So what changes would you make to the Note 9?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. Absolutely loving my Note 9 and coming from my Galaxy S5, its like coming from a flip phone. Not that my S5 was bad or anything but 4 yrs of development in mobile technology really shows.

I was wondering what changes would you initiate if you were DJ Koh? Here are mine and they are all software related that could be done by OTA updates.

I would have the battery % of the S pen at the top like the phone battery. I would also have the choice to flash an alert on screen in the way of a floating icon when the S pen battery gets to your nominated level. If you tap the icon you would snooze the alert until the S pen gets to say 10% battery and then the alert is permanent until the S pen in recharged.

Camera modes in pro mode. I would be able to preset my own custom modes in pro mode which then could be added to the list of camera modes. I would have a toolbar called My Modes which I could drop all my custom modes in. If you swipe the camera modes to My Modes, all the other modes disappear and you then have your selection of custom modes. To go back to preinstalled camera modes you would press on My Modes and the other camera modes reappear.

Always on display. Instead of having an infinite choice of colours for the home screen AOD and only a few for the lockscreen, I'd reverse that so you could choose the perfect color that is balance of legibility and battery consumption. Also, I'd enable a couple of other options.

Like sync to alarm. I would enable an option in settings where AOD could be synced to your morning alarm so that it appears automatically a nominated amount before your alarm goes off. I can't be the only person who uses AOD only to check the time in the morning only. It would be nice for an easy way to set AOD so that its on only for that brief period, especially if you're not getting up the same time each morning.

And lastly, I'd like an easy option to set AOD each time the phone is charging to see battery percentage, again for people like me who only use it for very limited times. And I'd like a set of themes specific for AOD when the phone is charging so I could have a really large font that I could easily glance across the room to see my battery charge. I'd want this because I wouldn't have such a large font for my morning alarm AOD as it would consume too much battery.

These are my ideas. What are yours?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine are mostly hardware.
Flat edges, and get rid of the top and bottom bezels, even if that means adding a notch. Add an ir blaster. Remove the Bixby button.

Other dream features would be FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud compatibility and have Dex load Mac OSX.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Get rid of the horrible curved display and put a physical home button and FPS on the front again.

Also frustrated that the 2nd camera used for telephoto doesn't actually work in pro mode, I would add the ability to pick which camera is used.

And native ability to remap the Bixby button, I would much rather it be a camera/shutter button.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Mine are mostly hardware.
Flat edges, and get rid of the top and bottom bezels, even if that means adding a notch. Add an ir blaster. Remove the Bixby button.

Other dream features would be FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud compatibility and have Dex load Mac OSX.
... IOW an iPhone XS Max it sounds like

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
1 change... well 2. more options for AOD(like colors for different notifications)

better camera. love this camera ive taken some great shoots but samsung can do better imho !

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think your AOD wishes can be done using Tasker+Secure Plugins. It can bind AOD toggle to the AC state. Not sure about the clock if it could be bound to an alarm, but it can be bound to time (make AOD turn on 5am and turn off 6am for example).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I hate the curved display. The curved edges get in the way of using the pen too many times.

I don't mind the top and bottom bezels because there's no notch. I refuse to own a phone with a notch.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
... IOW an iPhone XS Max it sounds like

In design only, the Note does a better job of using the extra screen real estate, with the spen and all its features, plus multi window. Love Dex, but man would it be killer if it did Mac OSX.

I wish there was a way to merge both devices together.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Get rid of the horrible curved display and put a physical home button and FPS on the front again.

Also frustrated that the 2nd camera used for telephoto doesn't actually work in pro mode, I would add the ability to pick which camera is used.

And native ability to remap the Bixby button, I would much rather it be a camera/shutter button.

Oh god not that physical button

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
All available colors Samsungl!!! Blue is beautiful, but it's not that hard to make all colors available all at once.
other than that, the note 9 is excellent.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
2 things:
1. Remove dedicated Bixby button
2. Replace AOD feature with the feature to display time and such when I pick up the phone. The Nexus 6p and my iPhone had such feature.

Last edited:

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
If the Note 9 had LG's quad DAC and D-TSX surround sound, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I did have a V30, but had to sell it because of crap signal and the fact that SmartWorld is way inferior to Samsung's theme store. But yeah, once you experience the quad DAC with a good pair of high impedance headphones, you can't go back to listening to your music with regular sound.

Aside from that, more color options would be nice; like a teal or turquoise, a dark grape purple, or a raspberry color.

Get rid of Bixby, or allow users to remap it.

Bring back the flat display. I'm tired of trying to find a TGSP/film that won't eventually lift or doesn't cover the whole screen.

Optimize battery to reduce standby battery drain. I don't want to have to worry about losing 5-10% of battery while my phone is just sitting idle, or even when powered off.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Something amiss if you are losing 10% battery while off or idle.

I saw that with my 8. I saw that during first week but went away after turning off a few features and cleared cache partition.

Device Maintenance, also look for reports there.

With no film or case - yes but stays home fully carpeted and I prefer that - the edge is ok, better than S8+
My iPhone X is thicker, harder to hold, too aggressive shutting down apps...

Always trade-offs

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
As already mentioned by others, I too would like:
-IR blaster
-No Bixy Button,
-Flat screen

I would also like:
-More detail in my photos (less beautification)
-Less warmth/more accurate colors
-Better OIS for less blur

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I would like:

- A lower FPS on the back - and make it bigger and round

- An even bigger battery

- More color options for the phone

- Improved camera (I could write this for all phones, I always want this). The camera is very good, but there is room for improvement for sure.

- Cheaper price

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

No on the physical home button. It was what I hated most about the old Galaxy phones. It'll be nice if they do ever get the in screen fps.

I concur on the bixby button. Though, I'd also be fine if they removed all their attempts at blocking the remapping. I just don't see them giving up on the bixby button though.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
If the Note 9 had LG's quad DAC and D-TSX surround sound, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I did have a V30, but had to sell it because of crap signal and the fact that SmartWorld is way inferior to Samsung's theme store. But yeah, once you experience the quad DAC with a good pair of high impedance headphones, you can't go back to listening to your music with regular sound.

Aside from that, more color options would be nice; like a teal or turquoise, a dark grape purple, or a raspberry color.

Get rid of Bixby, or allow users to remap it.

Bring back the flat display. I'm tired of trying to find a TGSP/film that won't eventually lift or doesn't cover the whole screen.

Optimize battery to reduce standby battery drain. I don't want to have to worry about losing 5-10% of battery while my phone is just sitting idle, or even when powered off.
How much drain are you havingb0er your on standby. Mine is about 2 percent per hour. That's not a bad thing.