Disappearing navigation bar and status bar

Carl051

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
My note 9 has suddenly started hiding the nav bar and the status bar on everything but the home screen. If I click the dot to lock the nav bar it still disappears.

I have tried restarting phone, booting in safe mode and clearing cache but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated as I would rather not reset the phone if it can be avoided
79fa61e1130d46d50df4b53f8df63558.jpg

cjh1955

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don’t know if this will help, but I looked around settings and couldn’t find anything. I have Good Lock installed and thought maybe there was something in there. While I had it opened, I noticed my navigation bar had disappeared. However, if I swiped up from the bottom of the screen, it reappeared on a gray bar - like the disappearing task bar on a Windows computer. Tried opening a couple of different apps and had the same thing happen. The dot was there, too, and if I’m fast enough to double click it, the nav bar stayed. I’m not sure what I did to set this - I don’t remember it happening yesterday (but it may have!).

There is a setting on the Display page for Full Screen Apps - you might check there, too. And in the app list for full screen apps, scroll through the whole list - mine has several that say “optimized to run in full screen” and then all the rest are below that grouping.

If I figure any more out, I’ll post another message - in the meantime, try swiping up from the bottom of the screen - hopefully your nav bar will reappear!

Carl051

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't you have to double tap on the dot to show / hide the nav bar?
Yes but when I double tap the dot goes white like it's supposed to but nav bar doesn't stay on screen. I still have to swipe up to see it an swipe down from top to see status bar

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
My note 9 has suddenly started hiding the nav bar and the status bar on everything but the home screen. If I click the dot to lock the nav bar it still disappears.

I have tried restarting phone, booting in safe mode and clearing cache but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated as I would rather not reset the phone if it can be avoided//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/79fa61e1130d46d50df4b53f8df63558.jpg

Did you go to settings, display, navigation bar:

Attachments

• 5582.jpg
    5582.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 86

cjh1955

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, just saw something interesting on YouTube - user GregglesTV, who does a lot of tech stuff, posted a report on the issue of nav buttons not working even after repeated presses - I know that’s different from your issue, but one of the comments on the video says his nav buttons tend to disappear and he has to hold the place where the home button would be for several seconds and then they come back. Maybe that’s worth a try. Here’s a link to the video: https://youtu.be/zMEQz_Ns5jU - the comment is from a user named Rich Remeika (several comments down from the first - I’d copy it here but YouTube has frozen up on me 🤨).

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes but when I double tap the dot goes white like it's supposed to but nav bar doesn't stay on screen. I still have to swipe up to see it an swipe down from top to see status bar

The dot should be dark for the navigation bar to stay on. I just tried it.

Sometimes is the app that will remove the navigation bar. However mine stayed on for the AC home page, unlike your screenshot.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, just saw something interesting on YouTube - user GregglesTV, who does a lot of tech stuff, posted a report on the issue of nav buttons not working even after repeated presses - I know that’s different from your issue, but one of the comments on the video says his nav buttons tend to disappear and he has to hold the place where the home button would be for several seconds and then they come back. Maybe that’s worth a try. Here’s a link to the video: https://youtu.be/zMEQz_Ns5jU - the comment is from a user named Rich Remeika (several comments down from the first - I’d copy it here but YouTube has frozen up on me 🤨).

Mine doesn't always respond, but haven't went away. Thread and discussion about that here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...ive-soft-keys-article-juicy-update-ahead.html

Carl051

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The dot should be dark for the navigation bar to stay on. I just tried it.

Sometimes is the app that will remove the navigation bar. However mine stayed on for the AC home page, unlike your screenshot.
Depends on the colour of the nav bar. A white bar has a black dot. I conceded defeat and restored phone an that's fixed it

berserkk

Sep 28, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, hard reset had worked for me, backed up, restored, and everything is working as it should

I did notice that the nav bar didn't change colour as well when the problem was happening. I'm worried about updating the Samsung apps in case one of those caused it.

Also worried about bx actions as well so haven't reinstalled that

Carl051

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, hard reset had worked for me, backed up, restored, and everything is working as it should

I did notice that the nav bar didn't change colour as well when the problem was happening. I'm worried about updating the Samsung apps in case one of those caused it.

Also worried about bx actions as well so haven't reinstalled that
I was thinking exactly the same thing about bx actions so I haven't installed it either

PanzerIV88

Feb 11, 2019
Visit site
I don't know what's going on, I changed SIM card and provider on my (Samsung S8+) 2 days ago but I think it's been like 4 days since out of nowhere for no reason suddenly my phone won't show the navigation bar which is EXTREMELY frustrating. No matter what I do in the settings, the bar keeps hiding automatically and the little dot does nothing.

I really don't want to make a factory reset and lose everything. It took me so many hours to set it up and who knows if it will happen again a week later if it's an update that's causing the issue. Me too I have (BxActions) so I'll see if just uninstalling it will fix the problem cause I don't see what else could. I haven't installed any new app since a long time.

boldnbrash25

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
Anyone have a solution for the status bar up top that keeps hiding? This is actually extremely aggravating. Why do I need to swipe from the top just to see the damn time or percentage?

I'd also like the navigation bar on the bottom to be permanently locked. I can't find a way to do this anymore; the dot is gone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Anyone have a solution for the status bar up top that keeps hiding? This is actually extremely aggravating. Why do I need to swipe from the top just to see the damn time or percentage?

I'd also like the navigation bar on the bottom to be permanently locked. I can't find a way to do this anymore; the dot is gone.

You using nova launcher?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar