Sales for Note 9 less than expected

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Well maybe in your business world/group of friends but not in mine most definitely. Me and my group of friends all switched from iPhones to androids and I have seen at least ten note 9s in public as of today.

Fyi, my boss at work drives a lambo and is using an s9+. Don't generalise that's what I'm saying.

You need to learn how to read. I never generalized YOUR QUOTE. You generalized... mine! I simply made a statement.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
And sorry to disappoint I'm an android user but I'm neither cost conscious or utilitarian conscious so that just proves your theory wrong. In fact I took off my phone cover for my iPhone so it would spoil more quickly so I could justify changing my phone.

You're on this forum... read my post!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I never said that most android users are broke. They are cost conscious and utilitarian conscious! I'm in the business world, have been for many years with the same cell number 24 years! I see very few androids among my business associates and friends. Very few indeed. And what I do see are two to three year old androids. To this day, I have not seen a single Note 9 among anyone. ZERO. And a few 8's. However, I see MANY new apples and this past year's model. That's what I based my statement on... not what I witness on this forum. Real everyday life of real people. Status is bought via apple and not android... except for the android forums.

I sell cell and tech accessories at a kiosk I own at the flea market. So far I've had more people with the Note 9 come up looking for stuff compared to the Xs, Xs Max or even the X. See a lot of Note 8s too.

I couldn't give two sh*** if someone else has a newer phone. I don't need a status symbol phone lol. The Note 9 performs the stuff quite well for me.

jamesphx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread. I for one enjoy the phone for what it is. No phone is perfect, but the Note 9 ticks off most of the boxes on my checklist. I'm also a fan of iPhones as well and have just recently got in on that deal for the Xr. Again, I like that phone for what it is. They both have their conveniences and annoyances, but at the end of the day, I enjoy using both. I hope they don't do away with the Note series as has been rumored and just as bad, remove the headphone jack next year. I enjoy playing around with these new shinies when they come out, and it seems you all on these forums do too. So do just that, enjoy using the phone. Who cares about phones as status symbols, they're only tools to get the job done. I just happen to enjoy the higher-spec'd ones so that I'm not compromising too much on performance and/or minimizing stutter.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 9 is a great phone for those moving from a two to three year old phone. However, most android users are not like Apple users... aside from forums like this one, android folks are not status seekers like Apple fan folks. Spending $1000 to 1300 on an android device is not something easily done for android folks, status wise of course... but for Apple folks, they are usually status seekers and they'll spend the bucks to look good. If you're an android person, the Note 8 and 9 are great phones. For folks like me with the 8, there's absolutely no reason to move to the 9. The 9 is an expensive phone for the average android user.
So are you saying those that have moved from the 8 to the 9 did it for status? I still have my 8, but having used both I think that that the 9 is a worthy upgrade even for note 8 users. The battery, camera, speakers, memory and pen features are noticeable on the 9.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe in your business world/group of friends but not in mine most definitely. Me and my group of friends all switched from iPhones to androids and I have seen at least ten note 9s in public as of today.

Fyi, my boss at work drives a lambo and is using an s9+. Don't generalise that's what I'm saying.
Has every bit to do with social circle. That's a major reason iPhones sell because people have bought into the notion that they can communicate better via facetime and iMessage. Guess it's no surprise that my closest circle all have note 9's lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Has every bit to do with social circle. That's a major reason iPhones sell because people have bought into the notion that they can communicate better via facetime and iMessage. Guess it's no surprise that my closest circle all have note 9's lol.

Well they can if they all have iPhones and send things like videos often. It is quick and easy just like a text and won't be crap quality due to the carriers staying on old MMS.

They all have their plus and minuses.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the Note 9 is a great phone for those moving from a two to three year old phone. However, most android users are not like Apple users... aside from forums like this one, android folks are not status seekers like Apple fan folks. Spending $1000 to 1300 on an android device is not something easily done for android folks, status wise of course... but for Apple folks, they are usually status seekers and they'll spend the bucks to look good. If you're an android person, the Note 8 and 9 are great phones. For folks like me with the 8, there's absolutely no reason to move to the 9. The 9 is an expensive phone for the average android user.

The iPhone stopped being a status symbol once anyone could buy the phone on a payment plan. Now it's just another phone that may cost about $8 more per month over the Note 9. For most people, $8 extra per month is nothing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone stopped being a status symbol once anyone could buy the phone on a payment plan. Now it's just another phone that may cost about $8 more per month over the Note 9. For most people, $8 extra per month is nothing.

Agreed.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't think many would buy the note 9 just for status... And that's quite the stereotype as how do you know what the average android owner can or will afford? Why do you make it seem like only broke people use android.

I was a long time iPhone user and I switched to the note 9 but I didn't see my iPhone as a status symbol as everyone around me had one as well...
The iPhone IS a status symbol. The Note9 isn't immediately recognized by folks ooing and ahing like they do for the newest iPhone in the newest color.

I'm not commenting about it being a better phone or a worse phone but to the general public there can be no doubt it is a cooler phone. Keep in mind all the general public care about is their imessage, facebook & social apps, games, phone calls and emails.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone IS a status symbol. The Note9 isn't immediately recognized by folks ooing and ahing like they do for the newest iPhone in the newest color.

I'm not commenting about it being a better phone or a worse phone but to the general public there can be no doubt it is a cooler phone. Keep in mind all the general public care about is their imessage, facebook & social apps, games, phone calls and emails.

Except the iToy doesn't do nearly as much stuff as the Note 9 and has less features like no expandable memory. Having a current iphone is like having an s6.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

Sadly I have to agree with you on this

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Interesting thread deviation. Let me put my experience in this way. Amongst young people, iPhone is the "in" phone to have, the one you have to be cool and trendy and to be seen as keeping up.
Amongst adults, it's considered "the" phone to have, not about status but about the general perception of "the" premium phone.

Put it this way. When you want to search something online, the standard "Google it" comes up. It's just the standard, a perception amongst the mainstream community. Even though of course there are more reputable ways of looking things up.

Amongst young people, iPhone is the iconic phone and definitely a status symbol. Amongst older people, it's just seen as the premium phone to have. Just general perceptions.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Interesting thread deviation. Let me put my experience in this way. Amongst young people, iPhone is the "in" phone to have, the one you have to be cool and trendy and to be seen as keeping up.
Amongst adults, it's considered "the" phone to have, not about status but about the general perception of "the" premium phone.

Put it this way. When you want to search something online, the standard "Google it" comes up. It's just the standard, a perception amongst the mainstream community. Even though of course there are more reputable ways of looking things up.

Amongst young people, iPhone is the iconic phone and definitely a status symbol. Amongst older people, it's just seen as the premium phone to have. Just general perceptions.

My sentiments exactly. I'm young too but having a phone just as a status symbol doesn't mean that much to me. Other things act as a status symbol as well.

I realised there are many who also believe that whatever apple puts out is "the best" and these people normally are uninformed of what the rest of the competition have to offer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781