Sales for Note 9 less than expected

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the same thing can be said about any phone being sold today. Most people simply don't feel the need to upgrade their phone every year because the changes made these days are so small.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
S8/S9 and Note 8 are still excellent phones, so no real "need" to get the Note 9. The s10 may represent the first major update to the S series. So I'd expect the s10 to do quite well.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I got the wife a Note 9 128.
It's a big upgrade from the Note 5.
We've never been the types to upgrade with each successive iteration.
My current daily driver is a Pixel 2 XL that I've had only a month.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The Note is and always was a niche market. People see the S pen and think, "I won't use that" without looking at the rest of the phone. Even if i didn't use the S pen i would have still gotten the Note 9 for the rest of the features and specs.

DJ Koh did hint about reconsidering the Note line depending on the success of the Note 9. Good grief, if the huge RAM, storage, battery and Bluetooth S pen couldn't sell (so far) as much as even the lesser Note 8, I honestly don't think the Note line will continue.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Note is and always was a niche market. People see the S pen and think, "I won't use that" without looking at the rest of the phone. Even if i didn't use the S pen i would have still gotten the Note 9 for the rest of the features and specs.

DJ Koh did hint about reconsidering the Note line depending on the success of the Note 9. Good grief, if the huge RAM, storage, battery and Bluetooth S pen couldn't sell (so far) as much as even the lesser Note 8, I honestly don't think the Note line will continue.

Yea that sucks.

Here is my question though. IF the Note doesn't continue do they slap the spen in the larger galaxy model or do they just nix the spen all together. I would hate that. I guess I'll be buying the s10 plus then if no Note. Also if that's the case will the S10 Plus have the spen if they nix the Note or will they wait until the S11 since the s10 with spend will be so close in release date to the Note 9.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea that sucks.

Here is my question though. IF the Note doesn't continue do they slap the spen in the larger galaxy model or do they just nix the spen all together. I would hate that. I guess I'll be buying the s10 plus then if no Note. Also if that's the case will the S10 Plus have the spen if they nix the Note or will they wait until the S11 since the s10 with spend will be so close in release date to the Note 9.
They will definitely scrap the spen if there's no more note edition. Honestly with the s+ series it's hard for people to justify purchasing the note series 6 months later. I hope Samsung continues the note series as to me it brings prestige and usually gives an experience I haven't had with other phones even without the stylus.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Most people just done need the functionality that note 9 offers and its huuuuge, happy with my s9 plus

I like the squareness of the Note devices compared to the S line.

I would HATE HATE if the spen goes away. I prefer the Note line. I don't want an s10 I want the Note 10. For example if the Note does go away I hope Huawei comes out with something like the Note that is top notch. I would jump ship in a hurry to an unlocked Huawei since it will work with wifi calling and such on tmobile. LG has the POS Stylo. If them two companies came out with a top notch device with a pen I would go for it.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
agreed that's what sets the phone apart from others is the spen and its functionality. not to mention I'm slightly shocked sales havent been a little better considering the cost of the xs max. I know that some people have converted from iOS to android based on this alone.

caveman84

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Idk, every chinese national that is on the us soil at any given moment is buying up all the iphones, its a brand and a status thing which note 9 doesnt have. Sad but true

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Is Samsung just saying if Apple can do it, why can't we. Is it just simply greed?

I'm sure you read it many times, no phone is worth $1,000.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just remember too the Galaxy F (foldable) is coming soon. The Note line is the premium line over and above the S series. A new premium line, a foldable device, is considerably more advanced and a HUGE differentiator over the S series. A much bigger difference than the current Note and S series.

I think having an S series, Note and F series is all a bit too much. Too many premium series, too much R&D to sustain and continue. And too much choice on the eyes of the buying public.

To be honest, if I was DJ Koh, I'd probably concentrate on the S series and new F series, once it comes into production. As much as i love the Note series.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They will definitely scrap the spen if there's no more note edition. Honestly with the s+ series it's hard for people to justify purchasing the note series 6 months later. I hope Samsung continues the note series as to me it brings prestige and usually gives an experience I haven't had with other phones even without the stylus.

Was at a best Buy store today & people were cross shopping the iphone max & the Note 9 while completely ignoring the S9+. In monthly payment terms, there is only $3 a month difference & both are obviously much less expensive than anything Apple.

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
To me it has always made sense that a "F" or "foldable series" phone would dovetail nicely with the Note line. Actually that would be an excellent way to "relaunch" the Note brand, with an obnoxiously powerful folding device with Pen functionality. Note 10 would be a perfect platform for that. I'm sure the digitizer on a Note isn't going to be available for early iterations of the folding display, unfortunately, but that's the direction I'd be heading.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Most people simply don't feel the need to upgrade their phone every year because the changes made these days are so small.

My thoughts exactly. There are many people who buy a phone and plan on holding on to it for 2 -3 years.

Last edited:

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
To me it has always made sense that a "F" or "foldable series" phone would dovetail nicely with the Note line. Actually that would be an excellent way to "relaunch" the Note brand, with an obnoxiously powerful folding device with Pen functionality. Note 10 would be a perfect platform for that. I'm sure the digitizer on a Note isn't going to be available for early iterations of the folding display, unfortunately, but that's the direction I'd be heading.
I agree and I would be willing to pay nicely for a truly foldable phone that could fold between a nice size phone and tablet. That is the ultimate tech dream .

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Is Samsung just saying if Apple can do it, why can't we. Is it just simply greed?

I'm sure you read it many times, no phone is worth $1,000.
Seeing that when the note 8 came out and no base iPhone at the moment was in the 1K range I'd say no and given that the note 9 released with twice the memory and less than 100 dollar increase Samsung did a good job with pricing. Now let's talk about someone that probably believes they can get as much as apple or Samsung for their phones and that's lg. The new v40 is ridiculously price to say the base is only 64 gigs. Would never be price that high if flagships weren't hitting the 1K range.

Another thing I believe Samsung kind of sets the pricing for flagship devices. It wasn't until they released the s8 with 64 gigs and slightly raised the price of their usual pricing that apple did the same with the iPhone 8. Samsung is apple's main competition whether they sale less flagships or not. It's no coincidence that they're starting to offer bigger screened models every year and more than one device annually.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Was at a best Buy store today & people were cross shopping the iphone max & the Note 9 while completely ignoring the S9+. In monthly payment terms, there is only $3 a month difference & both are obviously much less expensive than anything Apple.
Kind of Samsungs fault here. People tend to be interested in the s+ models until the note comes out and vice versus unless there's a big price gap. I wonder if it would make more financial sense to release the s series with the note and have no plus model, but Samsung likes to stay buzzing in the media with their next new development.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante