Why do I always need a pin to unlock when fingerprint and intelligent scan is enabled?

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, 99% of the time I'd need to use my pin to unlock my note 9. Why can't I just use either fingerprint or intelligent scan? My old s8+ rarely asks me to use my pin. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? If I try to remove pin unlock, and use swipe to unlock, then it says it'll remove all my biometrics. Any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does fingerprint fail? Or you're getting the 'security' feature that requires your pin/password instead of biometrics at random times and certain situations (like trying to do it your phone right after it's been re-locked if it was unlocked by Smart Lock, after some location changes, and after failed attempts)?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Remove and redo your face and Iris bio.

It is fussy about distance, phone's angle, etc. FaceID on iPhone X for me always works over it "learns" more over time.

Try setting it up again. No reason to change pin or use swipe.

I do have my finger where it can automatically go to the fingerprint sensor, which is fast(er) - and reliable.

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
no it doesn't even ask for fingerprint or biometrics, it just go straight to "enter your PIN, as required by the security policy, instead of using your biometrics". i do have smart lock enabled at this location, but it never unlocks when i hard press the square.

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
i did try to remove the PIN unlock, and it erases all my saved biometrics. i then set it up again, but same results.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
no it doesn't even ask for fingerprint or biometrics, it just go straight to "enter your PIN, as required by the security policy, instead of using your biometrics".
Is this a corporate phone where they may have set up a restrictive security policy?

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait

Had to disable Bluetooth and set power button lock... Too many trusted devices that bypass my security.

I can't see any reason for your problem. Do you have outlook installed? Any sort of corporate Microsoft or Google account?

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Wait

Had to disable Bluetooth and set power button lock... Too many trusted devices that bypass my security.

I can't see any reason for your problem. Do you have outlook installed? Any sort of corporate Microsoft or Google account?

no corporate stuff on this phone.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've got nothing. I'm sure you've already done this, but... Perhaps start clean. Remove all security, delete all biometrics. Add a pin and then smart unlock, scan your face looking at it the way you normally do, not just like perfect conditions.

But honestly, if fingerprints are not doing it, it's unlikely face unlock will.

This has to be super frustrating. It's been a while since I had a problem with a Samsung phone or watch like this.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
If you press the icon I circled in the picture, it will require a pin, password, or pattern to unlock the phone. It's not uncommon to accidentally press it since it's close to where the home button is.

Attachments

• 4190.jpg
    4190.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 48

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Do you have any app enabled as device administrator in your security?

i think i have figured out what the problem is. it's one of my app, double tap screen on and off, that uses device admin. i've just disabled it and it's working as it should. it's unfortunate that the app was working fine on my s8+ since may 2017, but sucks that it's causing such problem on the note 9.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
i think i have figured out what the problem is. it's one of my app, double tap screen on and off, that uses device admin. i've just disabled it and it's working as it should. it's unfortunate that the app was working fine on my s8+ since may 2017, but sucks that it's causing such problem on the note 9.
Excellent! Glad you managed to figure it out. Which app?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope that feature (at least to turn the screen on) makes it to the Note 9 et. al. It's natively on the Tab S4 now (and I loved it when it turned the screen off, too, when I had an LG).