Pixel 3 whose switching?

Colin Cohen

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
As long as you are happy getting software updates a year after other phones receive the updates after yours.

Did you really say pen? I've tried using it and no matter what I want to do with it, my fingers can do it faster. Why do you think not a single other phone uses pens? Don't lie to yourself. That thing is worthless.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
And you've never come close to using 4 gb of ram.

Every phone that has had 4GB of ram or less has also had stuttering and lag. My Note 8/S9+/Note 9 are the only phones that I own today that do not have any stuttering/lag.

Those phones with only 4GB ram have .5GB reserved for the GPU just as any other phone does but that just leaves 3.5GB for the phone to use for apps and anything else.

0rl1

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Hell nope... I had the first Pixel when my note 7 was recalled... But next year changed to the Note8... and this year got the Note 9 the first... I love it

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Can't say ANY phone.

My iPhone 6s is over 3 years old with iOS 12.1 and runs my apps pretty smoothly for a phone released over 3 years ago and it only has 2 gb ram. No Stutter or lag. Just a step or two slower probably even though I don't really care to notice it.

Wife's iPhone X has 3gb ram and that phone can go head to head with any phone performance-wise of any phone out now and no stutter or lag and I expect her phone to run no stutter or lag 3-4 years out too like the 6S with iOS 16. So it's possible.

Of course you can't compare any normal android phones to perform like those after 2+ years... heck I think the Note 8 is the first Samsung phone not afflicted with the known Samsung lag before 1 year. (Imagine an S7 that's a year newer than an iPhone 6S and I couldn't imagine being able to run as smooth as my 6s even with Oreo update).

But I would think that the Pixel 3 with P they may be able to get a step closer to being able to reliably do more with less like Apple is able to show with their control of hardware and software and that it continues to do so into year 2 and 3 with Apple like updates.

A Pixel 3 with Android S, with as much of the newest OS updates and features of the 2021 Pixel 6, running as smooth with and no stutter as the day it had P... just a step or two slower.

That's what makes a phone earn the label "future proof" as discussed in another thread.

Every phone that has had 4GB of ram or less has also had stuttering and lag. My Note 8/S9+/Note 9 are the only phones that I own today that do not have any stuttering/lag.

Those phones with only 4GB ram have .5GB reserved for the GPU just as any other phone does but that just leaves 3.5GB for the phone to use for apps and anything else.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
As long as you are happy getting software updates a year after other phones receive the updates after yours.

Did you really say pen? I've tried using it and no matter what I want to do with it, my fingers can do it faster. Why do you think not a single other phone uses pens? Don't lie to yourself. That thing is worthless.

I actually use my pen for a lot of things. Just because you don't doesn't mean no one finds it useful.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It varies. I rarely used mine when I had a Note but my buddy who has a Note uses it a ton for his business and singing documents.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I use the pen all the time to capture parts of the screen to make memes out of or to just save. I don't use the Bluetooth functionality of the pen at all and haven't even tried it once. There's tons of uses for the pen that don't involve writing.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I said this last week as well. I think Samsung may be trending to just use Samsung experience version to differentiate software. They can say it's based on Android 8.1 or whatever. But, the features are more so based on SE version.
Also, a finger cannot replace an S-pen. Maybe other phones don't use them because of patents or actually having to develop software for it instead of just plopping down the latest version of Android on it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Lol.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Updates are over rated and a lot of times worse than the previous versions.

One reason to go with the Pixel would be the camera, wouldn't even consider the XL with that hideous notch, it's aweful.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
The smoothness of pure Android would be the biggest reason, I like Samsung and it's what I use but every single one I've had gets laggy at times

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Mine hasnt been laggy, but the intermittent camera issue is a tad irritating. Love the Note other than that. Still hard set on Samsungs and Notes in particular.
The smoothness of pure Android would be the biggest reason, I like Samsung and it's what I use but every single one I've had gets laggy at times

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I was waiting for the Pixel 3 or 3xl, but went for the Note 9 once all the specs “leaked”.

I don’t think there are many surprises now that the pixel phones are official.

Staying with the Note 9.

R

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance