Note 9 - Bixby and Google Assistant for sending text.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can say to Bixby: "Send text message to Chris that says 'hi how are you?'" and I will be met with an onslaught of spelling errors, clarification questions and extra steps that makes it more trouble than typing it in the first place.

I can say to Google Assistant:" Send text message to Chris that says 'Hi, how are you?'" and it will be perfectly composed, to the proper contact, and will send automatically.

There is no legitimate reason that exists that can explain why there has to be this much of a gap between these two technologies.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There is no legitimate reason that exists that can explain why there has to be this much of a gap between these two technologies.

At least two reasons:

1. Voice recognition and AI are strong core competencies for Google. Not at all for Samsung.
2. Google Assistant has a few years head start and therefore is a more mature product.

I don't see how Bixby could ever catch up to Google Assistant.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It also kills me that Bixby, which is resident on the phone, won't understand "call Colleen," where Google assistant on the same phone nails it every time.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I love Google Assistant and all my Google Homes! I feel a little sorry for Bixby LOL I also don't see how it can ever compete with Google. I know Bixby can change some settings within the phone that Google can't (for now) but those are so minor that it makes (me) wonder why they even bothered implementing such commands. I have my N9 in the most unobtrusive car mount I could find and that doesn't block an AC vent. It syncs with the BTST in my car. I can send text messages hands free. The car intercepts incoming text messages and reads them. I can ask Google questions and play music from GPM and all feedback comes thru the car's speakers. It's a good/exciting time to be alive :)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I also have seen many cases where Google gets something right and immediately provides the info I want but with Bixby sometimes it's wrong, she doesn't k ow what I want, or she just doesnt pull up any info.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Google assistant isn't available for my note 9
You dont have this?
233faf74eeeb780474043fbcbc78ef2b.jpg

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I love Google Assistant and all my Google Homes! I feel a little sorry for Bixby LOL I also don't see how it can ever compete with Google. I know Bixby can change some settings within the phone that Google can't (for now) but those are so minor that it makes (me) wonder why they even bothered implementing such commands. I have my N9 in the most unobtrusive car mount I could find and that doesn't block an AC vent. It syncs with the BTST in my car. I can send text messages hands free. The car intercepts incoming text messages and reads them. I can ask Google questions and play music from GPM and all feedback comes thru the car's speakers. It's a good/exciting time to be alive :)
Bixby isn't intended to compete with Google. They are for entirely different purposes. Once you start using Bixby and get it setup correctly, it actually works very well and is extremely useful.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Bixby isn't intended to compete with Google. They are for entirely different purposes. Once you start using Bixby and get it setup correctly, it actually works very well and is extremely useful.

I don't see how you can say they are for entirely different purposes when there is so much overlap in the two. Nearly everything Google Assistant does, Bixby tries to do, just not as well. There are some things Bixby does (e.g., changing some settings) that Google Assistant does not do (and that list is getting smaller), but in almost all of those cases, in my opinion, those are not very useful from an Assistant. But I recognize those might be useful for other.

I have tried using Bixby a lot and it simply is not good at understanding my voice no matter how much I use and tried to correct it. Google Assistant is nearly flawless.

Last edited:

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how you can say they are for entirely different purposes when there is so much overlap in the two. Nearly everything Google Assistant does, Bixby tries to do, just not as well. There are some things Bixby does (e.g., changing some settings) that Google Assistant does not do (and that list is getting smaller), but in almost all of those cases, in my opinion, those are not very useful from an Assistant. But I recognize those might be useful for other s.

I have tried using Bixby a lot and it simply is not good at understanding my voice no matter how much I use and tried to correct it. Google Assistant is nearly flawless.
Bixby is designed for phone control not really internet based searches or functions. Google is designed for web based functions and not really for total phone control. There is some overlapping, but totally different ideas for functionality.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Both do phone control; both do internet-based searches. To me they are substitutes. But yes, Bixby can do some additional phone control functions. If one values those additional phone control functions, I can see how that person would see the two as different kinds of products.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Both do phone control; both do internet-based searches. To me they are substitutes. But yes, Bixby can do some additional phone control functions. If one values those additional phone control functions, I can see how that person would see the two as different kinds of products.
Check out the Tutorial section in Bixby Voice. There's a lot of information there that explains what Bixby can do.

auntpie

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I would love to use Google Assistant, especially while driving, but it doesn't work consistently for me. Sometimes the phone won't open at all, almost like it doesn't hear me. Can road nose affect it? I'm on the Galaxy S8+.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I would love to use Google Assistant, especially while driving, but it doesn't work consistently for me. Sometimes the phone won't open at all, almost like it doesn't hear me. Can road nose affect it? I'm on the Galaxy S8+.

Yes, road noise can affect it. My car is pretty quiet but depending on the road, I'll have to speak a little louder. Of course you'll want to turn your radio down before trying to wake up your phone. Position of the phone also makes a difference. If I'm driving, I have the phone in the car mount with the speaker towards me. If I'm the passenger, I turn it around so it's pointed to the passenger seat and not the driver's seat. My phone mount is a horizontal mount.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So is there a trick to using either one of them with voice control when you have your phone locked? I have the setting to use it but it still tells me I need to unlock my phone LOL. Kind of defeats the purpose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21