Well it IS waterproof

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That’s really cool. It’s nice to be able to do that. I wouldn’t risk it myself but I’m glad it worked out well for you. Can you post some pictures?

I am honestly not trying to nitpick here. Sometimes forum threads show up on google searches. I just want to clarify for someone that might be searching and asking google if the Note 9 is waterproof. The phone is definitely not waterproof nor does Samsung claim it is. I would just hate for someone that doesn’t know any better to read this thread and get the wrong idea. The Note 9 is water resistant to within certain tolerances, not waterproof.

Enjoy the Note 9!! Love the new cloud silver color. I’m eyeing that right now.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Trying to paste the url from Samsung here but having a hard time with Tapatalk...

The 6 means total dust ingress protection, the 8 means something water ingress protection but it can be different for different devices.

Samsung says 1.5 m for 30 minutes.

It is not worth arguing about the term “water proof”.. just follow the guidelines for your particular device.

R

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
I dropped mine down the loo.
Even though the water was clear, I washed it under the tap.
It didn't like that and kept giving me warnings.
I think washing it was the problem. The force of water.
Took 2 days in the airing cupboard and now it's fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
it would be water proof only for 1.5 meters for30 minutes if your in clean water in a lab . In pools other liquids or ocean the salt and chemical can eat the seals that's why it's more for protection in case a accident happens . that's the reason they can't honor warranty if it gets water inside from chemical breaking through the seals

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
I have been using my Note9 under water photoshoot. Only problem is that the display gets ghost touches. But I can triger video above surface or take photo with volume key.

I wont last in 4,5m dept. Now for sure. Mine went broken, water inside the lenses etc. But I know it, but it was accident;-)

I shoot in variety indoor pools. I can give you some photos later on.

*I also did use my previous Note8 and S9+ for taking photos and videos under water.

ALWAYS AROUND 1M DEPT AND FOR SHORT PERIOD, 10-15MIN MINUTES.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674