Any Note 8 or 9 Users going to the dark side? (iPhone XsMax)

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was like both of you for year...iPhone,iPad, Apple watch...FULLY submerged in the eco-system. i was, and still am a huge Steve Jobs fan, i honestly believe that if we still alive, Apple would be light years ahead of where they are today because he had a vision. but after he turned the company over...Apple lost its edge. i slowed down on purchases of apple products...i still have the 4th Gen iPad...i had the Iphone 8+ because i refused to upgrade to the X for multiple reasons, and the 3rd Gen Apple watch. when the iPhone X came out, my friend who was an apple junkie lie me, pre-ordered it and was disappointing within a few weeks and sold it and went back to his 8+ that he still had, and that made me start thinking "what has apple really done in the last few iterations of their product that is keeping me?" i was paying for storage, apple music, apple care...it was cool that all my devices connected, this is what Mr Jobs dream was, that everything in your home was connected, but he's not here anymore, and his dream isn't being carried on the way it should be. so my friend and i, who are undercover tech geeks looked at every iphone/ipad series that came out and came to the realization that after Steve jobs passed, Apple became stagnant, there were no more ground breaking changes, and there hadn't been in a long time. When apple hit the market, there was nothing else to compare it to, every other company was trying to reach the level that Apple was on, but fell way short. Now, Apple is no longer ahead of the curve, it's now apart of the pack, and frankly, i believe that it's coming in 2nd, or maybe even 3rd. Long story short, after researching and testing out several phones This Note 9 was probably one of, if not THE, best Phablets ever produces. i cut Apple off cold turkey! it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, switched from apple music to spotify, all my purchased music that i purchased through apple is on my old laptop that i use for storage and my ipad (that i now rarely use) gave my watch to my nephew so i can get the Samsung watch later this month...it's doable, you can leave apple!

You couldn’t have said it better and everything you said is how I feel. It is definitely doable, I am just so brainwashed into this ecosystem. Steve Jobs gave me the passion to use and buy Apple products. Ever since he died, the whole company has gone to crap. They are shady, overpriced, zero implementation, and stale....but their lame software is very stable, they have good customer service, and the ecosystem is beyond seamless. I don’t think you can find that smartwatch/smartphone combo elsewhere. Maybe one day.

How do you like your Samsung watch?

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
You couldn’t have said it better and everything you said is how I feel. It is definitely doable, I am just so brainwashed into this ecosystem. Steve Jobs gave me the passion to use and buy Apple products. Ever since he died, the whole company has gone to crap. They are shady, overpriced, zero implementation, and stale....but their lame software is very stable, they have good customer service, and the ecosystem is beyond seamless. I don’t think you can find that smartwatch/smartphone combo elsewhere. Maybe one day.

How do you like your Samsung watch?

i didn't get the Samsung watch yet, it should be here next week. but when i did the research, i think i noticed that it's iphone 5 that was the last "BIG" improvement for iphone. Steve Job's plan was to have everything in your home connected, remember he was Apple tv was coming out before he passed, but it wasn't a finished idea, but you see what happened to it since he's passed. i dont care what anyone says, if Steve Jobs was still alive, i truly don't believe that we'd be talking about any other phones right now. He was so different and his ideas were so different...but now apple is no longer "different"...they were once trend setters, now they're 3-5 years behind the curve (they still use a slower charger than android, they started using face recognition and fingerprints years after android...)...i could go on, but you get the picture!

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
i didn't get the Samsung watch yet, it should be here next week. but when i did the research, i think i noticed that it's iphone 5 that was the last "BIG" improvement for iphone. Steve Job's plan was to have everything in your home connected, remember he was Apple tv was coming out before he passed, but it wasn't a finished idea, but you see what happened to it since he's passed. i dont care what anyone says, if Steve Jobs was still alive, i truly don't believe that we'd be talking about any other phones right now. He was so different and his ideas were so different...but now apple is no longer "different"...they were once trend setters, now they're 3-5 years behind the curve (they still use a slower charger than android, they started using face recognition and fingerprints years after android...)...i could go on, but you get the picture!
I totally get the picture, can go on for a while!

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I've got everything I need on this Note 9, I've transferred everything over. Can literally walk away from Apple and sell my iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I totally believe my Note 9 is the better device. I'm compelled to walk away from Apple just for the simple fact that I don't like this feeling of being confined to the ecosystem. For this reason alone I think im gonna take the total plunge and walk. I intend to buy a windows PC soon. Now to research awesome windows PC's!!! Somehow I don't think my tech addiction will end here lol

You can check out HP! Slightly more expensive than its equivalents but they have good build quality, or maybe I was just lucky with their PCs and printers and laptops

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
You can check out HP! Slightly more expensive than its equivalents but they have good build quality, or maybe I was just lucky with their PCs and printers and laptops
Yes! That's the brand I'm leaning towards!! Maybe the Pavillion All in One. Or another All in One from them. Exciting.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Yes! That's the brand I'm leaning towards!! Maybe the Pavillion All in One. Or another All in One from them. Exciting.

I have the spectre x360 from HP. Its currently on its third year with me now, happy with it except I dropped it once and now the headphone jack has some hearing issues haha. It's looks has held up well, still looks really sleek as it has a aluminium body.

And also, HP has pretty good customer service!

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Please give it up. It's not as limited as you think. There are a lot of things you can't do on Android either that works on iOS. Ive been a Android user since 2009 I believe. And also a iOS user since around that time. I usually own both phones. I've owned every Note phone except the original Note and Note 2. My Note 9 had issues with the camera freezing and Samsung just unwilling to fix the issue with mine and 1000s of other people that have the issue on Samsung community that I ditched it for the XS Max. I still have my S9 plus though which has been a great phone. The XS Max is been a solid device and does what anyone needs. It works for anything I request of it, it has serious long battery life compared to my Note ever had or any device really, great design and feels better built in my hand. However, I do miss my Note for the spen, and taking notes. I like the split screen with youtube and emails or browser. I liked having different tones for different apps. Yes, some things iOS can't do, but they aren't as big of a deal as many make it out to be. Do I miss them really other than the spen? No.

I am watching for the Note 10....as I maybe back.

I also don't like curved screen but to buy IOS device becouse of that? Ios is so damn limited.. Can't do a lot of things... Well, I will swallow curves of note 9 and stay...

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the galaxy watch but returned it. The battery was not good at all and it would overheat. I figured I'll just stick with my Apple Watch. I agree with you all about the quality control of Apple Products...it's not there like it used to be. The camera quality has gone down since the iPhone 7 and I'm tired of their backpedaling in regards to battery replacements, etc.

TechBob

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If so curious why and reasoning.
Personally, I bought the Note 9 when it came out and quiet pleased with it. I like the battery life, screen, and common things such as the weather display, google search bar, size (long/tall), memory, however, still having a bit of a learning curve... Will really be hard for apple to beat N9 IMO. both great phones however. We will just have to wait and see.... apple will be giving Samsung some stiff competition nonetheless-

I own both (T-Mobile branded) as I support both platforms for work. My daily driver is my Note 9, but I have eyed an Apple Watch lately, so I have tried to switch several times. Each time I put my SIM card in, out it comes in 10 minutes. Why? Network performance. About half the speed on downloads. Consistently and in various areas. I took my Max to an area that I can consistently get between 50 and 100 megabits down on my Note. My Max, I don't think I got out of the teens.

Yes, I have been in contact with T-Mobile. They sent a new SIM card, but nothing changed. My Note is consistently much faster. So, no chance there is an Apple watch in my future and no chance the Max will be much more than a device on my desk that gets used just often enough to keep familiar with it.

By the way. nothing I can prove as it was said on the phone, but the T-Mobile tech said they have had a lot of complaints about network performance on the Max.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I own both (T-Mobile branded) as I support both platforms for work. My daily driver is my Note 9, but I have eyed an Apple Watch lately, so I have tried to switch several times. Each time I put my SIM card in, out it comes in 10 minutes. Why? Network performance. About half the speed on downloads. Consistently and in various areas. I took my Max to an area that I can consistently get between 50 and 100 megabits down on my Note. My Max, I don't think I got out of the teens.

Yes, I have been in contact with T-Mobile. They sent a new SIM card, but nothing changed. My Note is consistently much faster. So, no chance there is an Apple watch in my future and no chance the Max will be much more than a device on my desk that gets used just often enough to keep familiar with it.

By the way. nothing I can prove as it was said on the phone, but the T-Mobile tech said they have had a lot of complaints about network performance on the Max.
Doesn't surprise me much, I've had the same experience. Plus mine kept losing the wifi connection. Same goes for my MacBook pro though - much slower on the network than my Surface Book 2 and also keeps losing wifi (and Bluetooth) connection all the time

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I sold my Max for that very reason. Was not sure if it was the towers here or what...

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
to me, the only thing better about the Iphone is Imessages. But we just work around it by using whatsap. Everytime I think I want an Iphone I end up returning it. My son will see me wanting one and go, "mom...you hate Iphone..it's not going to change."

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
to me, the only thing better about the Iphone is Imessages. But we just work around it by using whatsap. Everytime I think I want an Iphone I end up returning it. My son will see me wanting one and go, "mom...you hate Iphone..it's not going to change."
Lol. I have been very loyal to the Note line since the Note 2, but I've always kept an iPhone around because my family is all iOS. Within the last year, my son went from an iPhone 5s to a Moto G6 and now my "old" Note 8. Everytime I use my iPhone he looks at me and says, "dad, I don't know how you can use that". I definitely prefer Android, but I've never really hated the iPhone or Apple products. He absolutely refuses to use anything Apple now. At such a young age he not only prefers Android to iOS, but has observed some of Apple's business practices/choices and strongly dislikes the company. He understands that Apple isn't the only shady company out there, but he has definitely taken a strong stance against them.