Looking to upgrade. Note 9, or wait for S10+?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Ok folks,

Just fyi, I've never owned a Note. I also haven't owned a Samsung device since using my father's secondhand, international variant S3 i9300. At the time, he'd ordered it off of Amazon unlocked, so he could use both a US and international SIM when he traveled. It was my first Android phone, because I used a Blackberry Torch before it.

I know this is obviously a biased forum and all that, with the usual "It depends on whether or not you use the SPen" answer. I checked out one of Sakitech's videos last night. And while the prospect of that beautiful screen, SPen and the huge battery are definite pulls, even as a light to moderate user, the software is what I question; specifically the duplicate apps and the multiple ways to access certain features.

Wouldn't it behoove Samsung to possibly streamline the software to make things more accessible to users without going through a bunch of menus? Word is that Huawei has done that for Pie-based EMUI 9 for the Mate 20/20Pro, but I have issues with EMUI itself, too.

I know the S10/10+ is Samsung's first flagship release each year and coming with the SD855 7nm process, triple camera and the in display FPS, but other than that, would it be enough of an upgrade to choose it over the Note 9 after each phone gets a price drop next year?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Most people on here don't have the patience to wait. The decision you need to make is how much you are willing to spend. Even if you don't use the S-pen, the Note9 is a great phone for every day use.
Since you brought up price drops, it doesn't sound like you want to spend $1000 on a phone. The S10+ will most likely be in the $1000 range as well. If you look around, many carriers and retailers, including Samsung, are selling the Note9 under $900 right now.
Only you can decide what you want. Don't let others make that decision for you.

madeforatc

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
You should try physically holding a galaxy s phone and note. Just hold it. Cant do the sharper thinner edges of the galaxy s series ever again.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
By the time the S10's ship you may as well wait for Note 10.

I used Note 8 and S8+ and prefer Note. But not knowing what currently you use.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
By the time the S10's ship you may as well wait for Note 10.

I used Note 8 and S8+ and prefer Note. But not knowing what currently you use.

I'd be coming from a Nexus 6P. I did try out an unlocked LG V30, and while I loved the in hand feel, quad DAC and battery life, signal reception on T-Mobile wasn't great. I sold it after only a couple weeks. I considered the S9+, but reports of just average battery life on it scared me off.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
You should try physically holding a galaxy s phone and note. Just hold it. Cant do the sharper thinner edges of the galaxy s series ever again.

I've held my sister's S8+ as well as my dad's Note 8 for extended periods, and I held the S9+ and Note 9 at a local AT&T store that had demo units on display. Although I have smaller hands as a female, the Note 9 just felt more "premium" to me. No phone is worth $1000 to me, but if I was going to shell out the cash, it would definitely be for the Note.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've held my sister's S8+ as well as my dad's Note 8 for extended periods, and I held the S9+ and Note 9 at a local AT&T store that had demo units on display. Although I have smaller hands as a female, the Note 9 just felt more "premium" to me. No phone is worth $1000 to me, but if I was going to shell out the cash, it would definitely be for the Note.
T-mobile had the Note9 for $870. Not sure if that price is still in effect or not. There will always be something better around the the corner. If you need a phone now, it may be a good time to get one.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Most people on here don't have the patience to wait. The decision you need to make is how much you are willing to spend. Even if you don't use the S-pen, the Note9 is a great phone for every day use.
Since you brought up price drops, it doesn't sound like you want to spend $1000 on a phone. The S10+ will most likely be in the $1000 range as well. If you look around, many carriers and retailers, including Samsung, are selling the Note9 under $900 right now.
Only you can decide what you want. Don't let others make that decision for you.

I think it would be dumb to have the s10+ to be around $1000. They already had issues with the s9 line not being that popular and with the Note, there was a high demand for the 512gb, but now you see these deals for the 128gb Note and freebie promotions makes me think the demand as a WHOLE for the Note wasn't as high as expected. I mean combined models 128 and 512. With 128 being in demand less than expected. If they price the s10 Plus high like they did with the Note I would expect them to have deals on it a month or two after launch when sales are not that high.

The Note is a niche device. While I think $1000 on up is too "g** dam* high" in Flossy's terms, it's more justifiable being a niche device rather than the run of the mill s line flagship going for that since the S line doesn't have that niche.

I personally would not pay near $1000 for the S10 Plus being a Note owner. I see no reason any advantage it gives me over the Note. Finger print sensor under the screen. Yippie!!

With the new features of the spen, the Note 9 will still be a better buy than the S10 unless S10 has 10gb ram.

I will NOT be upgrading to the s10.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
T-mobile had the Note9 for $870. Not sure if that price is still in effect or not. There will always be something better around the the corner. If you need a phone now, it may be a good time to get one.

That again is why I don't think the Note as a whole is selling super hot right now. The 512 is but combined units as a whole. The s10 will have a price drop likely too with deals and sales just like the Note 9 I would think. If you want an s10 I would wait a month after launch and get a better deal. Especially if you have a Note 9 which is still pretty new I think you can resist the itch for a couple months and get a better deal. Although I see no reason why one should upgrade from Note 9 to s10. That would be a big downgrade I think.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd be coming from a Nexus 6P. I did try out an unlocked LG V30, and while I loved the in hand feel, quad DAC and battery life, signal reception on T-Mobile wasn't great. I sold it after only a couple weeks. I considered the S9+, but reports of just average battery life on it scared me off.

I still have my old Nexus 6p. I currently have a Note 9. Any smartphone released in 2018 will have better battery life than the Nexus 6p.

Probably the logical progression from the Nexus 6p is to Google's Pixel line.

I have mostly had Samsung Note devices until the unfortunate series of events with the Note 7 which is how I ended up with a Nexus 6p.

Good luck with your decision, any phone you get will be an upgrade from the Nexus 6p.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I still have my old Nexus 6p. I currently have a Note 9. Any smartphone released in 2018 will have better battery life than the Nexus 6p.

Probably the logical progression from the Nexus 6p is to Google's Pixel line.

I have mostly had Samsung Note devices until the unfortunate series of events with the Note 7 which is how I ended up with a Nexus 6p.

Good luck with your decision, any phone you get will be an upgrade from the Nexus 6p.

Thanks. I've pretty much decided that "The Stock Experiment" is over for me. While I will say that my 6P still runs well, I just find stock Android to be painfully boring. There's literally nothing to it. I tried the LG V30 as a sort of "happy medium" between Samsung and stock, but LG's UI seems like a half assed version of Samsung's. The theme options were terrible, and it was just overall aesthetically ugly. I loved the quad DAC as a music lover, and the battery life was great, but signal reception was not good. So now I'm back to giving Samsung a try.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be dumb to have the s10+ to be around $1000. They already had issues with the s9 line not being that popular and with the Note, there was a high demand for the 512gb, but now you see these deals for the 128gb Note and freebie promotions makes me think the demand as a WHOLE for the Note wasn't as high as expected. I mean combined models 128 and 512. With 128 being in demand less than expected. If they price the s10 Plus high like they did with the Note I would expect them to have deals on it a month or two after launch when sales are not that high.

The Note is a niche device. While I think $1000 on up is too "g** dam* high" in Flossy's terms, it's more justifiable being a niche device rather than the run of the mill s line flagship going for that since the S line doesn't have that niche.

I personally would not pay near $1000 for the S10 Plus being a Note owner. I see no reason any advantage it gives me over the Note. Finger print sensor under the screen. Yippie!!

With the new features of the spen, the Note 9 will still be a better buy than the S10 unless S10 has 10gb ram.

I will NOT be upgrading to the s10.

Just because Samsung keeps offering deals doesn't mean they aren't selling. Also, it's become painfully obvious that they prefer profit over overall units sold.
Regarding the price...the Pixel 3XL is going for $1000. You don't think the S10+ will not be $1000 as well? Their midrange device just announced is between $700-800 if I'm not mistaken.
The RAM issue is over played. Once they get the faster RAM, people won't be crying for anything over 8gb.
Oh, and you WILL be getting the S10+. Can you we just stop the nonsense?

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Just because Samsung keeps offering deals doesn't mean they aren't selling. Also, it's become painfully obvious that they prefer profit over overall units sold.
Regarding the price...the Pixel 3XL is going for $1000. You don't think the S10+ will not be $1000 as well? Their midrange device just announced is between $700-800 if I'm not mistaken.
The RAM issue is over played. Once they get the faster RAM, people won't be crying for anything over 8gb.

Yeah I agree... based on the current trends, the s10 will definitely without a doubt be at least $1000.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

The problem with that is competition. Eventually if they sell fewer units even if there is profit, eventually companies like Huawei and OnePlus could then really get their foot in the door more and give Samsung a serious run and hurt them.

Look at what happened to Blackberry. They made high end units and eventually the competition got to them. if samsung has another Note 7 debacle (thankfully nothing came with the Note 9 that caught fire) Samsung as a big player in the US mobile phone market is toast I think.

I hardly ever see anyone with the mid range units like the A or J series. At my cell phone accessories business at the flea market I never see an A series phone. I'll get a few J series phones especially with the older crowded but I see many more S7, S8,S9, and Note 9 and iphones, lots more.

Not a lot of people I see have the low and midrange phones because the carriers pimp the s*** out of the upper end phones to the customers. You do see more people holding onto the s7 and s8 though than going to buy the mid and lower range phones.

That is what I see at my business and when I'm out and about.

If Huawei got big in the US market, heck yes I'd try out their high end phone like the Porsche Edition.

Personally I'd ditch the A line and have the J series and S series.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

From the reports though the S9 did NOT sell as well as expected. Of course the S8 Plus sold well last year because it filled the void for the Note 7. I was one of those people. However, many did not upgrade to the s9 Plus who already had the S8 Plus.

And NO I won't buy the S10 Plus. I didn't buy the s9 Plus when it came out. I had the Note 8 and was waiting for Note 9 and glad I did.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note

Cleaned up some posts. This is the Note 9 section so let's stick to that. If you want to discuss politics head over to that section of the forum.