A Texting App to Rule Them All?

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks,

I'm hoping that a texting app exists that has the following and that someone can point me to it.

Here are the apps I've tried.

I've stuck with Textra for now because, while it doesn't have all of my wish list, (coming below), it has my highest priority.

I've used: Textra, Handscent, Pulse, Mood, and Samsung Messages.

Wish List:

Ability to have different notification sounds for each contact: All have this.

Ability to have different notification icons for each contact: All but Samsung Message have this.

Ability to have a different background for each person: I think only Handscent has this... Mood maybe did too?

Ability to have a night or dark mode: I think they all have this.

Ability to schedule texts to go out at a given time: All have this.

Ability to repeat the same same text over a period of time without having to set it up for each new day: Only Handscent has this.

Ideally the ability to set up a repeating schedule with a start and end date, like Oct 9 - Oct 19: None have this.

My most important feature, and why Textra wins since it's the only one that can do this, (unless I just can't figure out how to get it to work in other apps): The ability to show each customized icon on my AOD/Status bar for each contact.

Meaning... my wife's icon is greeen, my son's blue, all others orange.

If I have a text from them both and someone else, I have a green, blue, and orange icon on my AOD/Status bar. The other apps just show that last one received.

So... do any texting apps have ALL of those items? If Handscent allowed me to see each different notification icon at the same time on my AOD/Status bar, I'd be using that since it has most of what I want: custom backgrounds and repeatable text scheduling.

Thoughts? advice?

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Both scheduled texts and individual icons on the lock screen are major changes, so I don't think you'd get either development team to add the missing function. About the only wan to do it would be to learn programming, learn Java and Kotlin, learn about texting and develop your own.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Both scheduled texts and individual icons on the lock screen are major changes, so I don't think you'd get either development team to add the missing function. About the only wan to do it would be to learn programming, learn Java and Kotlin, learn about texting and develop your own.

Well Handcescnt does the former... at least being able to repeat, so that's more than the others.

Textra does the latter... so if I could get the repeatable scheduling that Handscent does AND the notification functionality that Textra does in one app... that'd be great, and obviously "do-ble," since each app already does one or the other.

I can code in Java, but not Kotlin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci