berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
FrpM27h.jpg

Installing now.

SGDailey1

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Please let me know if this helps the camera. I'm going to return If not. I have not recieved this update yet. Got my phone less than 2 weeks ago.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Please let me know if this helps the camera. I'm going to return If not. I have not recieved this update yet. Got my phone less than 2 weeks ago.

I want to know this as well. I am on the fence about the Note 9 and Pixel 3 XL. I will gladly wait as Black Friday is right around the corner. I wish a youtuber would do a solid comparison of the Note 9 camera pre and post update.

SGDailey1

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I want to know this as well. I am on the fence about the Note 9 and Pixel 3 XL. I will gladly wait as Black Friday is right around the corner. I wish a youtuber would do a solid comparison of the Note 9 camera pre and post update.

Right? I watched so many videos before I got this phone. No ones talking about this issue that I have seen. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger yet if I had just seen this forum first. Very disappointed. Hoping this update fixes it because I love everything else about this phone.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I wish there were better comparisons too. Unfortunately I don't really know what to test, I never really had an issue from the beginning. My lowlight photos were always fine as long as I wait for the second or so delay from when I hit the shutter.

al3azim

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Waiting for this update. Hoping a big difference with HDR as this is clearly a software issue, not a hardware issue as I have the Google Gcam mod installed on my Note 9 (very buggy though), but the HDR+ works and is a pretty big difference from the stock cam for a lot of pictures, especially with the smoothing issue.

Case in point, first picture of my dog is with the stock camera, 2nd is a picture with the Gcam mod with HDR+ on. No filters or anything on either, just auto. I cropped both the same so you can see more closely. You can see the stock camera makes his fur look cartoonish vs the Gcam:

20181029_131608 (2).jpg IMG_20181029_131531 (2).jpg20181029_131608 (2).jpgIMG_20181029_131531 (2).jpg

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for this update. Hoping a big difference with HDR as this is clearly a software issue, not a hardware issue as I have the Google Gcam mod installed on my Note 9 (very buggy though), but the HDR+ works and is a pretty big difference from the stock cam for a lot of pictures, especially with the smoothing issue.

Case in point, first picture of my dog is with the stock camera, 2nd is a picture with the Gcam mod with HDR+ on. No filters or anything on either, just auto. I cropped both the same so you can see more closely. You can see the stock camera makes his fur look cartoonish vs the Gcam:

View attachment 293185 View attachment 293186

This isnt a note 9 camera issue... This is a user error issue... At the very least, its not indicative of the failure of the note 9 camera... Please dont think I'm saying the gcam isnt an improvement, it is... I'm just saying these example's differences isnt fair...

The composition is different... The dog is a larger part of the frame in thr 2nd photo... When it comes to auto metering, this is a factor... I'm betting you could take that approximate same 2nd photo with the note 9...

You said hdr was on for the 2nd, was hdr on for the first? Was it manually turned on? Or was hdr set to auto??

I'm only combatting this post because others with not so much experience will see it and come to misled conclusions

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I confused the order of the photos but my points still stick...

Also, this scene is not beyond the dynamic range where the hdr should be used anyways

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This isnt a note 9 camera issue... This is a user error issue... At the very least, its not indicative of the failure of the note 9 camera... Please dont think I'm saying the gcam isnt an improvement, it is... I'm just saying these example's differences isnt fair...

The composition is different... The dog is a larger part of the frame in thr 2nd photo... When it comes to auto metering, this is a factor... I'm betting you could take that approximate same 2nd photo with the note 9...

You said hdr was on for the 2nd, was hdr on for the first? Was it manually turned on? Or was hdr set to auto??

I'm only combatting this post because others with not so much experience will see it and come to misled conclusions

The original pics were taken at the same distance, both with HDR on with both camera apps, and what I posted here was just a quick crop I did on my laptop - not perfect, but enough just to show the difference and make my point.

This smoothing is a common issue, even with pics of people too. I hope the update addresses all of this as it's been frustrating to not get good pics as often as it should with a camera this good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2