I've never had a wireless charger before... you have to remove your phone case before charging right?
    09-18-2018 03:07 PM
    No you don't have to.
    ansa82 likes this.
    09-18-2018 03:19 PM
    Shouldn't have to. Depends on the quality of the charger and if a case too thick or one of those foldable cases or cases that hold credit cards... those may give you charging issues due to thickness.
    09-18-2018 03:29 PM
    I've never had a wireless charger before... you have to remove your phone case before charging right?
    It depends on the case and the charger.

When the case is on my Note 8, my Samsung wireless charger initially connects but then gives up immediately.

When the case is on my Note 8, my Anker and Seneo wireless chargers charges with no issue.
    09-18-2018 03:53 PM
    On past phone's, the thinner cases I used worked fine. The Spigen wallet case for my N9 and the S9+ does not. I've tried a thinner case on my N9 and it works fine on the Samsung charger, but not my idodo charger in my car. I have a feeling the coils are lining up poorly. The case is only 1.2mm thick so I must be right on the edge without a case with this charger.
    09-18-2018 04:13 PM
    Shouldn't have to. Depends on the quality of the charger and if a case too thick or one of those foldable cases or cases that hold credit cards... those may give you charging issues due to thickness.
    Thanks!
    09-18-2018 04:45 PM
    I have a sticky magnetic disc on the back for my phone for the in-car holder which wireless charging can't penetrate. shame but i just take the case off when i charge.
    ansa82 likes this.
    09-18-2018 05:44 PM
    I have a sticky magnetic disc on the back for my phone for the in-car holder which wireless charging can't penetrate. shame but i just take the case off when i charge.
    I faced the same problem becuase i found the best car mounts were magnetic. i tried vent ones and they blow! well same as you i want to wireless charge. by luck i found a solution.. both those use a ball adaptor so you can use the sticky of one, remove the magnet and use the holder of the other.. works great !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6344217

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6344217
    09-18-2018 05:54 PM
    If your case has any metal in the back (i.e., kickstand) don't do it - it'll cause the battery to overheat. Other than that, like others mentioned - it depends on the thickness of the case
    ansa82 likes this.
    09-18-2018 06:44 PM
    I use the iOttie fast wireless charger in my car. The vent ones just don't hold these larger phones and I wanted something to hold my phone in view and keep it charged. I got it for only $40 at Sam's Club.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754NDNT8...cUvbUpU6344261
    ansa82 likes this.
    09-18-2018 07:09 PM
    If your case has any metal in the back (i.e., kickstand) don't do it - it'll cause the battery to overheat. Other than that, like others mentioned - it depends on the thickness of the case
    Huh?
    09-18-2018 07:45 PM
    Couldn't you just charge it face down then? Never really heard anyone say you couldn't (I don't want to try just in case lol). I wonder why I've never heard anyone discuss that before in Youtube videos where they test the cases. Guess something to Google to see if any concerns about that.

09-18-2018 09:10 PM
    Huh?
    Never tried charging it face down because I use a dock clock app at night but I ruined a phone and a good wireless charger because of the metal kickstand. I noticed the dramatic increase in temperature but I ignored it and paid the price
    09-18-2018 09:27 PM
    Couldn't you just charge it face down then? Never really heard anyone say you couldn't (I don't want to try just in case lol). I wonder why I've never heard anyone discuss that before in Youtube videos where they test the cases. Guess something to Google to see if any concerns about that.
    Induction doesn't work that way. If you try, the charger will try to induce current in the wrong direction through the coils in the phone. It's likely there is a diode or something to prevent the phone from actually allowing that to happen.
    09-18-2018 09:33 PM
    Maybe the same reason people don't mention charging face down. eh.

Never tried charging it face down because I use a dock clock app at night but I ruined a phone and a good wireless charger because of the metal kickstand. I noticed the dramatic increase in temperature but I ignored it and paid the price
    09-18-2018 09:34 PM
    but I ruined a phone and a good wireless charger because of the metal kickstand. I noticed the dramatic increase in temperature but I ignored it and paid the price
    How would the metal kickstand cause that? I don't recall anything within my E&M physics courses that would explain that. That being said, if you were using a Qi fast wireless charger, the phone should have been slowing down it's resonance frequency to let the charger know to let up on the power because it's getting too hot.
    09-18-2018 10:10 PM
    I don't know how to explain it - I'm not a physicist. All I can tell you is that if you don't believe me, try it out for yourself at your own peril
    09-18-2018 11:36 PM
    I don't know how to explain it - I'm not a physicist. All I can tell you is that if you don't believe me, try it out for yourself at your own peril
    Didn't say you had to understand it. But you're concluding that the kickstand was the cause without understanding it. But the reality is you really don't know what caused it. Only that it happened.
    09-19-2018 01:09 AM
    Induction doesn't work that way. If you try, the charger will try to induce current in the wrong direction through the coils in the phone. It's likely there is a diode or something to prevent the phone from actually allowing that to happen.
    Sorry but that is not correct. Induction current is AC (alternating current). So orientation on the wireless pad is not critical. As a test, I just tried placing my phone on the charger landscape right to left, left to right, portrait up, portrait down and the wireless charger happily charged in every direction.

The reason that you can't charge your phone face down is likely due to 2 things. Both of these effectively shield the charging signal from passing through the phone to the charging coils on the back of the phone. (1) There is a lot of circuitry, battery, etc between the front and the back of the phone. (2) Shielding to ensure that most RF energy does not get transferred to the users head/face when they are making a call.
    09-19-2018 01:11 PM
    Sorry but that is not correct. Induction current is AC (alternating current). So orientation on the wireless pad is not critical. As a test, I just tried placing my phone on the charger landscape right to left, left to right, portrait up, portrait down and the wireless charger happily charged in every direction.
    The orientation doesn't matter because the direction of the magnetic field around the coils is the same. You are right about it being AC though.

The reason that you can't charge your phone face down is likely due to 2 things. Both of these effectively shield the charging signal from passing through the phone to the charging coils on the back of the phone. (1) There is a lot of circuitry, battery, etc between the front and the back of the phone. (2) Shielding to ensure that most RF energy does not get transferred to the users head/face when they are making a call.
    I actually took a wireless charging receiver and connected it to my motorcycle helmet to allow for wireless charging of my Sena Bluetooth communicator. It's just a flat piece, but it did not work if I faced the wrong side towards the charger. It would have been slightly more convenient for me if it did, but the charging failed during testing if I faced the wrong side towards it.
    09-19-2018 01:53 PM
    The orientation doesn't matter because the direction of the magnetic field around the coils is the same.
    I don't quite understand your statement here. When the AC charging magnetic wave interacts with the coil in the phone current travels in one direction and then in the opposite direction depending on the part of the AC cycle. Most likely the phone uses full wave rectification to get as much energy as possible out of the wireless charging magnetic wave. Therefore orientation of the coil in the phone to coil in the charger doesn't matter.

I actually took a wireless charging receiver and connected it to my motorcycle helmet to allow for wireless charging of my Sena Bluetooth communicator. It's just a flat piece, but it did not work if I faced the wrong side towards the charger. It would have been slightly more convenient for me if it did, but the charging failed during testing if I faced the wrong side towards it.
    Again, most likely shielding and components inside the device on the other side block a significant amount of the magnetic wave from reaching the charging coil.
    09-19-2018 03:34 PM