back!
    01-05-2019 12:45 PM
    Welcome back there are quite a few stories I've heard of people going to Apple and coming back to Samsung and other Android devices. I'm glad you were able to get such a great deal on the awesome note 9 that quite a few of us have.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    01-05-2019 01:13 PM
    If any note 9 user was tempted to go to iPhone...can't they just enable kids mode on the note? That's about the same experience and flexibility.

That totally made me laugh LOL
    Beansr519 likes this.
    01-06-2019 05:13 AM
    While I'm about to return my note9 because I have the opportunity to get a mate 20 pro instead (Note just feels slower), here's my 2c:

I switched to Android after my iPhone Xs Max got out of repair the third time within a month of having bought it.

Honestly, Apple has completely lost its mojo. Hardware wise they're on par with Samsung and Huawei (at least when it comes to phones - laptops, desktops etc are far behind Microsoft now) etc. but when it comes to software, Apple has fallen years behind everyone else.

Their voice assistant is an absolute joke, their other online services are essentially dead in the water and while Homekit could be interesting, a walled garden approach to home automation simply can't work, there are just too many device manufacturers.

I have no clue what the geriatric ward that the Apple company leadership consists of right now has planned - but catching up with Google is hardly a possibility anymore. They could do co-operation, which they seem to be trying (wouldn't be overly surprised if they dumped Siri altogether in favor of Amazon Echo tech), but the ship seems to not only have sailed for their own software and services, it is slowly disappearing behind the horizon.
    Kdroid likes this.
    01-09-2019 07:17 AM
    While I'm about to return my note9 because I have the opportunity to get a mate 20 pro instead (Note just feels slower), here's my 2c:

I switched to Android after my iPhone Xs Max got out of repair the third time within a month of having bought it.

Honestly, Apple has completely lost its mojo. Hardware wise they're on par with Samsung and Huawei (at least when it comes to phones - laptops, desktops etc are far behind Microsoft now) etc. but when it comes to software, Apple has fallen years behind everyone else.

Their voice assistant is an absolute joke, their other online services are essentially dead in the water and while Homekit could be interesting, a walled garden approach to home automation simply can't work, there are just too many device manufacturers.

I have no clue what the geriatric ward that the Apple company leadership consists of right now has planned - but catching up with Google is hardly a possibility anymore. They could do co-operation, which they seem to be trying (wouldn't be overly surprised if they dumped Siri altogether in favor of Amazon Echo tech), but the ship seems to not only have sailed for their own software and services, it is slowly disappearing behind the horizon.
    I concur. I am seriously considering paying off my iPhone Xs, selling that along with my iMac, and iPad, continuing to use my Note 9 as my daily driver and purchasing an HP all in one Pavilion and calling it a year, or two lol. I want off the Apple train. It's not easy but I'm sick of being tied down to it.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    01-09-2019 04:08 PM
    I concur. I am seriously considering paying off my iPhone Xs, selling that along with my iMac, and iPad, continuing to use my Note 9 as my daily driver and purchasing an HP all in one Pavilion and calling it a year, or two lol. I want off the Apple train. It's not easy but I'm sick of being tied down to it.
    Sounds good especially as windows 10 stuff can integrate so deeply into android with the usual (word, OneDrive etc) but also Microsoft launcher which adds so much to android if you use your pc and phone for work.

Windows 10 is brilliant too..best with flash memory, my solid state pc took forever to do things on win 10 my flash, cheap, tablet was always vastly faster at general stuff.
    Auronda40 likes this.
    01-09-2019 05:11 PM
    I as well feel so tied down to an ecosystem that lacks in every other department. I am only an iOS user for the ecosystem and want to be able to use the note 9 I got so badly. It blows the iPhone XS out of the water display wise, hardware wise, and software wise. There is so much more you can do on a note than on an iPhone. Zero multitasking on the iPhone, no picture in picture video, no one handed use features, no always on display, zero customization. Then part of me asks myself if those things are more important to have than the ecosystem, that's when I tell myself to just stick with iOS.

The Galaxy gear watch is gorgeous while the apple watch I have never been a fan of looks wise. I do love how the watch works within the ecosystem which is another reason I'm holding back. I really would love to ditch apple until September and see what they come out with which probably will be more boring crap.
    01-10-2019 08:25 PM
    I as well feel so tied down to an ecosystem that lacks in every other department. I am only an iOS user for the ecosystem and want to be able to use the note 9 I got so badly. It blows the iPhone XS out of the water display wise, hardware wise, and software wise. There is so much more you can do on a note than on an iPhone. Zero multitasking on the iPhone, no picture in picture video, no one handed use features, no always on display, zero customization. Then part of me asks myself if those things are more important to have than the ecosystem, that's when I tell myself to just stick with iOS.

The Galaxy gear watch is gorgeous while the apple watch I have never been a fan of looks wise. I do love how the watch works within the ecosystem which is another reason I'm holding back. I really would love to ditch apple until September and see what they come out with which probably will be more boring crap.
    I asked myself the same question. Is leaving the ecosystem worth it. The thing is, if I got rid of my iPad, iMac, and iPhone I'd still have everything i needed on my Note 9. I have chrome, i have my password app, haven't invested to much money in apple apps or music or movies. I was originally afraid id abandoning my kids by leaving iMessage and facetime, but after a few weeks on my Note 9 no one has even noticed im gone lol. We use Duo, and no one cares about my green bubbles. I realize I'm not missing out by using the phone I really wanna use. I may grab a windows PC, get rid of my apple stuff and free myself. That's the biggest issue im having here is I hate feeling obligated to stay with Apple. I don't wanna feel that way anymore even if it is a comfortable place to be. I wanna get down to two devices. A phone and a computer. No need for a tablet. I wanna be able to bounce around to different phones if I want in the future and not feel obligated to stay with an iPhone.
    01-10-2019 08:32 PM
    I asked myself the same question. Is leaving the ecosystem worth it. The thing is, if I got rid of my iPad, iMac, and iPhone I'd still have everything i needed on my Note 9. I have chrome, i have my password app, haven't invested to much money in apple apps or music or movies. I was originally afraid id abandoning my kids by leaving iMessage and facetime, but after a few weeks on my Note 9 no one has even noticed im gone lol. We use Duo, and no one cares about my green bubbles. I realize I'm not missing out by using the phone I really wanna use. I may grab a windows PC, get rid of my apple stuff and free myself. That's the biggest issue im having here is I hate feeling obligated to stay with Apple. I don't wanna feel that way anymore even if it is a comfortable place to be. I wanna get down to two devices. A phone and a computer. No need for a tablet. I wanna be able to bounce around to different phones if I want in the future and not feel obligated to stay with an iPhone.
    I agree, and I love having choices as well but sometimes that gets me in trouble! With iPhones I can get a new iPhone but with android I can get ANYTHING! Can get Samsung, google, one plus, Sony, etc. Sometimes too many choices get me crazy and I obsess over having the newest phone at all times which android has new phones come out every couple of months. I want the choices but at the same time I don’t! I know I sound crazy. Also when I leave Apple I always feel left out but once I come back I feel like I have zero individuality and my phone and watch looks like every other sheep’s iPhone. My family all uses iOS, and to ask them to use an app besides iMessage or FaceTime is asking way too much. Why make them download another app when they already have two great working ones? I’m so torn.
    01-10-2019 08:38 PM
178 ... 45678