Do you keep a bunch of apps open in the background?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Do you keep a bunch of apps open in the background or are you an app closing fiend like myself who is always hitting that close all button? :-\

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I set to close as soon as im done..
So it can free up all resources..
And do a device maintenace to clear out mem + storages

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I close any app I'm not using. I don't like clutter, and leaving apps open is just clutter to me (shrug 🤷)

I just swipe from left to right the minimised app. Easy peasy 😁

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I use to "close all" often but not so much any more. I started using Goodlock (from Galaxy Store) and really like the way it displays recent apps. So I will close a few but keep the ones open I'm using, maybe 3 or 4. I'm looking at recents more like open programs on the task bar in windows. It's easy to use and quick to get back to where I left off.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Closing all apps. Doesn't preserve battery and increase performance as it once did years ago with smartphones. Resource management is pretty much automatic anymore

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No "close all", I just use the Back button to close an app when I'm finished with it. Android is still going to keep any apps that the "most used apps" algorithm calls for it to leave in RAM. (They're not open, they're closed, but still located in RAM - so the next time you run that apop, there's no time or battery used in copying the app from storage to memory. But a closed app in memory doesn't use battery, and if Android needs the space it just kills the app. Even if you didn't close it but just opened another app. Since all apps have to keep their current state at all times, that's fine. When you bring that app back to the foreground, Android runs it with the argument "and pick up where you left off" (in programming terms), and to you the app has always been running. Unless it's an app playing sounds or a movie, how can you tell? (And you'll notice that many music player apps stop playing as soon as another app opens on top of them. Was the app killed? Possibly.)

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes....I close them frequently and device management is run at least at the end of the day and sometimes in the middle of the day. I did the same on my beloved Note 5 as well.

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I always close them when I am finish. With my Samsung Browser when I am.done browsing I always go back and clear history and data. Idk.. I like to make sure nothing is running. Even with 512gb I want to not keep it low usage as possible.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I always close them when I am finish. With my Samsung Browser when I am.done browsing I always go back and clear history and data. Idk.. I like to make sure nothing is running. Even with 512gb I want to not keep it low usage as possible.
You have 8GB, not 512, and Internet when in foreground, only one tab is running. In background you really think it harms battery or memory? I tend to have 20 tabs. Loading from disk is inefficient.

Micromanaging as if its 1999. Free memory is wasted RAM?

Addicted to cleaning cache, memory, disk probably causes more work rebuilding. We hope the folks behind Device Maintenance are better than they likely are.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
That's the whole point of RAM. And with 8GB and the way the OS handles things now, it's literally useless to close apps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I close all but two messaging apps I use frequently. Not really for managing memory or battery life but really so I don't have tons and tons of apps open that I have to scroll through.

Mezzanine7

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
At the time of typing this, AC app is the only app I have open. I often press the recent tabs app and swipe close the apps I haven't used in a while.

I also have greenify though which does a good job of putting pesky apps into hibernation that tries to stay running or don't want to stay force closed such as Google app and Facebook etc.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
For limiting apps, try use Dev Option and instead of standard, set to 1-4.

My issue is there are apps I want page fixed and never closed. And 4 doesn't do that. Kill when closed is very aggressive, ends up taking longer to reload. That is one of the ways iOS can manage with less RAM and sips on battery.

I believe the YouTube demo of opening ~120 apps then going backward and reopening. No lag. But the S8+ did eventually.

Also believed the comments of user about Note superior memory management. So I trust it.