Switched from iPhone6 to Note9. Contacts aren't syncing properly

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi there. Former phone is an iPhone 6. New phone is a Note 9. moved the Sim card from the iPhone to the Note. used iCloud to sync contacts with Gmail. Installed Gmail Contacts on phone. all the texts in Android Messages, which transferred, only have phone numbers no names.

Also google contacts has been "getting contacts - this might take a while" for two days.

Thank you for any help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Tap the address bar in a message you're going to send and it should bring up the contacts list - with names. Choose one and it will put the name on the Messages screen, but the number in the destination field (which you won't see).

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. Former phone is an iPhone 6. New phone is a Note 9. moved the Sim card from the iPhone to the Note. used iCloud to sync contacts with Gmail. Installed Gmail Contacts on phone. all the texts in Android Messages, which transferred, only have phone numbers no names.

Also google contacts has been "getting contacts - this might take a while" for two days.

Thank you for any help

I would Go to Settings, go to Cloud and Accounts, click Accounts, find your Google account and then click on Sync Account. Turn off Sync Contacts.

Then go back to Settings, Apps and then click on the More (3 dots) button and Show System Apps. Scroll down and find Contacts and Contacts Storage. Click on one, then click on Storage and Clear Cache and Clear Data. Go back and do the same for the other item.

Then back into Settings, go to Cloud and Accounts, click Accounts, find your Google account and then click on Sync Account. Turn ON Sync Contacts. Let it sync (will show "Last synced....")

Once that is complete, exit Settings and go to your Contacts app and open it and see if your contacts appear there. If they do appear, then your contacts are now syncing properly.

If Android Messages still shows no names, go back into Settings, Apps, Google Messsage and clear the cache and data for that app as well. Then restart the app and see if it pulls the names/numbers properly.

Hope this helps!

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I know this may not help make your transfer issue easier, but Apple is notorious for not playing nice with other mobile OS's. I still suffer from my time spent in the Apple sandbox.

Fortunately, for me most of my contacts were already in my Google profile prior to using Apple.

Best wishes. Luckily if you ever decide to switch back to Apple, your new Google contacts will port over easier.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Your carrier may have a backup offering. Apps to copy to SIM card.

I'd think your carrier would want a newer SIM and to input IMEI when activating. At least AT&T does.

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
Use smartswitch on your note 9 and if I remember correctly on the iPhone.
It will transfer them

Samsung Smart Switch: Transfer Contacts, Music and More I Samsung US
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ung.com%2Fus%2Fsmart-switch%2F&token=QQ8Y9-NU

Yes I agree Smart Switch did it for me as well. I did have a whole bunch of duplicate apps so I downloaded this app and all was well in the Android world.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simpler.merge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome