So,

Never dropped, nothing ever hit it...

The screen appears to be shattered BENEATH the dome. You can see that the UAG and the dome are untouched. All the damage originated from beneath the dome.

I don't keep it in my pockets, and I have never sat on it.

It's the 512GB purple unlocked version.... I have Verizon TEP insurance, and I wonder if they will even have them in stock...

Manufacturing defect?

I haven't had a cracked phone in 15 years!

Cracked screen - has Whitestone Dome and a UAG case on... Both are fine....-screenshot_20180928-150945_textra.jpgCracked screen - has Whitestone Dome and a UAG case on... Both are fine....-screenshot_20180928-150949_textra.jpg
    09-28-2018 02:15 PM
    Curved screen. To get the curve, they heat the edges, then bend the almost-red glass around a form. Then they have to cool it properly to relieve all the stresses caused by the bending. A few degrees off, or a few seconds off and the glass still has some stresses. The pressure of the pocket against the glass, transmitted through the Dome, could have caused the crack. (That's why I hate curved screens.)

I've never cracked a screen either - and I repaired phones for years - but I've never put a phone in my pants pocket since my last flip phone.
    wilsodw and Nostromo79 like this.
    09-28-2018 02:31 PM
    So,

The screen appears to be shattered BENEATH the dome. You can see that the UAG and the dome are untouched. All the damage originated from beneath the dome.

It's the 512GB purple unlocked version.... I have Verizon TEP insurance, and I wonder if they will even have them in stock...

Manufacturing defect?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180928-150945_Textra.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	291272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180928-150949_Textra.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	291273
    Its definitely the screen or the protector? Cant tell by the pictures
    09-28-2018 02:51 PM
    Its definitely the screen or the protector? Cant tell by the pictures
    It's the screen. The protector is untouched
    09-28-2018 03:15 PM
    Maybe file a claim with Whitestone dome. One could probably argue that it didn't do its job.
    KillerQ likes this.
    09-28-2018 03:18 PM
    Is there any situation in which this would be covered by warranty because of the nature of and location of the crack?
    09-28-2018 03:21 PM
    Is there any situation in which this would be covered by warranty because of the nature of and location of the crack?
    Probably not, they will simply claim it was dropped and you can't prove it wasn't. Kind of screwed, which is why I suggested taking it up with Whitestone, just say it was dropped.
    09-28-2018 03:25 PM
    Whitestone will not buy you a new phone.
    09-28-2018 04:54 PM
    This is why I HATE the curved glass. Just doesn't have much of a purpose and takes useful screen real estate away.
    09-28-2018 05:01 PM
    *update*

Good news. I called, and with my Verizon insurance (and the market location I'm within), Verizon will send someone to my house or work and replace my screen for a $29.99 deductible.

Win!!

Actually, unless there's a limit on claims, that's cheaper than a replacement screen protector! I'll skip the protector from now on!
    09-28-2018 07:36 PM
    I bet the phone got too hot from the inside or something. If it happens once it will happen again. I'd demand a replacement.
    09-28-2018 07:39 PM
    I'd definitely let Samsung know if it cracked from within. Could be a build issue.
    KillerQ likes this.
    09-28-2018 07:39 PM
    *update*

Good news. I called, and with my Verizon insurance (and the market location I'm within), Verizon will send someone to my house or work and replace my screen for a $29.99 deductible.

Win!!

Actually, unless there's a limit on claims, that's cheaper than a replacement screen protector! I'll skip the protector from now on!
    Can't beat 29.99
    09-28-2018 07:50 PM
    Good luck trying but IMO it won't matter. Any crack will be seen as user induced.

When the glass comes from Corning its flat and whatever durabiility numbers you see are based on flat glass. Once you have manufacturers needing that glass to be formed to spec, it's my guess the numbers go out the window and I've always believed the curved edges are the weakest point when they are reheated to shape the curve.

I remember when following the Note 7 site, there were much more reports of glass cracking when they said they did nothing at all and ou always see it crack from the curved sides and spider out. or much more sensitive to crack at small drops. My buddy drops his Note 7 maybe 3 feet and cracked. Nothing like the 5 ft demonstrations on Cornings website.

It's nice to see them reduce the curve every year and I'd personally be glad if they phased it out so it becomes easier to get quality glass protectors cheap. Just glassed my wife and daughters 6s and X with Ankar or Spigen glass full adhesive backing for about $9 a piece.

I'd definitely let Samsung know if it cracked from within. Could be a build issue.
    09-28-2018 07:56 PM
    This is why I HATE the curved glass. Just doesn't have much of a purpose and takes useful screen real estate away.

I agree 100% hate the curved screens.
    fernandez21 likes this.
    09-28-2018 08:08 PM
    So,

Manufacturing defect?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180928-150945_Textra.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	291272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180928-150949_Textra.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	291273
    Can you take a pic without screen protector?
    KillerQ and kevinpleasants like this.
    09-28-2018 08:10 PM
    I actually wanna leave it on until I get it replaced....
    09-28-2018 08:13 PM
    Probably not and have not installed my dome yet, but with that glass dome and all that glue down the sides kinda makes me wonder if a phone is designed to dissipate heat does it or can it with added glass? Maybe the question is with super duper screen protectors can it dissipate heat effectively.
    09-29-2018 05:59 PM
    Phones already have to deal with heat cases wrapped around most of its body anyways... I imagine a layer of glass or plastic over a screen won't be any worse.

Probably not and have not installed my dome yet, but with that glass dome and all that glue down the sides kinda makes me wonder if a phone is designed to dissipate heat does it or can it with added glass? Maybe the question is with super duper screen protectors can it dissipate heat effectively.
    09-29-2018 07:04 PM
    Samsung really needs to either drop these curved displays or at the very least sell a version with a flat display. While they look cool, they're easier to break, harder to get screen protectors for, cases aren't as protective, reduces usability of screen, more prone to phantom touchs, and can distort images. It's the epitome of form over function
    09-29-2018 08:44 PM
    It would take a sudden change in temperature to make that glass crack based on temperature.
    SR45 likes this.
    09-29-2018 09:46 PM
    Curved screen. To get the curve, they heat the edges, then bend the almost-red glass around a form. Then they have to cool it properly to relieve all the stresses caused by the bending. A few degrees off, or a few seconds off and the glass still has some stresses. The pressure of the pocket against the glass, transmitted through the Dome, could have caused the crack. (That's why I hate curved screens.)

I've never cracked a screen either - and I repaired phones for years - but I've never put a phone in my pants pocket since my last flip phone.
    I have the otterbox defender screenless case and have a curved screen protector on it
    09-30-2018 12:14 AM
    The only thing that will change Samsung's mind about curved back to flat is sales.

People stop buying curved screens in enough numbers and they'll go back to flat is my guess.
    SR45 likes this.
    09-30-2018 12:21 AM