10-13-2019 11:57 PM
59 123
tools
    Lots of this previously addressed recently here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-new-post.html
    As much fun as an IR blaster may be for some and useful for others it just doesn't appear to be a feature that is desired by the masses. I owned two devices that had an IR blaster but that was simply coincidence.
    I don't know anyone outside of this forum that wants one so I can understand it being cut from the list of common features.
    10-02-2018 05:32 PM
    I love it, sure I change the channels or turn off the TV but it's useful when I'm at GoodLife working out and don't exactly wanna watch HGTV (Home & Garden) while I'm relaxing on the massage chair.

Some days or night I can't stay home to watch NFL so I have to schedule it when I hit the gym.

It wouldn't be a problem if they gave us access to the remote.
    10-02-2018 06:57 PM
    IR blasters are OK but as I asked in the Note 9 thread.... can it core a Apple?
    10-02-2018 08:30 PM
    IR blasters are OK but as I asked in the Note 9 thread.... can it core a Apple?
    😁😂😂
    10-02-2018 09:17 PM
    Someone probably screwed with a highest up at Samsung's TV. Just ruined it for all of us... Lol
    autoXr48 and Beansr519 like this.
    10-02-2018 11:06 PM
    Someone probably screwed with a highest up at Samsung's TV. Just ruined it for all of us... Lol
    You nailed it
    🤣🤣🤣
    autoXr48 and Beansr519 like this.
    10-02-2018 11:31 PM
    Have you honestly compared the space available in satellite receivers, Televisions and smartphones? Huge difference. IR as a TV remote technology is antiquated and honestly has no place in tight market and product such as that of smartphones.

Give it a few more years, ths IR will be gone from most new televisions and receivers as well. It never really made it to devices like Roku, Amazon firestick, Google Chromecast, AppleTV, etc... Again those (like smartphones) were already space constrained. The argument is kinda moot really - the writing's already on the wall.
    I bought 3 new TVs in the last 3 months. All different brands. They're all IR. No TV manufacturer is going to spend MORE money to install a feature that no one is asking for.

Aside: I have an RF remote in my Tivo. I HATE IT. It's to easy to bump when it's on the couch and change the channel or have it do other things. Get it caught in between the seat cushions and the results are just crazy. Channels change, input selection changed, volume goes up/down.

Having an RF remote is a horrible experience and I wish I could change my Tivo to IR.
    autoXr48 likes this.
    10-03-2018 01:41 PM
    NONE of my TVs (past 2 Samsungs, current 2 Samsungs, 1 TCL) nor any of my remote-controlled devices are IR anymore. Haven't used an IR remote in years. Even cheapo-Roku stick is BT for a couple years now. An IR port would be just one more plastic cover that can break and get dusty on a phone (for me) now.
    10-03-2018 03:51 PM
    NONE of my TVs (past 2 Samsungs, current 2 Samsungs, 1 TCL) nor any of my remote-controlled devices are IR anymore. Haven't used an IR remote in years. Even cheapo-Roku stick is BT for a couple years now. An IR port would be just one more plastic cover that can break and get dusty on a phone (for me) now.
    The IR port on LG phones was tiny and flush with the phone. Having said that it's a feature I would never use.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    10-03-2018 04:19 PM
    The IR port on LG phones was tiny and flush with the phone. Having said that it's a feature I would never use.
    You wouldn't be saying that if your kids lose the remote or decided to leave only 1 battery in it 😂😂 and so conveniently happens when u need to switch the channel to watch the playoffs
    Beansr519 likes this.
    10-03-2018 04:24 PM
    I have one of the Logitech remotes with the hub. if I really need to use my phone or tablet to control it, I can open the app and it will control everything via WiFi.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    10-03-2018 04:31 PM
    You wouldn't be saying that if your kids lose the remote or decided to leave only 1 battery in it 😂😂 and so conveniently happens when u need to switch the channel to watch the playoffs
    We could come up with a thousand scenarios of one off reasons why we would need one in a pinch. That doesn't justify the need to put it in a phone. My remotes never leave the proximity of where they are needed. Comethink of it, most of the remotes in my house support other devices so I would most likey never be in that situation.

I understand all the arguments for and against it. Wouldn't bother me if every phone had it, but the days of IR blaster support have past. Those days aren't coming back anytime soon. Just my realistic view.
    10-03-2018 04:56 PM
    We could come up with a thousand scenarios of one off reasons why we would need one in a pinch. That doesn't justify the need to put it in a phone. My remotes never leave the proximity of where they are needed. Comethink of it, most of the remotes in my house support other devices so I would most likey never be in that situation.

I understand all the arguments for and against it. Wouldn't bother me if every phone had it, but the days of IR blaster support have past. Those days aren't coming back anytime soon. Just my realistic view.
    I definitely I agree with you it's not coming back , but I've missed it . Had it on my htc and Samsung phones, but I guess if you have a Samsung TV there's a app that can control that still.
    10-03-2018 05:05 PM
    It was just an added feature that was possible i seen in an old phone no reason for debate over laziness technology to keep us from getting out of our seat....but i will say infrared isnt antiquated and is used in many things currently and even the US military uses sophisticated heat seeking missiles with infrared if im not mistaking.
    10-03-2018 09:10 PM
    It was just an added feature that was possible i seen in an old phone no reason for debate over laziness technology to keep us from getting out of our seat....but i will say infrared isnt antiquated and is used in many things currently and even the US military uses sophisticated heat seeking missiles with infrared if im not mistaking.
    Infared isn't antiquated, using it to control household devices has begun to become antiquated because we have better solutions that don't require LOS, etc.
    10-03-2018 10:36 PM
    My last 2 phones didn't come with an IR blaster which is the reason I went out and invested in Logitech's Harmony hubs and remotes. If I'm not paying for it to be included in my phone I guess I am paying for it one way or another.
    10-04-2018 11:48 AM
    I still love and continue to use note 3's I have picked up fairly cheap online after losing my mint condition original purchase...still always hoping something with newer faster specs would come out that I actually see as better other than speed. I tried the note 5 when released and it's been relegated to gear vr only after going back to my note 3 for lack of IR Blaster, sd slot and removable battery. Plus on Sprint it no longer had dual radios to do simultaneous talk and surf because they still didn't do voice over LTE. I've been complaining for years since about the direction phones have taken and tried making it known at Samsung while visiting CES in 2016. My input clearly fell on deaf ears there. Hearing the words premium feel and fingerprint magnet on about every phone review make me want to punch something. It's a handheld tool that should be light and durable, don't care about minor cosmetic dings along the way...compared to easily shattering your whole device now. Polymer aka plastic construction is more resilient to bending and shattering compared to all metal and glass. The hardware should be feature packed, not stripped away with newer models. There is no reason to have a handheld device made of all breakable glass just because they can. Get a special case if you're such a klutz around liquid. I've got a dedicated GoPro for that stuff.

The note 3 or 4 was/is the Swiss Army knife of smartphones or phablets. A large screen, a real digitizer stylus, more than 2 gigs RAM, external memory slot, swappable battery, and the IR Blaster which makes the best Universal Remote everyday or in a pinch while traveling. I finally gave up on slider keyboards when screens got huge but the Pen and IR blaster and preferably a swappable battery, card slot and tried and true analog headphone jack are still the most useful specs to someone who actually uses their phone as a tool rather than an accessory piece. Smart Remote or Anymote by Color Tiger has been one of my favorite apps to take much more advantage of the IR Blaster than the preloaded bloat they came with which was more about marketing consumer viewing than the IR feature. So yeah bring back the IR Blaster...most consumer devices still use it as their standard means of user control. If LG hadn't caved on the swappable battery and they actually added a real digitizer stylus to a flagship offering I'd likely have gone over to them. The Stylo doesn't cut it unfortunately.
    10-04-2018 12:37 PM
    give me the ir blaster back in Samsung phones and I would be a happy camper!!
    10-04-2018 06:02 PM
    Any chance they add it back in the 10?
    10-04-2018 07:13 PM
    Any chance they add it back in the 10?
    I don't think it is on the list
    10-04-2018 07:53 PM
    Check out Huawei if u want an ir Blaster.
    anon(20964) likes this.
    10-04-2018 08:13 PM
    People forget that ir blasters are also good for air conditioners, home theater systems and even DSLR cameras..not just TV.

Like the radio chip, it blasters should be included in all the flagship phones. These new phones are getting bigger and bigger so there is space AND they don't waste battery (they use the battery when you use those features).

P.s. not any it blasters...but the ones that have both receivers and transmitters (so you can point your remote to your phone and copy any ir remite directly to your phone)
    10-06-2018 12:42 AM
    I think IR is dated, but it's certainly not outdated. While there are more advanced technologies, it's still a long way off from disappearing - and certainly it's not going to disappear during the life of your Note 9. Shoot, universal remotes are based on IR and WiFi, not RF so it that would kind of go out the window. That being said, when I had it on my older Galaxy phones I never used it (remember the Peel software that was preinstalled?!). But then one day I found it useful and just when I found it useful, they removed it from their phones. lol I don't think it's ever coming back. I'm not sure I miss it, but I think there just wasn't enough people using it rather than space issues.

If I had it today, I'd probably use it for my air conditioner, fans, and at the pub.
    10-06-2018 02:48 AM
    Haha, that was basically what I used it for. Man, I miss the Note 4.
    Oh no no no. I had every TV in my house programmed on my phone. I had my parents VCR/DVR players and TV. Same with my grandparents. Towards the end my grandparents were ALWAYS messing up the order of working those devices. I would just select the house profile I wanted and could control all of their 'entertainment' devices from my phone. That and DLNA support for networking. i could walk in, switch their tv's over, then pop pictures of the kids straight onto their tv's, all from my cell. Once those 2 things left phones, i had to hook up cables and pull out 3 remotes to make it all work. Worse, when Samsung decided that you didn't need an easy cable to tv option. *huffs* It felt like the tech went backwards over the last 10 years.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    02-07-2019 06:55 PM
    Gone with the wind....
    02-07-2019 07:02 PM
59 123