09-26-2018 11:39 AM
34 12
tools
    Do you keep a bunch of apps open in the background or are you an app closing fiend like myself who is always hitting that close all button?
    Heavens1 and lv2bsilly like this.
    09-22-2018 09:33 AM
    I seldom close them. Really only do so when an app is misbehaving.
    09-22-2018 09:49 AM
    I seldom close them. Really only do so when an app is misbehaving.
    Same.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    09-22-2018 09:52 AM
    Never close them.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    09-22-2018 09:53 AM
    I set to close as soon as im done..
    So it can free up all resources..
    And do a device maintenace to clear out mem + storages
    Nostromo79, nuangel2 and 36dbldz like this.
    09-22-2018 10:08 AM
    i close them quite often, maybe twice a day, device maintenance about once a week
    09-22-2018 10:31 AM
    I close immediately after use, I have always done that since my first smart phone.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    09-22-2018 12:01 PM
    I close any app I'm not using. I don't like clutter, and leaving apps open is just clutter to me (shrug 🤷)

I just swipe from left to right the minimised app. Easy peasy 😁
    ladiinay likes this.
    09-23-2018 07:54 AM
    I use to "close all" often but not so much any more. I started using Goodlock (from Galaxy Store) and really like the way it displays recent apps. So I will close a few but keep the ones open I'm using, maybe 3 or 4. I'm looking at recents more like open programs on the task bar in windows. It's easy to use and quick to get back to where I left off.
    09-23-2018 08:20 AM
    Closing all apps. Doesn't preserve battery and increase performance as it once did years ago with smartphones. Resource management is pretty much automatic anymore
    kptsalami and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    09-23-2018 10:47 AM
    No "close all", I just use the Back button to close an app when I'm finished with it. Android is still going to keep any apps that the "most used apps" algorithm calls for it to leave in RAM. (They're not open, they're closed, but still located in RAM - so the next time you run that apop, there's no time or battery used in copying the app from storage to memory. But a closed app in memory doesn't use battery, and if Android needs the space it just kills the app. Even if you didn't close it but just opened another app. Since all apps have to keep their current state at all times, that's fine. When you bring that app back to the foreground, Android runs it with the argument "and pick up where you left off" (in programming terms), and to you the app has always been running. Unless it's an app playing sounds or a movie, how can you tell? (And you'll notice that many music player apps stop playing as soon as another app opens on top of them. Was the app killed? Possibly.)
    09-23-2018 04:55 PM
    When too many are open I just close them.
    09-23-2018 07:53 PM
    So it can free up all resources..
    And do a device maintenace to clear out mem + storages
    This is not necessarily helpful on any Android or Linux system unless you have an app that is misbehaving.
    09-23-2018 10:08 PM
    Yes....I close them frequently and device management is run at least at the end of the day and sometimes in the middle of the day. I did the same on my beloved Note 5 as well.
    09-23-2018 10:28 PM
    I always close them when I am finish. With my Samsung Browser when I am.done browsing I always go back and clear history and data. Idk.. I like to make sure nothing is running. Even with 512gb I want to not keep it low usage as possible.
    09-24-2018 03:08 AM
    I always close them when I am finish. With my Samsung Browser when I am.done browsing I always go back and clear history and data. Idk.. I like to make sure nothing is running. Even with 512gb I want to not keep it low usage as possible.
    You have 8GB, not 512, and Internet when in foreground, only one tab is running. In background you really think it harms battery or memory? I tend to have 20 tabs. Loading from disk is inefficient.

Micromanaging as if its 1999. Free memory is wasted RAM?

Addicted to cleaning cache, memory, disk probably causes more work rebuilding. We hope the folks behind Device Maintenance are better than they likely are.
    Broken Vet likes this.
    09-24-2018 07:36 AM
    That's the whole point of RAM. And with 8GB and the way the OS handles things now, it's literally useless to close apps.
    09-24-2018 11:52 AM
    I close all but two messaging apps I use frequently. Not really for managing memory or battery life but really so I don't have tons and tons of apps open that I have to scroll through.
    Connert likes this.
    09-24-2018 12:44 PM
    At the time of typing this, AC app is the only app I have open. I often press the recent tabs app and swipe close the apps I haven't used in a while.

I also have greenify though which does a good job of putting pesky apps into hibernation that tries to stay running or don't want to stay force closed such as Google app and Facebook etc.
    09-24-2018 12:50 PM
    For limiting apps, try use Dev Option and instead of standard, set to 1-4.

My issue is there are apps I want page fixed and never closed. And 4 doesn't do that. Kill when closed is very aggressive, ends up taking longer to reload. That is one of the ways iOS can manage with less RAM and sips on battery.

I believe the YouTube demo of opening ~120 apps then going backward and reopening. No lag. But the S8+ did eventually.

Also believed the comments of user about Note superior memory management. So I trust it.
    09-24-2018 01:15 PM
    I pretty much keep all closed.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    09-24-2018 10:43 PM
    I tend to let the phone do its own thing unless I see a glitch of some sort.

8gb of Ram in this thing can more than cope with what I leave open.

Unused Ram is wasted Ram is something I once read a while back.

Like others here I often use the back button to come out if an app too.

Interesting how we all have our own usage habits and train of thought on this.
    09-25-2018 01:56 AM
    I get far better battery life on my Note8 by NOT closing every app.

After years of toying with phones, battery stats, etc., I've found that Android 8 and the Samsung battery features combined is actually EXCELLENT.

The worst thing you can do is to use a package disablers and start going crazy. You end up with a ton of issues that require extreme measures to get that 6 or 7 hours of screen time.

White backgrounds, GPS on high accuracy, no power saving, auto brightness, and just uninstalling the apps I don't use that Verizon put on my phone. No disabling of stuff and I get very few wakelocks.

If you close the apps all the time your system is either an old phone or you are preventing Android from accurately learning your battery usage.

If the battery ever does drain fast, just look at the battery usage in "Unmonitored Apps" to see what the issue is.

If it's wakelocks, chances are if you're near WiFi you have router issues that ping your phone rather than Android having a problem.

Check the DTIM settings and Beacon Intervals.
    09-25-2018 11:29 AM
    Yep! Unused ram is wasted.

We have better control over apps so that leads to a lot of our own downfall.

Ram management used to be worse, but Android has actually gotten excellent.

Since we don't have a closed system like Apple it's usually issues with specific apps or external things like WiFi routers with low beacon intervals and low DTIM settings that can cause wakelocks.
    Nostromo79 and kptsalami like this.
    09-25-2018 11:31 AM
    I close any app I'm not using. I don't like clutter, and leaving apps open is just clutter to me (shrug 🤷)

I just swipe from left to right the minimised app. Easy peasy 😁
    I'm with you. I am a little OCD, but that's OK! 👍
    Heavens1 and Nostromo79 like this.
    09-25-2018 12:02 PM
34 12