WiFi Calling not available

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Might be based on carrier. I'm scrapping with Rogers here because I had to get an insurance replacement for my S9. Now they claim it isn't a Rogers device so they won't allow wifi calling on it. I tried to fix it twice now. The first time the phone the insurance carrier sent was obviously unlocked. I did a dance of joy but then realized that the wifi option wasnt even on it. Insurance was good enough to swap again to a Roger's phone but Roger's still won't allow the device on. Crazy. The law states we need to have unlocked as an option but they play games to cripple phones not purchased through them.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
True on Verizon. No option for WiFi calling... but the modem is excellent.

Verizon sent me a network extender for the poor signal here, but my Note 9 has been working great making and receiving calls without it.

R

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Have unlocked on ATT. no wifi calling available. ATT keeps that reserved to the ATT branded phones. Suckers.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile supports all features with the unlocked Note9, including WiFi calling. Other carriers may not. You have to look it up on your carrier's website.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You can always download and install whatever carriers firmware that you want to use onto the phone and that will enable those calling features that you want.

As an example, I have the AT&T Note 9. AT&T unlocked the phone for me this morning and I inserted my T-Mobile sim card into the phone. The only problem is that since it's an AT&T phone with the AT&T firmware installed, WiFi calling will not work. I simply flashed the unlocked models firmware unto my AT&T phone and now WiFi calling works. It's very simple to do and you need a Windows PC to do the firmware flashing.

I could also have installed the T-Mobile firmware onto this phone but I chose not to because I don't want the T-Mobile bloat on my phone now that it is unlocked.

So again, you simply install the Verizon firmware onto that phone and you will then be able to use WiFi calling.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
You can always download and install whatever carriers firmware that you want to use onto the phone and that will enable those calling features that you want.

As an example, I have the AT&T Note 9. AT&T unlocked the phone for me this morning and I inserted my T-Mobile sim card into the phone. The only problem is that since it's an AT&T phone with the AT&T firmware installed, WiFi calling will not work. I simply flashed the unlocked models firmware unto my AT&T phone and now WiFi calling works. It's very simple to do and you need a Windows PC to do the firmware flashing.

I could also have installed the T-Mobile firmware onto this phone but I chose not to because I don't want the T-Mobile bloat on my phone now that it is unlocked.

So again, you simply install the Verizon firmware onto that phone and you will then be able to use WiFi calling.

Where can you get the firmware to download?

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a bunch guys/gals. Really need that WIFI calling. I guess I'll be getting Carrier branding instead of unlocked.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Where can you get the firmware to download?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/how-to

In that forum, there are two threads. One has all the carrier firmware versions and another has just the unlocked firmware. You need to also download the Odin application that is posted in the unlocked thread to be able to flash the firmware onto the phone.

If you've never done this before, it's pretty easy but you should learn how to run the Odin app and how to load the 4-5 parts of the firmware that download in the zip file. The phone also has to be restarted in download mode.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Might be based on carrier. I'm scrapping with Rogers here because I had to get an insurance replacement for my S9. Now they claim it isn't a Rogers device so they won't allow wifi calling on it. I tried to fix it twice now. The first time the phone the insurance carrier sent was obviously unlocked. I did a dance of joy but then realized that the wifi option wasnt even on it. Insurance was good enough to swap again to a Roger's phone but Roger's still won't allow the device on. Crazy. The law states we need to have unlocked as an option but they play games to cripple phones not purchased through them.

I bought note 9 from Samsung store. So that is unlocked. I have Rogers sim and just activated wifi calling, even though not using it much. You open the phone dialer, goto settings, scroll to the bottom.

Attachments

• 5830.jpg
    5830.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 109

wire1141

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Have unlocked on ATT. no wifi calling available. ATT keeps that reserved to the ATT branded phones. Suckers.

I called tech support and told them I had calls dropping from my house and work and they turned on a "socket" so I would have wifi calling.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I called tech support and told them I had calls dropping from my house and work and they turned on a "socket" so I would have wifi calling.
ATT? so after you did that, where you able to go to setting and enable wifi calling from your phone?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Hmm. There still has to be a way I imagine to enable wifi calling.

When I had the V20 unlocked on tmobile for some reason it didn't have wifi calling visible on the unlocked version so I downloaded one of those apps that lets you search your phone and I uncovered wifi calling.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Good to know. Thanks for that info. I will definitely will reach out to my buddy that got the unlocked.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site

See my post above. I am unlocked, Rogers, wifi calling active

k1200s29

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm on Bell and they say no wifi calling available yet for the Note 9 even though I have it on the S9+. Doesn't sound right to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay