Potential future user with some questions (coming from an iPhone!)

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

seeing the prices of the new XS Max here in France and wanting a bigger screen than the iphone X I currently have, I am considering the Note.
Even if I have tended to own mostly iphones, I regularly buy Android phones (every 2-3 years I would say) to see how they evolve. The last one was an S7 Edge whose screen found its demise during my holidays as it rebounded on my bed onto the iPad that was unfortunately waiting here...and it broke the screen.

Hence, 1st question, is it as fragile as the S7 edge? In any case, I have already found 1 case (there does not seem to be a lot of choice, right) and a glass protector :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0?tag=tech0c1e-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6340548 [...] 5PR7&psc=1
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0?tag=tech0c1e-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6340548 [...] TIMU&psc=1

what do u think ? I am looking for a case that is rather slim but can still protect in case of a fall.

Other questions :

1. Are you happy with the S9 so far ? Is it fluid ?
2. How is the eye scan ? I saw a review saying that it was not very responsive.
3. Do you use the S pen a lot ? It seems to be doing quite a lot of things in theory but I am under the impression that in practice few people actually use it.
4. Another question which is more related to the OS : is it still possible to really customize the icons/screen and the home and lock screens without rooting ?
5. Why did you choose to buy the Note 9, compared to say, waiting for the new Pixel 3, which will probably be more innovative ?
6. Is there a kind of clipboard where when you select and copy text it is saved in this clipboard (such as https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copied/id1015767349?mt=8&at=10l3Vy)
7. I have found less expensive versions of the phone on Rakuten. However, it is said to be an international version with the reference SM-N960FZKDXEF. Are there some differences, for instance in terms networks ?

Finally, would you recommend the Note 9 ?

thanks a lot !

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hence, 1st question, is it as fragile as the S7 edge? In any case, I have already found 1 case (there does not seem to be a lot of choice, right) and a glass protector :
Glass is glass - it's fragile if you drop it onto something or if you drop something onto it. Screen protectors protect against scratching, not against dropping in either direction.

what do u think ? I am looking for a case that is rather slim but can still protect in case of a fall.
I always use Otterbox Defender cases with my phones I've actually had one thrown against a wall with no damage.

1. Are you happy with the S9 so far ? Is it fluid ?
S9 and Note 9 are totally different phones. Make sure you get the one you want. If you like the pen, the S series doesn't have one, the Note series does.

6. Is there a kind of clipboard where when you select and copy text it is saved in this clipboard (such as https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copied/id1015767349?mt=8&at=10l3Vy)
There's one in Samsung phones (most Android phones use a single-item clipboard - it comes in stock Android, because it comes in Linux, which is the operating system.) There are a few you can add, for free, that can hold many items.

7. I have found less expensive versions of the phone on Rakuten. However, it is said to be an international version with the reference SM-N960FZKDXEF. Are there some differences, for instance in terms networks ?
SM-N960F as opposed to SM-N960<?> F is international. It will work with most carriers in Europe and the Middle East. If you were looking at 960A, 960P, 960V, 960W or any of those, they're for North America. The frequencies probably won't be correct for Europe.

Finally, would you recommend the Note 9 ?
If that's what you want. I've had Notes before, I was happy with them.

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I was talking about the Note 9 not the S9.
I am indeed a bit worried about the fragility of the device.

Oh and one quick question : I am a fan of live photos on iOS and above all the fact that I can select the frame that I want to be the "main" picture. With 2 small children, this is very useful to get a photo with eyes open ;-)

I thought it was possible with motion photos but then I read it was not.
Any ideas?

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
A comment re the international model of the note 9, mine is the SM-N960F, and it has dual sim card ability (I'm in Sydney). It's the exynos model, because all 'international' versions use exynos not whatever it is the north americans have.

I am aware from other posters that the UK version is dual sim also, so may the French version be dual sim.

What dual sim means is that if you put sim cards in both sim slots, you've got two phones in one essentially for getting phone calls. BUT .... it means that you then can't put a sd card in the slot - it's either / or - second phone sim, or sd card.

The base note 9 model is 128gb, and the dearer model is 512gb, so you probably won't need an sd card anyway.

I can't help re camera questions you've asked, I'm not good at that stuff, lol.

The cover I use is the Samsung standing cover, which is like a folio cover, but you can also use it as a stand. I also used a standing cover on my note 8, and I've never had a problem with it falling, it's well protected. I don't use a screen saver, it's just not needed.

Hope that helps 😊

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I was talking about the Note 9 not the S9.
I am indeed a bit worried about the fragility of the device.

Oh and one quick question : I am a fan of live photos on iOS and above all the fact that I can select the frame that I want to be the "main" picture. With 2 small children, this is very useful to get a photo with eyes open ;-)

I thought it was possible with motion photos but then I read it was not.
Any ideas?