How should I get the most out of my phone? Should I make a Samsung Acct?

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just got the 512 gb phone and while setting it up, I was wondering if I should use the Samsung services. I really don't care for bloatware, but I noticed that you Samsung has a cloud, and I also heard that you could remote wipe it though I have no idea how to do that.

So should I make a samsung acct and use their services, or is it just bloatware? Also, I have my data backed up with google too and I honestly don't know what the difference between backing up my data with google and backing it up with Samsung.

PS. I just found out that google has a location tracking service too, is there a difference? Which is better?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Google location will drain your battery quicker than any app. You will need a Samsung account to download themes, wallpapers, icons, always on displays, etc...

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just got the 512 gb phone and while setting it up, I was wondering if I should use the Samsung services. I really don't care for bloatware, but I noticed that you Samsung has a cloud, and I also heard that you could remote wipe it though I have no idea how to do that.

So should I make a samsung acct and use their services, or is it just bloatware? Also, I have my data backed up with google too and I honestly don't know what the difference between backing up my data with google and backing it up with Samsung.

PS. I just found out that google has a location tracking service too, is there a difference? Which is better?

Welcome to the Samsung/Google conundrum.

I, at one point, wondered the same thing. I have found that there are some things that Samsung apps does better than Google apps and vice versa. For example, I use Samsung Pay 100% of the time. I also find Samsung Internet browser is much better than Google's Chrome. Back ups are more thorough with Samsung also but I also backup using Google too. Samsung account made the switch from the Note 8 to the Note 9 very easy for me. It was almost Apple easy... lol. You'll need a Samsung account to fully use the features in apps and services mentioned above.

Anyway, again welcome and congrats. You'll probably be better served to try out every feature of the Samsung and Google ecosystem and choose those apps and services that are best for your usage and expections. You got an awesome phone with some powerful features.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Make a Samsung Cloud if only for the backup. It backups even your SMS and call logs, which Google does not.
There's no reason not to want to have backups anyway.

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I get rid of anything google I can on initial set up of my samsung phone. It's bloatware.

I use Samsung native apps for everything and they suit me and work well.

I find Samsung cloud and Samsung backup very useful and make a point of using them regularly.

Also, Samsung has an education store, and you will be eligible if you have a uni or other educational institution email, country dependant.

You can access that ed store via the phone Samsung members app, or via the Samsung website.

The advantage to signing up to the ed store are the excellent discounts you get on the majority of Samsung products, not just phones.

Attachments

• 6630.jpg
    6630.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 45

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar