Any Note 8 or 9 Users going to the dark side? (iPhone XsMax)

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I recently upgraded from S8+ to XS Max.. I wanted to try apple again since my last iPhone was the 5. Honestly the phone is great but iOS is very limited. I missed a couple things like PIP mode on YouTube and other apps and the split screen feature. So I decided to sell the phone and buy the Note 9. I found a really good deal for 688 on Ebay.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I recently upgraded from S8+ to XS Max.. I wanted to try apple again since my last iPhone was the 5. Honestly the phone is great but iOS is very limited. I missed a couple things like PIP mode on YouTube and other apps and the split screen feature. So I decided to sell the phone and buy the Note 9. I found a really good deal for 688 on Ebay.

Congrats and welcome back!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Welcome back there are quite a few stories I've heard of people going to Apple and coming back to Samsung and other Android devices. I'm glad you were able to get such a great deal on the awesome note 9 that quite a few of us have.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
While I'm about to return my note9 because I have the opportunity to get a mate 20 pro instead (Note just feels slower), here's my 2c:

I switched to Android after my iPhone Xs Max got out of repair the third time within a month of having bought it.

Honestly, Apple has completely lost its mojo. Hardware wise they're on par with Samsung and Huawei (at least when it comes to phones - laptops, desktops etc are far behind Microsoft now) etc. but when it comes to software, Apple has fallen years behind everyone else.

Their voice assistant is an absolute joke, their other online services are essentially dead in the water and while Homekit could be interesting, a walled garden approach to home automation simply can't work, there are just too many device manufacturers.

I have no clue what the geriatric ward that the Apple company leadership consists of right now has planned - but catching up with Google is hardly a possibility anymore. They could do co-operation, which they seem to be trying (wouldn't be overly surprised if they dumped Siri altogether in favor of Amazon Echo tech), but the ship seems to not only have sailed for their own software and services, it is slowly disappearing behind the horizon.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
While I'm about to return my note9 because I have the opportunity to get a mate 20 pro instead (Note just feels slower), here's my 2c:

I switched to Android after my iPhone Xs Max got out of repair the third time within a month of having bought it.

Honestly, Apple has completely lost its mojo. Hardware wise they're on par with Samsung and Huawei (at least when it comes to phones - laptops, desktops etc are far behind Microsoft now) etc. but when it comes to software, Apple has fallen years behind everyone else.

Their voice assistant is an absolute joke, their other online services are essentially dead in the water and while Homekit could be interesting, a walled garden approach to home automation simply can't work, there are just too many device manufacturers.

I have no clue what the geriatric ward that the Apple company leadership consists of right now has planned - but catching up with Google is hardly a possibility anymore. They could do co-operation, which they seem to be trying (wouldn't be overly surprised if they dumped Siri altogether in favor of Amazon Echo tech), but the ship seems to not only have sailed for their own software and services, it is slowly disappearing behind the horizon.
I concur. I am seriously considering paying off my iPhone Xs, selling that along with my iMac, and iPad, continuing to use my Note 9 as my daily driver and purchasing an HP all in one Pavilion and calling it a year, or two lol. I want off the Apple train. It's not easy but I'm sick of being tied down to it.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I concur. I am seriously considering paying off my iPhone Xs, selling that along with my iMac, and iPad, continuing to use my Note 9 as my daily driver and purchasing an HP all in one Pavilion and calling it a year, or two lol. I want off the Apple train. It's not easy but I'm sick of being tied down to it.
Sounds good especially as windows 10 stuff can integrate so deeply into android with the usual (word, OneDrive etc) but also Microsoft launcher which adds so much to android if you use your pc and phone for work.

Windows 10 is brilliant too..best with flash memory, my solid state pc took forever to do things on win 10 my flash, cheap, tablet was always vastly faster at general stuff.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I as well feel so tied down to an ecosystem that lacks in every other department. I am only an iOS user for the ecosystem and want to be able to use the note 9 I got so badly. It blows the iPhone XS out of the water display wise, hardware wise, and software wise. There is so much more you can do on a note than on an iPhone. Zero multitasking on the iPhone, no picture in picture video, no one handed use features, no always on display, zero customization. Then part of me asks myself if those things are more important to have than the ecosystem, that's when I tell myself to just stick with iOS.

The Galaxy gear watch is gorgeous while the apple watch I have never been a fan of looks wise. I do love how the watch works within the ecosystem which is another reason I'm holding back. I really would love to ditch apple until September and see what they come out with which probably will be more boring crap.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I as well feel so tied down to an ecosystem that lacks in every other department. I am only an iOS user for the ecosystem and want to be able to use the note 9 I got so badly. It blows the iPhone XS out of the water display wise, hardware wise, and software wise. There is so much more you can do on a note than on an iPhone. Zero multitasking on the iPhone, no picture in picture video, no one handed use features, no always on display, zero customization. Then part of me asks myself if those things are more important to have than the ecosystem, that's when I tell myself to just stick with iOS.

The Galaxy gear watch is gorgeous while the apple watch I have never been a fan of looks wise. I do love how the watch works within the ecosystem which is another reason I'm holding back. I really would love to ditch apple until September and see what they come out with which probably will be more boring crap.
I asked myself the same question. Is leaving the ecosystem worth it. The thing is, if I got rid of my iPad, iMac, and iPhone I'd still have everything i needed on my Note 9. I have chrome, i have my password app, haven't invested to much money in apple apps or music or movies. I was originally afraid id abandoning my kids by leaving iMessage and facetime, but after a few weeks on my Note 9 no one has even noticed im gone lol. We use Duo, and no one cares about my green bubbles. I realize I'm not missing out by using the phone I really wanna use. I may grab a windows PC, get rid of my apple stuff and free myself. That's the biggest issue im having here is I hate feeling obligated to stay with Apple. I don't wanna feel that way anymore even if it is a comfortable place to be. I wanna get down to two devices. A phone and a computer. No need for a tablet. I wanna be able to bounce around to different phones if I want in the future and not feel obligated to stay with an iPhone.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I asked myself the same question. Is leaving the ecosystem worth it. The thing is, if I got rid of my iPad, iMac, and iPhone I'd still have everything i needed on my Note 9. I have chrome, i have my password app, haven't invested to much money in apple apps or music or movies. I was originally afraid id abandoning my kids by leaving iMessage and facetime, but after a few weeks on my Note 9 no one has even noticed im gone lol. We use Duo, and no one cares about my green bubbles. I realize I'm not missing out by using the phone I really wanna use. I may grab a windows PC, get rid of my apple stuff and free myself. That's the biggest issue im having here is I hate feeling obligated to stay with Apple. I don't wanna feel that way anymore even if it is a comfortable place to be. I wanna get down to two devices. A phone and a computer. No need for a tablet. I wanna be able to bounce around to different phones if I want in the future and not feel obligated to stay with an iPhone.

I agree, and I love having choices as well but sometimes that gets me in trouble! With iPhones I can get a new iPhone but with android I can get ANYTHING! Can get Samsung, google, one plus, Sony, etc. Sometimes too many choices get me crazy and I obsess over having the newest phone at all times which android has new phones come out every couple of months. I want the choices but at the same time I don’t! I know I sound crazy. Also when I leave Apple I always feel left out but once I come back I feel like I have zero individuality and my phone and watch looks like every other sheep’s iPhone. My family all uses iOS, and to ask them to use an app besides iMessage or FaceTime is asking way too much. Why make them download another app when they already have two great working ones? I’m so torn.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I agree, and I love having choices as well but sometimes that gets me in trouble! With iPhones I can get a new iPhone but with android I can get ANYTHING! Can get Samsung, google, one plus, Sony, etc. Sometimes too many choices get me crazy and I obsess over having the newest phone at all times which android has new phones come out every couple of months. I want the choices but at the same time I don’t! I know I sound crazy. Also when I leave Apple I always feel left out but once I come back I feel like I have zero individuality and my phone and watch looks like every other sheep’s iPhone. My family all uses iOS, and to ask them to use an app besides iMessage or FaceTime is asking way too much. Why make them download another app when they already have two great working ones? I’m so torn.
It's just awful isn't it? I feel like such a slave to indecision. I go back and forth with this obsessively every month. And I can change my mind one way or the other like the wind and be really passionate about either platform. It's maddening. No cure.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It's just awful isn't it? I feel like such a slave to indecision. I go back and forth with this obsessively every month. And I can change my mind one way or the other like the wind and be really passionate about either platform. It's maddening. No cure.

It’s good to know I’m not the only one. I’ve obsessed over this for years already but now I’m really letting it get to me. It’s a damn phone! But it’s taken over our lives haha. I know I can survive without using Apple products. Question is, do I really want to? Do I want to so I can customize my home screen, have a nicer display, have freedom?

Then I go to bed and wake up nice and refreshed on the Apple train and say what was I thinking last night!

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
It’s good to know I’m not the only one. I’ve obsessed over this for years already but now I’m really letting it get to me. It’s a damn phone! But it’s taken over our lives haha. I know I can survive without using Apple products. Question is, do I really want to? Do I want to so I can customize my home screen, have a nicer display, have freedom?

Then I go to bed and wake up nice and refreshed on the Apple train and say what was I thinking last night!
That's what happens to me daily. I'm one way all day then I wake up like nope. Cant do it. So I did that for awhile then I finally put my sim in the Note. Havent touched my iPhone xs. But I know if I didn't have it sitting there I would want it back. So sick of this. I'm really trying to break free this time lol

robpz16

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I’m with you and it’s painful. About a year ago I took up guitar lessons, thinking a hobby might break my smartphone addiction. Didn’t work. I’m currently switching back and forth between the iPhone X and Note 9. I just love the Note but am worried I’d miss the smoothness of iOS (and iMessages) if I sold the X. And I’ve also proved to be an absolutely terrible guitar player. No skill at all.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I’m with you and it’s painful. About a year ago I took up guitar lessons, thinking a hobby might break my smartphone addiction. Didn’t work. I’m currently switching back and forth between the iPhone X and Note 9. I just love the Note but am worried I’d miss the smoothness of iOS (and iMessages) if I sold the X. And I’ve also proved to be an absolutely terrible guitar player. No skill at all.

Haha that is pretty funny but hey at least you tried a new hobby! Our hobby (phone switching) is unique and hard to break free of!

I have the iPhone X too. When the XS came out I was like here we go again, A lame “S” line that is still $1,000 and I have a perfectly fine X that I paid $1,000 for a year ago. I usually jump on every new iPhone but at these prices now, it isn’t worth the tiny improvements to the camera and speakers for me. I have a feeling come September it’s going to be the same lame Apple coming out with a 3-lens camera and NOTHING else to offer. And I’m not paying $1,000 for that either! I just got a note 9 for $400 less than that and it does countless more things than the iPhone does. So, I’m paying $1,000 for an ecosystem basically that yes maybe it makes my life easier but is it something I MUST have??? Every one else that doesn’t use iPhones gets by just fine!

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

Well, if they respect you and your decision they wouldn't mind downloading another app to talk to you! Besides I'm sure they have WhatsApp or something of that sort?

I was also like that... My previous phone was an iPhone 7 and I was considering between the note 9 or waiting for the XS max. In the end I pre-ordered the note 9 and even though I sometimes feel like the odd one out without an iPhone, I feel so much more special than my peers. Your note 9, coupled with something simple like goodlock will make you forget everything else:)

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site

I was like both of you for year...iPhone,iPad, Apple watch...FULLY submerged in the eco-system. i was, and still am a huge Steve Jobs fan, i honestly believe that if we still alive, Apple would be light years ahead of where they are today because he had a vision. but after he turned the company over...Apple lost its edge. i slowed down on purchases of apple products...i still have the 4th Gen iPad...i had the Iphone 8+ because i refused to upgrade to the X for multiple reasons, and the 3rd Gen Apple watch. when the iPhone X came out, my friend who was an apple junkie lie me, pre-ordered it and was disappointing within a few weeks and sold it and went back to his 8+ that he still had, and that made me start thinking "what has apple really done in the last few iterations of their product that is keeping me?" i was paying for storage, apple music, apple care...it was cool that all my devices connected, this is what Mr Jobs dream was, that everything in your home was connected, but he's not here anymore, and his dream isn't being carried on the way it should be. so my friend and i, who are undercover tech geeks looked at every iphone/ipad series that came out and came to the realization that after Steve jobs passed, Apple became stagnant, there were no more ground breaking changes, and there hadn't been in a long time. When apple hit the market, there was nothing else to compare it to, every other company was trying to reach the level that Apple was on, but fell way short. Now, Apple is no longer ahead of the curve, it's now apart of the pack, and frankly, i believe that it's coming in 2nd, or maybe even 3rd. Long story short, after researching and testing out several phones This Note 9 was probably one of, if not THE, best Phablets ever produces. i cut Apple off cold turkey! it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, switched from apple music to spotify, all my purchased music that i purchased through apple is on my old laptop that i use for storage and my ipad (that i now rarely use) gave my watch to my nephew so i can get the Samsung watch later this month...it's doable, you can leave apple!

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I've got everything I need on this Note 9, I've transferred everything over. Can literally walk away from Apple and sell my iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I totally believe my Note 9 is the better device. I'm compelled to walk away from Apple just for the simple fact that I don't like this feeling of being confined to the ecosystem. For this reason alone I think im gonna take the total plunge and walk. I intend to buy a windows PC soon. Now to research awesome windows PC's!!! Somehow I don't think my tech addiction will end here lol

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
I've got everything I need on this Note 9, I've transferred everything over. Can literally walk away from Apple and sell my iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I totally believe my Note 9 is the better device. I'm compelled to walk away from Apple just for the simple fact that I don't like this feeling of being confined to the ecosystem. For this reason alone I think im gonna take the total plunge and walk. I intend to buy a windows PC soon. Now to research awesome windows PC's!!! Somehow I don't think my tech addiction will end here lol

you know, i haven't had a laptop/desktop for a long time. i built one years ago that i only use for storage, but i havent had the need to use one since i've had the tablet/phone combo. i think i may consider getting a new one...

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
you know, i haven't had a laptop/desktop for a long time. i built one years ago that i only use for storage, but i havent had the need to use one since i've had the tablet/phone combo. i think i may consider getting a new one...
I think it'll be totally refreshing to set up a gorgeous faster windows PC. I have a 2014 iMac, my husband's 6 year old windows PC runs way faster. I think this is gonna be way more fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz