If I'm not mistaken Live Focus was introduced last year in the Note 8. This allows users to change the depth of field before and after a photo is taken. With the new iPhone, they have copied this feature and claim "this has not been possible with any type of camera". It starts at around 1:13:45. Why does Apple wait a year or two to add a feature and then make it seem like it's new?

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/#mn_p
    09-13-2018 07:25 PM
    If I'm not mistaken Live Focus was introduced last year in the Note 8. This allows users to change the depth of field before and after a photo is taken. With the new iPhone, they have copied this feature and claim "this has not been possible with any type of camera". It starts at around 1:13:45. Why does Apple wait a year or two to add a feature and then make it seem like it's new?

Lol like Samsung gets a 512gb model, now apple has to as well lol. They claim something is new past couple iPhone launches. Like last year I think they claimed wireless charging was new. I was like ok then they must be living under a rock cause when did samsung start doing wireless charging? Around note 5, s6?
    09-13-2018 07:47 PM
    I like how the stupid thing FINALLY has stereo audio in its recordings, what did that take, 11 iterations of an iPhone? Reminds me of the time it took for them to allow copy and paste.
    EMGSM and kct1975 like this.
    09-13-2018 07:50 PM
    I like how the stupid thing FINALLY has stereo audio in its recordings, what did that take, 11 iterations of an iPhone? Reminds me of the time it took for them to allow copy and paste.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that.
    09-13-2018 07:56 PM
    The tl;dr is that I believe Apple means that a *realistic* adjustable bokeh effect hasn't been possible before. Samsung uses rough estimates while the new iPhones have a depth map that will eventually work with Lightroom to further tweak bokeh. No other phone produces a depth map I think.

Ok, so 2 things.

1. Live Focus has been a thing since the Nokia Lumia days, more primitive but it allowed you to change focus after the fact. It wasn't really a background blur per se but it was the same basic ideas. Since then, a plethora of Android phones have had their own version of it with various degrees of success, with the Samsung phones being the ones to refine it as of late.

2. I believe what Apple means is the realistic bokeh effect hasn't been possible before, thanks in part to their new A12 Bionic chip doing most of the heavy lifting. Even Samsung uses a rough estimate to calculate blur depth and one could argue, in ideal conditions, that the iPhone's bokeh comes out on top. The iPhone creates a depth map that if then uses to tweak background blur.

It still doesn't mean that they didn't blatantly lie on stage though, but it isnt the first time they do it and you'd better believe it won't be the last time either
    09-13-2018 07:59 PM
    No other phone produces a depth map I think.
    The HTC One M8 did (not sure if that was the first, or if that was new for the line). It has a secondary sensor that only captured depth info, and you could adjust focus and create other special effects after the shot was taken. It wasn't well refined because it was new technology, but it was rather fun to play with. I don't think it was independently usable, though. You could only make use of the depth info with the stock gallery app.
    09-13-2018 08:06 PM
    This just in water is wet!!!!!
    Rukbat, TheDonJ77 and kct1975 like this.
    09-13-2018 08:15 PM
    This just in water is wet!!!!!
    No it's not. It is dry.....🤪
    kevinpleasants and kct1975 like this.
    09-13-2018 08:16 PM
    Apple copies most everything
    Jewels81, kct1975 and TheDonJ77 like this.
    09-13-2018 08:29 PM
    Apple copies most everything
    Yup!

And then they claim that they invented (whatever features) and try to sue everyone else for using their new features
    09-13-2018 08:57 PM
    Yup!

And then they claim that they invented (whatever features) and try to sue everyone else for using their new features
    Apple is the only company that releases old technology and their followers think they reinvented the wheel.
    EMGSM and kct1975 like this.
    09-13-2018 09:40 PM
    I really do not understand how Apple manages to keep people under this spell.
    kct1975 likes this.
    09-13-2018 10:09 PM
    I really do not understand how Apple manages to keep people under this spell.
    The want for the Apple Logo and street cred

It does make me smile when Apple speak of innovation but some of what there doing has been implemented by others- Apple just slightly refine it and badge it with another name.

And then there's the enhancements and features in its iOS they introduce to which I've seen implemented from tweaks that jailbreakers have created. Lol.
    kct1975 and j_hansen like this.
    09-13-2018 11:23 PM
    No it's not. It is dry.....
    Water is wet. iWater is dry. Apple said so.
    09-14-2018 10:22 AM
    People who are so Apple brand loyal, for whatever reason, are interesting. They think they can't get a computer virus. That there device has somehow superior displays, though Samsung makes them. They are convinced only Apple software is the best for every task. They just discovered wireless charging. They glue there phone shut and don't allow SD cards. I could go on.
    I own an Airpad 2 4glte. It's nice, but they make it dumbed down, in contrast to an android os. It's there way to do it or you can't do it. The psychological tactics used by their marketing department is 1 of a kind. They convinced people that their phones reception was fine, it was that the user was holding the phone wrong. The phones bent when in the pocket, because the user sat wrong. The notch blocking a section of the playback screen is no big deal. I'm done.
    09-14-2018 10:33 AM
    Lol like Samsung gets a 512gb model, now apple has to as well lol. They claim something is new past couple iPhone launches. Like last year I think they claimed wireless charging was new. I was like ok then they must be living under a rock cause when did samsung start doing wireless charging? Around note 5, s6?
    Yeah they're always late to the party and all the Apple loyalists don't seem to see it. Funny cause it didn't used to be like that. I think that after the iPhone 3 or 4 Apple just ran out of ideas.
    Jewels81 and kct1975 like this.
    09-14-2018 12:13 PM
    Some people (and companies) live in their own realities - and the people who want nothing else swear by every ludicrous assertion. Samsung has the S-Pen, and no one has copied that (except the Chinese "Note" cloners). But wait - Apple will come out with HDR+ (done in software, of course), then claim that it's something that no one has been able to do. Remind me to stop yawning.
    Jewels81 likes this.
    09-14-2018 12:28 PM
    Water is wet. iWater is dry. Apple said so.
    Haha😂
    kct1975 likes this.
    09-14-2018 04:10 PM
    Yeah they're always late to the party and all the Apple loyalists don't seem to see it. Funny cause it didn't used to be like that. I think that after the iPhone 3 or 4 Apple just ran out of ideas.
    Lol Yelp. I love feeling free and not limited like apple.
    kct1975 likes this.
    09-14-2018 04:15 PM

Even in my honor 8 pro had this feature to adjust background blur...Apple is hilarious claiming 1st in everything...
    Nokia had wireless charging way before Samsung and apple
    kct1975 likes this.
    09-15-2018 08:03 AM
    Even in my honor 8 pro had this feature to adjust background blur...Apple is hilarious claiming 1st in everything...
    Nokia had wireless charging way before Samsung and apple
    Yeah, everyone just copies each other. This is all good for the consumer I guess.
    kct1975 likes this.
    09-15-2018 06:15 PM

Are you surprised?
    09-15-2018 06:38 PM
    Are you surprised?
    You're right. I shouldn't be.
    09-15-2018 07:48 PM