I'm So Nervous About Applying My Whitestone!

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So, I've had my note for 2 weeks now. I still haven't even taken the plastic film off the screen, so that I have some sort of protection. I also wanted to wait until my return period was over, to make sure I was keeping it before installing a screen protector. Anyway, my whitestone dome came a couple days ago. I've watched plenty of installation videos, but I'm still very nervous. This is obviously my first whitestone. I've only ever used your usual film and glass self adhering screen protectors. Is it as hard as the installation videos make it look? I've read quite a few horror stories of glue spilling down the sides and back of the phone. Also of bubbles forming after installation and the screen protector moving or sliding after installation. I guess I just need a few people to talk me down and tell me everything is going to be OK. Haha.

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
So, I've had my note for 2 weeks now. I still haven't even taken the plastic film off the screen, so that I have some sort of protection. I also wanted to wait until my return period was over, to make sure I was keeping it before installing a screen protector. Anyway, my whitestone dome came a couple days ago. I've watched plenty of installation videos, but I'm still very nervous. This is obviously my first whitestone. I've only ever used your usual film and glass self adhering screen protectors. Is it as hard as the installation videos make it look? I've read quite a few horror stories of glue spilling down the sides and back of the phone. Also of bubbles forming after installation and the screen protector moving or sliding after installation. I guess I just need a few people to talk me down and tell me everything is going to be OK. Haha.

I'm assuming you got it from Amazon? If you screw it up, just return it to Amazon if you're in the 30 day return period. I have done it before with the S9+ and I just bought another one and tried again.

With that said, I didn't use a screen protector on my Note8 for a good few months and now I haven't used a screen protector on my S9+ in at least a month (because I am selling it for the Note9) and I have 0 scratches. I don't really think you need a screen protector for scratches, more for drops in case it falls face down on a rock or something and the screen shatters. Just don't put your phone in a pocket with keys or other sharp objects and it should be scratch free.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I did purchase from Amazon. The problem for me is that I work in construction. So often times, my pocket may get filled with sawdust or debri that could easily scratch my screen.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have installed the Whitestone Dome on my Note8, my sister's, and my friend's and all have been perfect installations. Now, the first time I installed mine, I had to do it twice because the glue spilled over (and even if it does, it doesn't harm the phone - just clean it up and start over - this is why they provide you with two glues). I watched the installation videos enough times until I memorized how to do it and since then, it's been a breeze putting the screen protector on. Takes me about 5-10 minutes. Just relax and take your time. What helped me the first time is that I had the video going and followed each step. I paused the video after each step and performed it myself until I got the hang of it. The WhiteStone Dome is the perfect screen protector for a curved device as it makes if feel as if you don't have a screen protector on at all.

Trust me, you're going to be okay. Remember to stay relaxed and take your time. Use the video as a reference if need be.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I was exactly the same, but I watched 2 or 3 install videos and then done it myself in steps and slowly and it turned out perfectly first time.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I was the same as you.

Just allow plenty of time to carry out the install.

The other important pre checks is to ensure your work surface is even.

Test it by using one of the glue tubes to see if it rolls.

That or a spirit level or spirit level app.

Make sure the T sticker that goes over the speaker grill is just over it and does not encroach into the screen.

I also used a torch to show up any pesky dust. ;)

Kaolinchemist

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
My first experience with Whitestone Dome Glass was also with my Note 9 and my wife's. I agree with all the above posters. Watch install videos several times and make sure your surface is level. That being said ALSO make sure you push the phone down into the plastic template all the way until it's level in there as well. I did my Note 9 first with no problem, but when I did my wife's Note 9, I guess I didn't have her phone all the way down flat. When I opened the top the glue ran straight off the right side of the Note 9 and behind it. I was pissed. Luckily they had a third stick of glue in the 2 pack I bought. So they key points are make sure your table surface is level and make sure the phone is pushed down level in the plastic holder. I didn't have any bubble issues at all. I can't remember the video but I let the glue spread for two minutes after dropping the protector on with each of my phones. Also WHitestone and Amazon are very good to deal with if you mess up. Once you get it on and see how good it looks and feels it will be worth you time and careful effort.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well... I finally did it. I wouldn't call it a fail... But it wasn't successful. Somewhow,the adhesive spilled out on the top. I couldn't tell at first, but when I tried to remove the top tray, it was stuck. When I finally got it apart, there was glue residue between the trays and on my phone. My surface was completely level. I'm a little worried that adhesive may have gotten into the top microphone. Also, there is some cracks or spiderwebbing about 1/3 up the right side. Will these go away?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Edit: the cracks and spiderwebbing on the right side actually seems to be growing up the screen. I haven't even put it back in the case yet

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
The T shaped sticker should have stopped any adhesive getting into the top speaker.

The only bit of glue reside was a tiny blob on the side of the phone which came off using the alcohol pad after curing using the Uv lamp.

The finish I think is supposed to be clear from the offset.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the microphone on the very top of the phone, not the earpiece. The glue somehow leaked and got on the top edge of my phone.

Kaolinchemist

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
Sounds like the droplet was too high when you dropped the glass onto the screen. I assume you titled the phone towards you and then dropped the glass as the droplet was in the center. But if you used the Ethanol rubbing alcohol pads before the long final UV cure, you should have been able to get any extra LOCA glue residue off. Sorry it didn't go very smooth. If there are spiderlines or cracks I would definitely file a return with Whitestone through Amazon and they should send you a free replacement kit. It most likely won't have the UV light, so keep that with you.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
This was on sale in my local shopping center in a stall but I have decided I don't want to go down that route. I'm still waiting for my Note 9 but I have ordered and received 2 screen protectors. A Max 3D tempered glass screen and an Olixar 2 pack film protector.

The tempered glass protector is a dot matrix one that apparently is the thinnest I've seen in specs, 0.2mm. In case I don't find that satisfactory, I'll put the film protector on.

I'm actually a big fan of film protectors. They're dead easy to put on, there are quality wet installation ones like Spigen neo flex and they are very thin and cheap. Scratch one and just pull it off and put another one on in 2 mins.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Those wet protectors are good but the spen feels strange on them, and leaves a line were you've wrote indented in it (if that makes sense) but it goes away.

The worst thing about them though is the dust round the edges on them drives me nuts!

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

U must not be on at&t lol

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I did purchase from Amazon. The problem for me is that I work in construction. So often times, my pocket may get filled with sawdust or debri that could easily scratch my screen.
I work in a body shop and deal with the same. I always have a case on but find dust and grit gets between the case and the back glass. So I always install a skin on the back as well under the case. I hated the options for the note 9 and curved glass in general. So I did the Dome glass and install was flawless if you read the directions and watch videos on you tube.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I spilled glue down the sides and back of my phone when I applied my Whitestone, but that's because I wasn't on a perfectly level surface. Make sure you're surface is perfectly flat. Use a level. Once you have a flat surface, then it's safe to apply the screen protector.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My surface was level. The adhesive stayed put when I released it. Another thing that didn't make sense was when I dropped the screen protector, it made contact with the adhesive immediately. It didn't wait until I pulled the tab out of the top.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
I'm assuming you got it from Amazon? If you screw it up, just return it to Amazon if you're in the 30 day return period. I have done it before with the S9+ and I just bought another one and tried again.

With that said, I didn't use a screen protector on my Note8 for a good few months and now I haven't used a screen protector on my S9+ in at least a month (because I am selling it for the Note9) and I have 0 scratches. I don't really think you need a screen protector for scratches, more for drops in case it falls face down on a rock or something and the screen shatters. Just don't put your phone in a pocket with keys or other sharp objects and it should be scratch free.

I think the OP is nervous about glue spilling down the back and sides of his $1000 phone Don't think it's about the screen protector itself - could be wrong though.

For what's it worth I have zero desire for glue to be on any of my phone screens. Let alone spilling down anywhere else on my phone.