Question about charging

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, I contacted Samsung support about this, and was advised that Fast Charging will not degrade the battery.

Samsung are not going to provide a function on the phone and then advise it may then shorten the battery life ;)

I'm on the fence with this as I've seen no concrete evidence fast charging adversely affects battery life.

As I've said I fast charge rarely and prefer to top up the battery as and when.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Samsung are not going to provide a function on the phone and then advise it may then shorten the battery life ;)

I'm on the fence with this as I've seen no concrete evidence fast charging adversely affects battery life.

As I've said I fast charge rarely and prefer to top up the battery as and when.

It's like everything else in this universe. Make something work harder and faster and of course it wears quicker. A small turbo engine will not have the same life span as an engine not spinning a turbo. Driving at 100 mph will wear tyres out faster than at 60 mph.

And pumping 5 plus amps of current through a battery will of course degrade it faster than at 2 amps.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

Below is a portion of the above link.

Apply the ultra-fast charge only when necessary. A well-designed ultra-fast charger should have charge-time selection to give the user the option to choose the least stressful charge for the time allotted. Figure 2 compares the cycle life of a typical lithium-ion battery when charged and discharged at 1C, 2C and 3C rates. The longevity can further be prolonged by charging and discharging below 1C; 0.8C is the recommended rate.

Figure 2: Cycle performance of Li-ion with 1C, 2C and 3C charge and discharge.
Charging and discharging Li-ion above 1C reduces service life. Use a slower charge and discharge if possible. This rule applies to most batteries.

I don't know why this is being questioned. It's really standard industry stuff. Charge faster/wirelessly and you reduce battery life cycles. Charge slower and you increase battery life cycles. I thought this was common knowledge.

You do realize the article you linked to describes how to implement fast charging without battery degradation right? Or is described primarily in academic context and doesn't really get into how well manufacturers and the current technology are using these concepts. The portion you quoted describes what appears to be steady charge and discharge scenarios only to help describe why the variable charge speed is necessary.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
It really is fairly common sense that the hotter a battery gets, the less it performs and more damaging it is. Why do you think they say to keep Li-Ion batteries away from heat? They're volatile, any amount of heat to them is "bad". What do fast charging and wireless charging to? Heat them up. When it's really hot out and you're using your phone a lot, have you never noticed the battery dies faster when it's all toasty? If not, pay attention next time.

Is it night and day difference? Probably not, but don't say it's not the case at all. The technology has improved a lot but you can't stop the nature of Li-Ions completely. For that reason I only fast charge when I need to, why have it fast charging overnight while you sleep? It makes no sense.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For that reason I only fast charge when I need to, why have it fast charging overnight while you sleep? It makes no sense.
You do realize that once the battery reaches 100% it doesn't keep constantly charging? If you look, you'll see the lightning bolt disappear from the battery icon and the green light comes on and the text on the screen says fully charged. Leaving it on the charger does zero damage.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that once the battery reaches 100% it doesn't keep constantly charging? If you look, you'll see the lightning bolt disappear from the battery icon and the green light comes on and the text on the screen says fully charged. Leaving it on the charger does zero damage.

I didn't say it did, that has nothing to do with the rest of my post. I said it's pointless to fast charge while you sleep because you have at least 6 hours to charge the phone, there's no point over-amping the battery and heating things up when regardless it's going to be fully charged when you wake up.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say it did, that has nothing to do with the rest of my post. I said it's pointless to fast charge while you sleep because you have at least 6 hours to charge the phone, there's no point over-amping the battery and heating things up when regardless it's going to be fully charged when you wake up.

Ok, just checking. As I said, leaving it on the fast charger over night doesn't harm the battery.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just checking. As I said, leaving it on the fast charger over night doesn't harm the battery.

Leaving it on the charger in either mode after it's fully charged won't hurt it. It even ramps down as it nears completion, as most chargers do. Fast charge does degrade at a faster rate, there's really no debate about it for the reasons outlined in this thread. Drive something harder than usual and things wear faster, it's common nature. The turbo post made 100% sense even in the battery world. Or even a turbo that has more boost applied to it than originally designed, yes it can handle it but if you spin that turbo up faster it's going to wear out faster.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I contacted Samsung support about this, and was advised that Fast Charging will not degrade the battery.

Of course. I've seen no evidence that it does degrade the battery going back all the way to the original battery for my Note 4/Note Edge. I still have those phones with the original batteries and they still function for a full day after all this time.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I just came from a phone that uses QC 3.0 and saw no battery deviation after a year an a half. Didn't know this phone only used QC 2.0, which is strange for a current flagship, I assumed they used current standards.