Burn in

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any burn in on their screens. I noticed tonight that I have several burned in images right in the middle of my screen.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I got it on release day. It's really weird because a pattern and nothing matches the pattern. I will contact Samsung in the morning about a replacement.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Update. I contacted Samsung support and at first all they wanted to do is replace the screen. I wasn't happy with that option so option 2 is a refurbished phone. What are some of yalls recommendations?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I’d get the screen replaced.people posted good experiences with taking their phones to ubreakifix for warranty screen replacements. I don’t like refurbs personally.

Update. I contacted Samsung support and at first all they wanted to do is replace the screen. I wasn't happy with that option so option 2 is a refurbished phone. What are some of yalls recommendations?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Update. I contacted Samsung support and at first all they wanted to do is replace the screen. I wasn't happy with that option so option 2 is a refurbished phone. What are some of yall[']s recommendations?
A refurbished phone might already have had its screen replaced. Plus it can have minor scratches. And you may not be able to choose the color.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I’d get the screen replaced.people posted good experiences with taking their phones to ubreakifix for warranty screen replacements. I don’t like refurbs personally.
Ditto. Or as I like to call it, refurbish roulette. You never know what you'll get back. If you can get the screen replaced (especially if done locally), that's the route I'd take.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll try to take some pics when I get home and have access to a second phone. I've had bad luck in the past with screen replacements, they worked for a week or so then the whole phone died.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to add a vote for UBreakIFix. I had my Note 8 replaced by VZW the 1st time it had burn in (abt 5-6 mos after release day). The refurb got it in just 2-3 months. Contacted Samsung and they approved the repair. I kept my N8 after getting the N9, and it's still perfect (screen was replaced in June or July). I waited at UBreakIFix during the repair (1.5 hrs?), didn't wanted to leave it.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
From my experience, refurbs look brand spanking new. I've done plenty of warranty replacements but through AT&T and not Samsung and every single one looked like a brand new device. I typically will go for a replacement rather than a screen repair.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Also, I'm surprised they agreed to replace the screen or device for burn in. Typically that's user error. Use auto brightness or don't crank the brightness so high all the time.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll try to take some pics when I get home and have access to a second phone. I've had bad luck in the past with screen replacements, they worked for a week or so then the whole phone died.

You can take a screenshot, but holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously, when on the screen you want a pic of. Then you can attach it to your post, here.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Burn in during warranty period is not user error.

Samsung sets the max brightness level so they do it within tolerances of the screen they feel it can handle at least during the warranty period otherwise they wouldn't and get stuck with screen replacements. Even in auto brightness.

You'll notice it's been mentioned the 9 screen max brightness is not as bright as the 8. They says it's because the 9 screen doesn't hold the color quality to their standards but I wouldn't doubt it's also to reduce burn. The autobrightness on my 8 in the Florida sun is crazy bright and clear.

Also, I'm surprised they agreed to replace the screen or device for burn in. Typically that's user error. Use auto brightness or don't crank the brightness so high all the time.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Burn in during warranty period is not user error.

Samsung sets the max brightness level so they do it within tolerances of the screen they feel it can handle at least during the warranty period otherwise they wouldn't and get stuck with screen replacements. Even in auto brightness.

You'll notice it's been mentioned the 9 screen max brightness is not as bright as the 8. They says it's because the 9 screen doesn't hold the color quality to their standards but I wouldn't doubt it's also to reduce burn. The autobrightness on my 8 in the Florida sun is crazy bright and clear.

So after warranty the max brightness changes? So after warranty period then it is considered user error? I don't get it.

I mean it's great that Samsung covers this under the warranty period but OLED is OLED and burn in can occur no matter what device you have if you neglect to take care of it. People need to start taking ownership of their neglect.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
So after warranty the max brightness changes? So after warranty period then it is considered user error? I don't get it.

I mean it's great that Samsung covers this under the warranty period but OLED is OLED and burn in can occur no matter what device you have if you neglect to take care of it. People need to start taking ownership of their neglect.

I would own the neglect if there was neglect but I baby this phone. Plus the pattern that is burned in matches absolutely nothing that I can find. It's 9 little squares right in the middle of the screen.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

What you are suggesting about this being user error is like a car manufacturer setting the red line of an engine at 8,000 RPM and giving the customer no indication that the true mechanical red line (when damage will occur) is really at 6,000 RPM, and then denying a warranty claim when the engine blows at 7,000 RPM.

Warranty, at least in the U.S, basically says that defects are covered when used within the manufacturers parameters. In this case, if Samsung allows a certain max brightness, then it's reasonable to assume it's safe to run it at that brightness for at least the duration of the warranty period with no decline in performance. That would include burn in.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that it is user influenced (I'll not call it "error" because they give no indication running at max brightness is wrong), then that opens up Samsung to litigation for scamming their customers. So either way, Samsung would be on the hook for this. It's also the case that most users will have a lot of static images on their screens, making burn in almost inevitable and thus a bad design choice on the part of Samsung and other brands with AMOLED screens. So that's another mark against the manufacturers unless you consider it user error for buying those phones in the first place.

I'm a huge proponent of personal responsibility (and go so far as to avoid AMOLED if at all possible), but your opinion would have to be based on the ability of customers to read the minds of the engineers at Samsung to make sense.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
What you are suggesting about this being user error is like a car manufacturer setting the red line of an engine at 8,000 RPM and giving the customer no indication that the true mechanical red line (when damage will occur) is really at 6,000 RPM, and then denying a warranty claim when the engine blows at 7,000 RPM.

Warranty, at least in the U.S, basically says that defects are covered when used within the manufacturers parameters. In this case, if Samsung allows a certain max brightness, then it's reasonable to assume it's safe to run it at that brightness for at least the duration of the warranty period with no decline in performance. That would include burn in.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that it is user influenced (I'll not call it "error" because they give no indication running at max brightness is wrong), then that opens up Samsung to litigation for scamming their customers. So either way, Samsung would be on the hook for this. It's also the case that most users will have a lot of static images on their screens, making burn in almost inevitable and thus a bad design choice on the part of Samsung and other brands with AMOLED screens. So that's another mark against the manufacturers unless you consider it user error for buying those phones in the first place.

I'm a huge proponent of personal responsibility (and go so far as to and AMOLED if at all possible), but your opinion would have to be based on the ability of customers to read the minds of the engineers at Samsung to make sense.

That's fine do as you will. Like I said it's great that Samsung will cover it while under warranty but if that's how you continue to use your device after warranty and you get burn-in then what? Burn-in is inevitable on any AMOLED or OLED tech with static images and using max brightness does increase this and keeping your screen on for long periods of time increases this as well. I for one have never had screen burn-in issues because I don't keep static images and my device on for long periods of time.

As for the OP, I agree with your situation as you stated that the burn-in was caused by something else so I get that.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No, after the warranty runs out the max brightness stays the same. It's just that if it burns one day after the warranty, your SOL. What's so hard to understand?

Samsung all they care about is making a phone that will knock your socks off with the best display on the market to buy it and that they set their tolerances on their phones best they can to make sure it lasts throughout the warranty period so that they don't lose money having to fix/replace parts.

It's not neglect if a user wants to max out their display... the person could have bad eyes and need a phone at max bright... Samsung set the max bright and auto bright so should be no issue. But yeah a user should maybe know that doesn't help in longevity maybe... that after the warranty he keeps doing it, you're increasing the chance of accelerated wear.

But you spend 1K on a phone and it burns in months because you want to set it bright? Come on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX