Note 9 vs pixel 3 xl

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone I currently have a note 8 and am considering these two phones and am stuck figuring out which to get. I've been stalking the forums reading everything. I also have been trying to watch any battery life threads to see how generally what people are getting, I'm hoping to at least get 6 hours from a phone, currently I'm getting between 3 1/2-4 1/2 hrs usually. I tried both of them out twice and since they're always on separate sides of the store I can't compare the cameras easily (different lighting , different objects laying around to snap pictures of). I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the pixel part of the forums so hopefully here is alright. I use my spen for "smart select" occasionally and I use YouTube's little picture in picture mode just fyi.
What are your thoughts and experiences?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Too much hype with Huawei devices. Their UI and software still has some ways to go. You'll get more for your money buying the Note 9 over the Pixel. The Pixel is great device but what it ultimately comes down to is your needs and preferences.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I had the pixel 2 XL, the camera is better than the Note9 which is no slouch in itself. but the note 9 has the expandable storage, more memory as standard, more ram. it's all round a better phone. just wish the camera could be as good.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I would imagine the pixel XL has the better camera and will get better updates...

But, both get 3 years of updates, the XL has that vile notch, the note has the spen and imo a better more productive os.

Personally I would go with the note.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone I currently have a note 8 and am considering these two phones and am stuck figuring out which to get. I've been stalking the forums reading everything. I also have been trying to watch any battery life threads to see how generally what people are getting, I'm hoping to at least get 6 hours from a phone, currently I'm getting between 3 1/2-4 1/2 hrs usually. I tried both of them out twice and since they're always on separate sides of the store I can't compare the cameras easily (different lighting , different objects laying around to snap pictures of). I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the pixel part of the forums so hopefully here is alright. I use my spen for "smart select" occasionally and I use YouTube's little picture in picture mode just fyi.
What are your thoughts and experiences?

On my note I average between 8 or 9 hrs SOT over a day battery , I haven't had any issues with pictures on mine and the Bluetooth s pen is a must have feature for me. On the pixel 3xl I average between 5.5 to 7 hrs SOT over a day battery . The pix 3xl camera is very good . It's nice clean Android experience if you like that .

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I never pay attention to SOT, as long as it last me all day I'm good.

Price and design is all I look for these days. Technology has improved so much Performance & Specs are meaningless. All bragging rights.

I will give you an example. I have the Apple iPhone XS 64GB, Huawei P20 Pro Twilight and Blue SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 9 128GB...

I bought my Mother the SAMSUNG Galaxy A8 for her birthday and set it up, more like played with it for a few hours. LOL

I could not tell the difference to the point if I didn't care for the bells and whistles, I could've easily saved myself at least $700. Clearly I do hence why I have all three.

The price difference 3 and 9 is $40 CAN but I did not nor are willing to pay $1,299 SAMSUNG is asking for. I got $205 off with the trade-in and free SAMSUNG IconX buds which retails for $299.

Ask yourself is Stock Android worth $200, $300, $400?

The camera, don't get me started with this nonsense. Majority I'm sure is like my friend who wants the "best" camera for Instagram, Snapchat. LOL

You know my pick.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Thank for the responses. I drive for two ride sharing companies so that's half the reason I care about SOT, because I don't want to leave my phone on charge all the time and kill the battery faster as I'm usually in the vehicle 6-8 hours daily so my phone is turned on the whole time. Anyone have any moderate to heavy usage SOT times for the pixel 3 XL?

Mainly my pictures are family and my child so I'm hoping the note isn't getting beat by the pixel badly, I just don't want to make the wrong decision since I'm doing the financing through Verizon. I know I'll miss certain aspects of the pen but I don't take actual notes with it, just the smart selection than screen writing.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Also does the pixel have a "my gallery" or is the pixel version only Google photos? I enjoy being able to make a quick album of pictures and than show my phone to someone and they can scroll through that without searching my other personal pictures that aren't of a certain day/event.

Does anyone know if the gear s3 frontier is still usable with the pixel or does it become unable to do much since you don't have s-health?

Last edited:

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm biased, but I would say Note 9. SOT is about 6-7 hours, Pixel 3 is about the same. The Pixel camera is a bit better, but the Note 9 camera is no joke either. The Note 9 might be more useful with your lifestyle.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site

Price and design is all I look for these days. Technology has improved so much Performance & Specs are meaningless. All bragging rights.

