I'm looking for a new app to use for text messaging, I'm looking at Textra, Handcent Next, and PulseSMS. I want to be able to customize the background and bubbles, good group texting support, GIF abilities, and show iPhone emoji's since I text a lot of apple people.
    09-12-2018 01:12 PM
    I have used both Handcent and Pulse. I am now with Pulse full time. Haven't used Handcent in many years. I think I had some odd activity back then so I stopped using it. Probably long fixed by now.

Try them!
    09-12-2018 02:32 PM
    I have used both Handcent and Pulse. I am now with Pulse full time. Haven't used Handcent in many years. I think I had some odd activity back then so I stopped using it. Probably long fixed by now.

Try them!
    Awesome, I'll be giving them a try soon. What all do I have to do to get the notifications right and also have the notification show up on my galaxy watch? Sorry for the numb questions but just recently moved back to android from years of ios
    09-12-2018 03:03 PM
    Textra or mood for custimization.
    However through theming you can change a lot on the stock messenger, and the background is changeable. Plus it seems more stable.
    09-12-2018 03:10 PM
    Textra or mood for custimization.
    However through theming you can change a lot on the stock messenger, and the background is changeable. Plus it seems more stable.
    Where is this setting at?
    09-12-2018 03:16 PM
    customize the background and bubbles, good group texting support, GIF abilities, and show iPhone emoji's
    Textra lets you do all this...been using it for a bit now and really like it
    mach1man and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-12-2018 03:19 PM
    Where is this setting at?
    To change the background it's in settings, unless the note 9 removed it
    Attached Thumbnails Looking for a new Text Message app-16438.jpg  
    09-12-2018 03:43 PM
    Been using Textra for a few years, love it. It's not over bloated and gives you the right customizations you need.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-12-2018 03:58 PM
    I couldn't find that in the messaging app settings
    09-12-2018 04:00 PM
    The Samsung Messages version on the note 9 is newer than the note 8, and they've changed stuff around, so that screen no longer looks like that.

Unfortunately, Samsung also seems to have removed the ability to change the background.

Let's hope they update the note 9 messages app again soonish.
    09-12-2018 05:17 PM
    Over the years I've gone from stock (blah) to Textra to Chomp, and for the past one or two years Yaata. If you like to customize, you'll love it. I'm pretty certain if I live to 100 I wouldn't have the time to play with every single feature.

Three of my favorites are 1) the ability to delay sending an SMS or MMS until whatever time you specify, 2) square, NOT CIRCLE!!, contact pics, and 3) the ability to change to a thousand different color combinations.
    09-12-2018 05:48 PM
    Awesome, I'll be giving them a try soon. What all do I have to do to get the notifications right and also have the notification show up on my galaxy watch? Sorry for the numb questions but just recently moved back to android from years of ios
    As long as the notifications are on for texts on the phone and in the gear app, it should display on your watch, unless they changed something in the galaxy watch. Works like this on the gear s3. Textra allows me to reply to texts through the notification on the watch, but you can't initiate or respond to a text without a notification. As far as I know, that is reserved for the stock messaging app. I can't speak for other 3rd party messaging apps.
    09-12-2018 07:34 PM
    Textra and Mood are the only two text messaging apps that I know of that use iOS style emojis. Mood is a bit different because the emojis are animated so imagine the iOS emojis animated and it's actually a different experience. I've used Textra for a few years now and it's been my go to app. I've recently started playing with Mood and it brings a change of pace. I will probably alternate. When RCS is supported by my carrier, I hope these apps will be updated to support it. I think only the stock app and Android Messages support it so far.
    09-12-2018 08:23 PM
    Textra lets you do all this...been using it for a bit now and really like it
    How do you change the background in Textra other than white or dark theme?
    09-13-2018 08:06 AM
    As long as the notifications are on for texts on the phone and in the gear app, it should display on your watch, unless they changed something in the galaxy watch. Works like this on the gear s3. Textra allows me to reply to texts through the notification on the watch, but you can't initiate or respond to a text without a notification. As far as I know, that is reserved for the stock messaging app. I can't speak for other 3rd party messaging apps.
    I use Textra and I have been able to start new messages on my Galaxy watch.
    09-13-2018 08:08 AM
    How do you change the background in Textra other than white or dark theme?
    You can't add a photo or custom color...just change between light and dark
    09-13-2018 10:37 AM
    Textra is fantastic. Excellent notification options. Love it.
    09-13-2018 11:08 AM
    Google Messages is the shiz.

Add in the messages for web capabilities and I'll never go back to Samsung messages.
    jlangner likes this.
    09-13-2018 03:12 PM
    Google Messages is the shiz.

Add in the messages for web capabilities and I'll never go back to Samsung messages.
    Yep, Messages for Web for the win.
    09-13-2018 05:24 PM
    I'm not too wild about some of Handcent's permissions. Mainly close other apps, receive data from internet, and modify system settings.
    09-14-2018 09:31 AM
    are you Verizon? use messages plus
    09-14-2018 06:32 PM