Optimal Battery Level/Longevity

SPDurkee

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. To minimize the amount of wear on the battery I've configured a system where the charger will turn on at a certain level and turn back off again at a certain level.

My question is, what is the optimal level to start charging the battery and the optimum level to stop charging the battery? Currently I turn on the charger at 65% and turn off the charger at 66%. So the phone hovers between 65 and 66% continuously throughout the day while it's plugged into the charger.

Any insight you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
just charge your phone. these phones have built in hardware and software that protect against over or under charging. yes you will get better battery life over the long term, but what is your sanity worth. and by better battery life maybe 20% difference in three years. it would be like driving 2 miles an hour slower across the country to save fuel.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. To minimize the amount of wear on the battery I've configured a system where the charger will turn on at a certain level and turn back off again at a certain level.

My question is, what is the optimal level to start charging the battery and the optimum level to stop charging the battery? Currently I turn on the charger at 65% and turn off the charger at 66%. So the phone hovers between 65 and 66% continuously throughout the day while it's plugged into the charger.

Any insight you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm sorry, whst? You continuously charge your phone 1% non stop all day? I hope this is a joke thread, I haven't heard something so ridiculous in awhile.

Haley Chris

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
You can charge it how you want but if you want your battery to last as long as it can don't let it drop below 40 percent or charger Higher then 80 unless you need a full charge for like traveling for a day just my opinion

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a matter that is rife with rumors and obsolete recommendations. My advice is to disregard any advice that is not accompanied by proof. (The proof of my own advice is the pile of contradictions you will find in others' advice.)

Your phone is supposed to serve you, not vice versa. Do what is most convenient unless you have good, proven reason to do otherwise.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would try not to worry about it too much. Phones have better software nowadays that help combat against things like overcharging and being charged more frequently. As other users have said, it's not worth your sanity! Everything will work out! :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, whst? You continuously charge your phone 1% non stop all day? I hope this is a joke thread, I haven't heard something so ridiculous in awhile.
Some devices, especially ones that need to be at the ready (I.e. emergency response equipment and hospital devices with battery backup) do just this. They hold the battery at a less than full voltage to prolong its lifespan, so the OP's idea isn't without merit.

ALL devices, phones or otherwise, will not overcharge a battery. That's a huge safety risk, so I'm not sure where the idea that that is some modern development came from. It's entirely possible to ruin a lithium battery without over charging it simply by leaving it at a high voltage. If I had a sealed battery in my phone with a way to plug in and hold it at less than full, I'd consider it. For most people, that would be a hassle, which is why the usual recommendation is keep it between 40-80%.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If you plan to replace your phone after a year or 2, I wouldn't worry about ANY of this, and just charge your phone normally as needed.

If you really really need your phone's battery to last 3 , 4, or 5 years without losing much capacity for some reason, you will hear 20 different "optimization" techniques here, some obsolete, some effective, etc. I would say this: If it were me and for some reason I had to keep the same phone for 3-5 years and needed to have the battery life high at the end, I probably still would just charge it as I needed, and then down the road just get the battery replaced if I felt it had degraded too much years down the line. Spending $50-$100 to replace a battery 2-4 years from now is SOOO much more preferable to me that having to worry about micro managing battery level every minute of every day I own the phone.

Other folks may provide other direction on this of course. Good luck.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a moto with moto mod, it was nice to have the battery mod set the phone battery at 80%. Then just remove the mod and wireless charge mod only. The only draw back was no case except bumper with mod. Thus this is one reason I bought this beast. It would be a nice option on the Note 9 however like most I am just not going to worry about it too much however I will usually run it down to about 35-40% and just charge to about 80-90%. I will continue to discharge to 10% and charge to 100% at least once every couple of months or so. If I forget.......well who cares.....right.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The recommendation, if you figure out all the numbers at Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries, is about 40% to 80%. That will give you the longest life for the type of lithium batteries used in cellphones. (There are a few different types, each one with a different "best" situation.)

If you install Magisk (if your phone will install it), you can install the Magisk Charging Switch module and set it for 80 40 and stop worrying. If you leave the charger plugged in, the battery gets to 80% and the charger (the circuit inside the phone - the thing you plug into the wall or the car socket is just a power supply) stops charging. If the charge on the battery drops to 39%, it starts charging again.

Doing it SPDurkee's way - keeping it at 65% or 70%, won't harm anything either.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If you plan to replace your phone after a year or 2, I wouldn't worry about ANY of this, and just charge your phone normally as needed.

If you really really need your phone's battery to last 3 , 4, or 5 years without losing much capacity for some reason, you will hear 20 different "optimization" techniques here, some obsolete, some effective, etc. I would say this: If it were me and for some reason I had to keep the same phone for 3-5 years and needed to have the battery life high at the end, I probably still would just charge it as I needed, and then down the road just get the battery replaced if I felt it had degraded too much years down the line. Spending $50-$100 to replace a battery 2-4 years from now is SOOO much more preferable to me that having to worry about micro managing battery level every minute of every day I own the phone.

Other folks may provide other direction on this of course. Good luck.

I agree with you. I'd just use my phone/charge it as normal and replace the battery if need be. Battery conservation has been an interesting topic or discussion around the forums; and everyone has a different opinion on how it should be managed. I like seeing the different suggestions; but the only thing I don't do (it happens the odd time, however) is let my phone sit on the charger for a few hours/overnight. Technically, I know it won't do anything; but I just don't want to get into that habit.

az3

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
Besides, didn't Samsung promise 95% battery retention after 2 years after the Note 7 as a part of their new battery testing? They just didn't publicize very well.

Right now, I'm trying to keep my phone between 85-90% and 40%, but I'll charge to 100% if I know I've got a big day ahead. Charging to 100% once in a while shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't cycle it from 100 to 0 constantly. Mainly, I just don't charge overnight.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh my gosh really? Lol. If I am heading out for the day I charge my phone to 100%. I will charge it at home when it drops to 20% and charge till 100%. Did that with my N5 as well and never had battery issues and it used 3% usage per hour on average.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just don't think that I can do the 40-80 thing but I can start my day with 80%. After the first day with good thing on Thursday, the battery has been getting better and better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2