What happened to the ir blaster?

Creedyfbaby

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
Seems like a oretty good feature im new to the note series but a universal remote seems like it would be icing on the cake for the note 9 does anyone know why it was removed?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a oretty good feature im new to the note series but a universal remote seems like it would be icing on the cake for the note 9 does anyone know why it was removed?
It's just a general trend. Take away features, make incremental spec upgrades, wrap it in a fragile paper thin glass body, and charge more for it. The LG V20 is one of, if not the last flagship I'm aware of that had the IR Blaster.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
IR is antiquated technology. It's supplanted /replaced by bluetooth or RF. Maintaining necessary supply/distribution of IR parts is costly and risky from a business perspective. Not to mention the PCB and chassis space needed. I'm glad IR blaster was dropped. I would question the wisdom of a phone manufacturer that kept it in the design past 2012 or so.

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
IR is antiquated technology. It's supplanted /replaced by bluetooth or RF. Maintaining necessary supply/distribution of IR parts is costly and risky from a business perspective. Not to mention the PCB and chassis space needed. I'm glad IR blaster was dropped. I would question the wisdom of a phone manufacturer that kept it in the design past 2012 or so.

Why though? it's fun to be able to change the TV channel at a gym or bar.

Creedyfbaby

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
As long as its easy to hide in the design i dont see the issue however if its ugly and sticks out yes dont put it in hell the pen could have it on one end and add 3 extra buttons for some extra function.

Creedyfbaby

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site

What tv company do you know that has dropped infrared for RF or BT yes my satellite reciever uses ir and rf but TVs 98% are ir that cant be antiquated

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
What tv company do you know that has dropped infrared for RF or BT yes my satellite reciever uses ir and rf but TVs 98% are ir that cant be antiquated

Have you honestly compared the space available in satellite receivers, Televisions and smartphones? Huge difference. IR as a TV remote technology is antiquated and honestly has no place in tight market and product such as that of smartphones.

Give it a few more years, ths IR will be gone from most new televisions and receivers as well. It never really made it to devices like Roku, Amazon firestick, Google Chromecast, AppleTV, etc... Again those (like smartphones) were already space constrained. The argument is kinda moot really - the writing's already on the wall.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you honestly compared the space available in satellite receivers, Televisions and smartphones?

This is the IR Blaster on the V20 main board. Space isn't really the issue.

IMG_20181002_085327.jpg

I'd hardly call it antiquated technology too. IR is a very robust technology for controlling devices. Why? It just works. It's rare that there's a problem with it. When you move into Wi-Fi and Bluetooth type technologies, now you have to worry about app/phone compatibilities, app/device (t.v., satellite, etc) compatiblities, WiFi/Bluetooth compatibility, and you have to worry about the extra time to link up devices. I can use IR to control both my TV and Xbox 360. The TV isn't smart, but the Xbox app was so bad at keeping a link that it is just quicker and easier to control it with IR too.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is the IR Blaster on the V20 main board. Space isn't really the issue.

View attachment 291467

I'd hardly call it antiquated technology too. IR is a very robust technology for controlling devices. Why? It just works. It's rare that there's a problem with it. When you move into Wi-Fi and Bluetooth type technologies, now you have to worry about app/phone compatibilities, app/device (t.v., satellite, etc) compatiblities, WiFi/Bluetooth compatibility, and you have to worry about the extra time to link up devices. I can use IR to control both my TV and Xbox 360. The TV isn't smart, but the Xbox app was so bad at keeping a link that it is just quicker and easier to control it with IR too.

On current phones space like that is premium real estate.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On current phones space like that is premium real estate.
I would counter (or maybe simply justify) that phones are getting too thin as it is, leading to more fragility. A paper thin phone is just begging to be broken.

Make them thicker and you free up a lot of space for things like that, can have a bigger battery, and a frame that is more durable.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I would counter (or maybe simply justify) that phones are getting too thin as it is, leading to more fragility. A paper thin phone is just begging to be broken.

Make them thicker and you free up a lot of space for things like that, can have a bigger battery, and a frame that is more durable.

I would gladly trade an extra millimeter of thickness for an IR blaster.

And for God's sake Samsung, don't take away my headphone jack just to save me the extra millimeter!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As long as its easy to hide in the design i dont see the issue however if its ugly and sticks out yes dont put it in hell the pen could have it on one end and add 3 extra buttons for some extra function.
I never saw a phone with an ugly ir blaster in fact I've never been able to tell if it was present externally.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you honestly compared the space available in satellite receivers, Televisions and smartphones? Huge difference. IR as a TV remote technology is antiquated and honestly has no place in tight market and product such as that of smartphones.

Give it a few more years, ths IR will be gone from most new televisions and receivers as well. It never really made it to devices like Roku, Amazon firestick, Google Chromecast, AppleTV, etc... Again those (like smartphones) were already space constrained. The argument is kinda moot really - the writing's already on the wall.
Phones last 2 years. TV's still sold today use ir and usually last at least 5. I still have my V20 primarily due to its ir capability. My stereo receiver/amp, ceiling fans, ac, 4 tv's, all cable boxes including new X1, Bose radio cd changer and dvd player all use ir and all will outlive my next phone. I understand phone companies have dumped the tech and it isn't coming back but please don't tell me any phone is better BECAUSE phone is without it. It's preposterous.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't miss the IR blaster, but I certainly hope the headphone jack is not removed.
I couldn't care less. It is outdated technology and wastes space. I suggest Bluetooth headphones. Please note I am being sarcastic. I prefer a headphone jack too.

I leave my Note3 in my bedroom and control tv, ac, ceiling fan, Xfinity X1 etc with it. Too much of a bother to keep track of all the remotes that come with things.