I will give you an example. I have the Apple iPhone XS 64GB, Huawei P20 Pro Twilight and Blue SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 9 128GB...

I bought my Mother the SAMSUNG Galaxy A8 for her birthday and set it up, more like played with it for a few hours. LOL

I could not tell the difference to the point if I didn't care for the bells and whistles, I could've easily saved myself at least $700. Clearly I do hence why I have all three.

The price difference 3 and 9 is $40 CAN but I did not nor are willing to pay $1,299 SAMSUNG is asking for. I got $205 off with the trade-in and free SAMSUNG IconX buds which retails for $299.

The camera, don't get me started with this nonsense. Majority I'm sure is like my friend who wants the "best" camera for Instagram, Snapchat. LOL

You know my pick.

Is your note 9 screen fragile , I just got my note 8 screen replaced Saturday and my screen already has a hairline crack and I never dropped it face first (it has hit the back while inside of a otterbox symmetry) . I've never had a phone screen this soft/fragile.

I've had two crack in my pocket. This is the first phone that's ever cracked on me and having to replace the screen 3 times has made me question the 9's screen... specifically if I'm going to need to go the route of a screen protector and how I worry about curved edges.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

You know my pick.

Samsung is like iPhone in that regard. All devices that are within one generation of one another practically has the same software experience give or take a few features. On everyday usage, the differences are not apparent, and they should be good enough for most people. The differences only appear when you want to play really high end games or some apps may not have the less known device in their manifest causing some false incompatibilities. But if the person isn't that much of a phone geek, there should really be no difference in daily usage.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Is your note 9 screen fragile , I just got my note 8 screen replaced Saturday and my screen already has a hairline crack and I never dropped it face first (it has hit the back while inside of a otterbox symmetry) . I've never had a phone screen this soft/fragile.

I've had two crack in my pocket. This is the first phone that's ever cracked on me and having to replace the screen 3 times has made me question the 9's screen... specifically if I'm going to need to go the route of a screen protector and how I worry about curved edges.

No issues with mine whatsoever and I'm quite hard on my phones I broke my iPhone 6's screen and note 1 screen

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Also does the pixel have a "my gallery" or is the pixel version only Google photos?

Does anyone know if the gear s3 frontier is still usable with the pixel or does it become unable to do much since you don't have s-health?

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am also in the car at least 4 hours a day with my Note 8 plugged into the charger all the time. A year later my battery is still fine.
Charge away your phone when at 100% will run off the charger and not the battery.

Zealex

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I was on the fence for both but ultimately went with the note 9 due to the headphone jack which was very important for me. The expandable SD storage was nice as well.

Only thing the pixel 3 has that makes me wish I had was it's camera. Otherwise, I was a bit disappointed with its release.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Definately Note. Pixel is garbage other than the camera software.

Curious why you say it's garbage beyond the camera? Any input helps the decision. Randomly played with my niece's
iPhone xs and the camera was pretty clear. With a new baby I've already used my camera more than I ever did pre baby, I was slightly jealous when I took the same pic on my camera and wondered will the note 9 impress me the same.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Curious why you say it's garbage beyond the camera? Any input helps the decision. Randomly played with my niece's
iPhone xs and the camera was pretty clear. With a new baby I've already used my camera more than I ever did pre baby, I was slightly jealous when I took the same pic on my camera and wondered will the note 9 impress me the same.
IMHO the Pixel being in the same price range as the Note 9 lacks because smaller screen and even smaller if you hide that hideous notch, aesthetically horrible, sick Android is very boring and new updates are buggy, no headphone jack. The Note has headphone jack, telephoto camera, S-pen, more RAM, DEX, Liquid cooled for performance during gaming and DEX use. There is so much more for the same money with Samsung.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
IMHO the Pixel being in the same price range as the Note 9 lacks because smaller screen and even smaller if you hide that hideous notch, aesthetically horrible, sick Android is very boring and new updates are buggy, no headphone jack. The Note has headphone jack, telephoto camera, S-pen, more RAM, DEX, Liquid cooled for performance during gaming and DEX use. There is so much more for the same money with Samsung.

Thank you for the input , do you feel like the note 9 camera is noticeably better than the note 8? Do you notice inside lighting I'll call it "average" light pictures, being better as well?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay