The only thing I'm holding onto my P3XL for is the camera since I wasn't in love with my camera on my S9+. What's your true assessment of the camera performance on the N9 after the camera update. The pics in the sticky look fantastic but we all know we only post our best photos. 90% of my use I prefer the N9 but that 10% being the camera is probably more like 2/3rds of what's important to me with kids. The battery, pen and headphone jack just make for a better work flow.
    11-08-2018 08:23 AM
    The only thing I'm holding onto my P3XL for is the camera since I wasn't in love with my camera on my S9+. What's your true assessment of the camera performance on the N9 after the camera update. The pics in the sticky look fantastic but we all know we only post our best photos. 90% of my use I prefer the N9 but that 10% being the camera is probably more like 2/3rds of what's important to me with kids. The battery, pen and headphone jack just make for a better work flow.
    I don't have a 3XL but I do have the 2XL. Cameras are really close IMO but prefer the colors out of the Note 9 and all the features of the Note 9 give me far more better value for my money that what the Pixel offers and again this is just IMO. I just got the camera update last night and so far from what I've noticed it has definitely been improved. Both devices have their share of issues when it comes to low light/indoor shots but that's just the nature of smartphone sensors. I've been playing around with the new Night Sight apk on my 2XL and it is impressive but it's still not going to give you the details and sharpness that everyone hopes to get in low light shots and you definitely won't be able to use Night Sight with kids, pets, etc.
    11-08-2018 09:47 AM
    I have a good DSLR with solid glass and low light with moving targets is a challenge. To expect excellent photos in low light is asking for miracles out of a phone. I'm not that worried about low light as much as the water color effect I would get with my S9+ due to soft focus.
    11-08-2018 10:40 AM
    I think a problem with the Note 9 camera has been that it is very reluctant to set the aperture to 1.5 when in auto mode. It has to be REALLY dark to trigger the 1.5. As a result the camera effectively 2.4 making it worse than other cameras in moderately low light. If I compare the Note 8 to the Note 9, the Note 8 is was better than the Note 9 in moderately low light, in auto mode. I think this explains a lot of the complaints people have about the camera.

I have found however than in pro mode, the Note 9 is better than the Note 8 in moderately low light, because you can set 1.5. So I have gotten into the habit of using Pro mode when light is not great to force 1.5.

I'm just testing out the camera update that came with the October Security Patch. My initial impression is that the camera update helps a lot, at least in part because is makes much better use of the 1.5 aperture. I'll have to test some more over the weekend.
    11-08-2018 01:22 PM
    I think a problem with the Note 9 camera has been that it is very reluctant to set the aperture to 1.5 when in auto mode. It has to be REALLY dark to trigger the 1.5. As a result the camera effectively 2.4 making it worse than other cameras in moderately low light. If I compare the Note 8 to the Note 9, the Note 8 is was better than the Note 9 in moderately low light, in auto mode. I think this explains a lot of the complaints people have about the camera.

I have found however than in pro mode, the Note 9 is better than the Note 8 in moderately low light, because you can set 1.5. So I have gotten into the habit of using Pro mode when light is not great to force 1.5.

I'm just testing out the camera update that came with the October Security Patch. My initial impression is that the camera update helps a lot, at least in part because is makes much better use of the 1.5 aperture. I'll have to test some more over the weekend.
    Can you set the aperture and keep it in auto focus in Pro Mode?
    11-08-2018 02:42 PM
    Mine has no problem picking 1.5 in dim lighting. It doesn't need to be really dark. Every picture I'm looking at that was illuminated with my living room lamps uses 1.5.
    11-08-2018 03:20 PM
    I like the camera on the N9. My N8 had a bad camera which shot horrible photos.
    11-08-2018 03:52 PM
    Can you set the aperture and keep it in auto focus in Pro Mode?
    Yes you can leave everything on auto and just manually change the aperture.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    11-08-2018 04:24 PM
    Yes you can leave everything on auto and just manually change the aperture.
    I can't see how your can do that. I cannot change the aperture in auto mode, unless i am missing something. That's what auto mode is all about.

However, I can verify that auto mode handles low light shots better than pro mode. I have tested this over and over again. Even if I set a long exposure time of say 0.3 secs, low ISO and hold the phone very still, auto still takes a better shot in low light. And that's with auto setting a really high ISO. It's because you cannot apply the post processing algorithm that auto mode obviously applies.
    11-10-2018 07:16 AM
    I can't see how your can do that. I cannot change the aperture in auto mode, unless i am missing something. That's what auto mode is all about.
    No, what strikeIII meant is that in Pro mode, you can leave all the individual settings on automatic except for manually setting the aperture or the shutter speed.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    11-10-2018 07:47 AM
    Just got he update with camera improvements. I'll be testing to see if there is any difference.
    11-11-2018 12:05 AM