Well it IS waterproof

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I NEVER take my phone near water. I don't take it into the kitchen nor bathroom. I have no intention of being the one to tell Samsung the phone did get damaged in water. I'm happy knowing that if I get caught in the rain my phone will be ok

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I NEVER take my phone near water. I don't take it into the kitchen nor bathroom.
Wow. Are you worried about splashing, or about dropping it into water? I'd be more afraid about dropping it onto a solid surface than into a liquid.

Many of us use the phone underwater, as it is designed for, and reports of water damage appear rarely if ever. It should be noted though that the phone is not advertised to be safe in salt or chlorine, but in practice that doesn't seem to be a problem, especially if you soak the phone in plain water shortly afterward.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
If they don't warranty water damage, it isn't meant to be in the water. Getting caught in the rain or something, maybe, but it's it's not meant to he an underwater Camera. IMHO

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 2 is water resistant but I still choose to keep it out of and away from water, rain, snow, etc; as much as possible. But different strokes for different folks!

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I will never intentionally put my $1200 device in water. it's water RESISTANT not water PROOF. Two different meanings. I just know that if my phone accidentally falls in a puddle or gets wet from rain it'll be okay. but i will never put it in water just because "other people do it".

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
i will never put it in water just because "other people do it".
No one proposed that as a reason for putting the phone in water. A much better reason is that it has an IP68 rating. That's much more specific than either "proof" or "resistant". It means the phone is able to withstand immersion in water to a depth of 1.5 meters for 30 minutes, without damage.

I just know that if my phone accidentally falls in a puddle [...] it'll be okay
Not really. Falling in a puddle can cause both impact damage and water damage, because IP68 only refers to a device that's calmly submerged. If it's moving at high velocity instead, the water pressure against it is increased, potentially beyond the IP68 limit.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I will never intentionally put my $1200 device in water. it's water RESISTANT not water PROOF. Two different meanings. I just know that if my phone accidentally falls in a puddle or gets wet from rain it'll be okay. but i will never put it in water just because "other people do it".

To me, water resistant is more along the lines of what you are saying - when it's an accidental drop, some rain splashes, etc.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
To me, water resistant is more along the lines of what you are saying - when it's an accidental drop, some rain splashes, etc.

Exactly - this phone has never been advertised as waterproof, it's been advertised as water resistant which is a different meaning. So people can dunk their phones in water all they want but there is no warranty for water damaged devices. Says it clear as day in the warranty agreement so people need to be more careful

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
The same ppl that will be pissed at Samsung for not covering the repairs under warranty when it clearly States water damage isn't covered.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The same ppl that will be pissed at Samsung for not covering the repairs under warranty when it clearly States water damage isn't covered.
A company is legally required to take responsibility if their product has a defect that keeps it from working as advertised. They can't shirk their responsibility just by declaring that they won't cover it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A company is legally required to take responsibility if their product has a defect that keeps it from working as advertised. They can't shirk their responsibility just by declaring that they won't cover it.
Again, the phone is not marketed as waterproof and is only water resistant under a specific test condition. It is not designed or meant to be regularly used underwater in wildly variable conditions, thus no warranty coverage for water damage. If you take it into a pool and the chlorine eats away the seals, drop it in a river and water is forced past the seals due to the current, or any other number of situations that result in water damage is NOT a defect as they exceed the design/test limitations.

It's like how a car is designed to handle bumps with its suspension system. That doesn't mean you can rallycross with it and claim warranty when you tear it up because the suspension failed. You can consider IP ratings almost as nothing more than marketing gimmicks when it comes to phones. The rating has meaning, but it is not all encompassing as some believe.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Again, the phone is not marketed as waterproof.
Correct. As I said, it's marketed as IP68.

I also agree, and already stated above, that it's not advertised as chlorine-resistant, salt-resistant, etc. But if you do use it as advertised, it has to perform as advertised, or else it's Samsung's responsibility, whether their warranty says so or not.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct. As I said, it's marketed as IP68.

I also agree, and already stated above, that it's not advertised as chlorine-resistant, salt-resistant, etc. But if you do use it as advertised, it has to perform as advertised, or else it's Samsung's responsibility, whether their warranty says so or not.
Perhaps a misunderstanding on my part, but the post you quoted and how you worded your response sounded like you were claiming water damage from use in a pool and other situations should be covered under warranty.