Question about charging

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I am still waiting for my coral blue 512 GB Note 9 on preorder. I've been looking up this phone online to learn about it before I get it and I have a question about charging.

I learnt that in settings there is an option to disable both fast and fast wireless charging. I won't use wireless charging but I am asking about fast charging.

The charger that the phone comes with out of the box, does that charge both fast and regularly? The option to switch between normal and fast charging, in other words, does that apply to the supplied charger or do you have to buy a separate charger to enable fast charging? I don't want to actually use fast charging but I am curious.

Thanks.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. I am still waiting for my coral blue 512 GB Note 9 on preorder. I've been looking up this phone online to learn about it before I get it and I have a question about charging.

I learnt that in settings there is an option to disable both fast and fast wireless charging. I won't use wireless charging but I am asking about fast charging.

The charger that the phone comes with out of the box, does that charge both fast and regularly? The option to switch between normal and fast charging, in other words, does that apply to the supplied charger or do you have to buy a separate charger to enable fast charging? I don't want to actually use fast charging but I am curious.

Thanks.

Yes. The charger cord and brick that comes with the phone will fast charge and regular charge.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The cord that comes with the phone will fast charge and regular charge.

Ok, so I imagine that the average person wouldn't think about that, just plug it in and start charging. Out of the box, what is the default charging, fast or regular?

What would the majority of users charge at, fast or regular?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so I imagine that the average person wouldn't think about that, just plug it in and start charging. Out of the box, what is the default charging, fast or regular?

I use fast charging. And to be honest I think the default is set to fast charging cause I don't remember having to turn it on the first time I put it on charger when I first took it out of the box.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Fast charging is default. I would imagine that's what most would prefer.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will switch to regular charging out of the box to see what's it like. Fast charging does degrade the battery quicker than standard charging which is my concern.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will switch to regular charging out of the box to see what's it like. Fast charging does degrade the battery quicker than standard charging which is my concern.

You're welcome. I use fast charging since it's quicker and I'm not the most patient person lol. Haven't had any issues on my note8 using fast charging. And hope for the same on my note9.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I've used fast - S8+, Note 8 and 9 including using a Samsung QC wireless charging pad.

I haven't kept a phone two years ever.

Make sure to use good USBC cables and chargers, and you're good to go.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Please post the source showing fast charging degrades battery.

Standard industry knowledge. Fast and wireless charging definitely reduces battery life. And it reduces battery life because both fast and wireless charging increases, (beyond regular charging) the battery temperature during charging which over time reduces battery life.

If you plan to upgrade in a year I suppose who cares. But if you plan to hang on to your phone for a few years, you'd want to avoid both fast and wireless charging.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Standard industry knowledge. Fast and wireless charging definitely reduces battery life. And it reduces battery life because both fast and wireless charging increases, (beyond regular charging) the battery temperature during charging which over time reduces battery life.

If you plan to upgrade in a year I suppose who cares. But if you plan to hang on to your phone for a few years, you'd want to avoid both fast and wireless charging.

Reference please...

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Please post your source for this.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Just refrain from using uncertified wireless charging pads or wired chargers. If you're especially worried about battery damage, only use the certified fast chargers (wireless and wired) provided by the phone manufacturer. In this threads case that would be Samsung.

Rumor, innuendo and conjecture is the antithesis of truth.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
People I think are basing their preferences on fast charging and what the ramifications can be from going from tech sites and blogs and the advice they give.

Personally I prefer normal charging as fast charging has the possibility to cause heat in the phone / battery hence why some chargers have fans in them.

I charge overnight or simply top up the battery when needed.

Fast charging for me is if I need a short burst of charging due to time limitations so it's very much the exception and not the norm for me.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

Below is a portion of the above link.

Apply the ultra-fast charge only when necessary. A well-designed ultra-fast charger should have charge-time selection to give the user the option to choose the least stressful charge for the time allotted. Figure 2 compares the cycle life of a typical lithium-ion battery when charged and discharged at 1C, 2C and 3C rates. The longevity can further be prolonged by charging and discharging below 1C; 0.8C is the recommended rate.

Figure 2: Cycle performance of Li-ion with 1C, 2C and 3C charge and discharge.
Charging and discharging Li-ion above 1C reduces service life. Use a slower charge and discharge if possible. This rule applies to most batteries.

I don't know why this is being questioned. It's really standard industry stuff. Charge faster/wirelessly and you reduce battery life cycles. Charge slower and you increase battery life cycles. I thought this was common knowledge.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Driving a car wears down tires, too! ������

Yes. And driving it at 100 mph wears it down faster than driving it at 60 mph, for the same distance travelled.

Charging a phone at a high amperage will of course degrade a battery faster than at a low amperage. Nothing to dispute here. If you plan to keep your phone for maximum 2 years as per the standard new phone contract, all good and well.

I'm only saying for those that like to keep phones longer, something to consider.

I kept my Galaxy S5 for 4 years not because I couldn't afford to upgrade, but because I don't get a buzz out of upgrading regularly. Features don't change much year to year and I'll really enjoy the much improved experience coming from a 4 yr old phone.

I know I will definitely disable fast charging and test to see how long my Note 9 takes to charge.

But I'm a bit of a fuss pot I know. I won't be charging my Note 9 much past 90% (apart from the first charge out of the box) and I won't let it run down below 40%. These are all standard Li. ion battery care tips.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why this is being questioned. It's really standard industry stuff. Charge faster/wirelessly and you reduce battery life cycles. Charge slower and you increase battery life cycles. I thought this was common knowledge.
I've never seen any evidence that this is true. I still have every Android phone except for my S8+. My Note 4/Note Edge phones still have the original batteries that charge and run for a full day just as they did when the phones were new. I charged these batteries using fast charge every single day. My Note 5, Note 8, 3 S7 Edge phones were all the same. I fast charged them every day and all of these phones still last a full day just as they did new. I still keep the S7 Edge phones charged and most of the time, I just leave them sitting on the fast wireless charger for days.

I say just charge the battery however you feel like. Even long term, you will not notice any difference on todays phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma