Hi all. I just have a question about sending live messages and annotated screen writes and the like.

These only send when mobile data is turned on, even at home with Wi-Fi. Is this correct or did I do something in settings or something else? Thanks.
    09-15-2018 09:51 PM
    How are you trying to send them? If it's through text (MMS), unless your carrier supports RCS or WiFi calling (or you're using a wifi enabled app like Verizon's messages+) MMS need mobile data; they will not work over WiFi.
    amyf27 and shaimere like this.
    09-15-2018 10:46 PM
    How are you trying to send them? If it's through text (MMS), unless your carrier supports RCS or WiFi calling (or you're using a wifi enabled app like Verizon's messages+) MMS need mobile data; they will not work over WiFi.
    Agreed. I'm not sure which or if any carriers, support sending MMS style messages without data.
    09-16-2018 06:56 AM
    Agreed. I'm not sure which or if any carriers, support sending MMS style messages without data.
    My just defunct Galaxy S5 routinely sent MMS without changing any settings and certainly not having to turn on mobile data. I'm going into my carrier store tomorrow to check it out.
    09-16-2018 07:41 AM
    My just defunct Galaxy S5 routinely sent MMS without changing any settings and certainly not having to turn on mobile data. I'm going into my carrier store tomorrow to check it out.
    I just tested mine again to make sure and mine will not send without data. I have a factory unlocked Note 9 currently using T-Mobile prepaid. It was also on Sprint recently and had the same issue.
    09-16-2018 07:57 AM
    It's not the phone (alone). MMS needs mobile data, period. Carriers now have support for other ways of 'funneling' mobile data into wifi, like Wi-Fi calling, but as a protocol, MMS requires mobile data.
    amyf27 likes this.
    09-16-2018 05:46 PM
    It's not the phone (alone). MMS needs mobile data, period. Carriers now have support for other ways of 'funneling' mobile data into wifi, like Wi-Fi calling, but as a protocol, MMS requires mobile data.
    It's interesting though because I remember in the past, being able to send messages with photos without any data on. I'm sure it's one of many changes carriers are pushing through. Though I'm not sure why. At any rate, if you have unlimited data then it shouldnt be an issue, just a minor annoyance perhaps, if you dont have or keep data on.
    09-16-2018 07:27 PM
    It's interesting though because I remember in the past, being able to send messages with photos without any data on. I'm sure it's one of many changes carriers are pushing through. Though I'm not sure why. At any rate, if you have unlimited data then it shouldnt be an issue, just a minor annoyance perhaps, if you dont have or keep data on.
    Again, it's not the carriers, it's how the protocol works. For the carrier to support MMS or texting over WiFi, they do have to make changes to their system and use a phone that supports it (unless you do it like Verizon and funnel everything through their special app). In the past maybe your phone was connecting to WiFi calling or it wasn't sending through WiFi at all (most people don't notice, but even if the phone is connected to WiFi, when sending/receiving MMS, mobile data becomes active just enough to make the message go through (you can see the mobile data indicator light up briefly).

Come to think of it, that MIGHT be a bug on the Note 9 or if you're using a 3rd party messaging app and mobile data isn't coming on automatically when connecting to WiFi when an MMS is being sent/received. That would explain why you could do it before and not now if WiFi calling was never active before.
    09-17-2018 11:02 AM
    When sending a live message the usual route is the same as MMS and you must have data enabled, however, you can use WhatsApp messenger to send a live message also and this can be sent over wifi, I think other messenger apps can be used too.
    My carrier charge me extra if I send a live message via SMS and it basically counts as an MMS which isn't part of my plan.
    09-17-2018 05:16 PM
    Yes you are right. As I said before, my old Galaxy S5 with my old contract had cellular connection and MMS data integrated. I went to my carrier store here in Australia and the store person told me that heaps of people have been coming into the store asking about the same thing.

He confirmed its a carrier condition that has been implemented.
    amyf27 likes this.
    09-17-2018 05:19 PM