How's your suspended apps behaving?

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Last week I was measuring battery performance. (Excellent, just excellent.)

Now, I'm measuring actual performance. I swapped the 6 GB to the 8 GB just for that extra oomph, but I'm not really impressed.

For example.
I usually have these apps suspended in memory. Facebook. Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Android Central, Gmail, Messages, Twitter, Camera and the Web Browser. All my daily needs. Hovers between 3 - 3.4 GB RAM left.

After some time I noticed apps way in the back still have to refresh. The app flashes white, then takes a second to "reload." That usually happens once it's kicked out of memory. With 8 GB of RAM I should have 10x as many open before stuff starts getting kicked.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's just a minor annoyance. I'm hoping it's just a bug because if it's not, that kinda sucks. Kinda makes the whole "8 GB RAM" thing lose its' appeal.

I've had the phone less than 2 weeks. It was setup as new. I have since at least rebooted once or twice and cleared the Cache partition.

I just want to narrow it down to a bug in the system, or just me.

Richard Stewart79

Sep 3, 2018
Visit site
There was a YouTube video from a well known tech viewer a few weeks back that tested both the 6gb vs 8gb. Both versions only could hold open same number of apps b4 closing them out.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It seems the threshold is really low. Maybe a software update can better manage because it's not like I'm running anything crazy, just your normal day to day.

Gmail and a few other apps reloaded even though I had 2.9 GB of RAM available.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've honestly noticed the same with my 512. I play that Wordscapes game, which sin't even intensive, and it reload constantly. I guess part of that could be that I never told Android NOT to make it go to sleep and it may be doing just that.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I've not looked ultra carefully at my open apps but I can say I've not noticed them reloading on my Note 9 512Gb version.

Mayne the apps I leave open aren't the same so behave differently.

My phone occasionally chooses to put certain ones to sleep.

I opt not to set preferences to override anything.