OP6T or Pixel 2 XL as backup?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm interested in a "high end" backup phone. It's functional to have a second device, plus to help break up the boredom with Samsung lol. I've found mint condition Pixel 2 XL's 128gb for $480. Or there's the OP6T that seems tempting at $579. Which would you take as your backup and why?

Last edited:

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I see advantages with both. I think the OP6T is drawing me in with that in screen FPS and edge to edge display. But the Pixel 2 allegedly has the better camera and is cheaper by almost $100 on swappa. I honestly can't make up my mind lol

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If OP offers a deal on Black Friday, OP6T. Have been slightly considering it over the Note9, due to value.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
*walks in...and since the only phone I buy are the note phones, I wave and say enjoy your choice and walks out since I don't have anything to contribute to this topic* lol sorry. Got bored😁

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm interested in a "high end" backup phone. It's functional to have a second device, plus to help break up the boredom with Samsung lol. I've found mint condition Pixel 2 XL's 128gb for $480. Or there's the OP6T that seems tempting at $579. Which would you take as your backup and why?

I can understand you being torn , I have the 1+6 very good phone and I also have my pixel 2 xl which again very solid phone . Your going get a better camera experience out the pixel but your going to get the better specs from the 1+6t good luck on your choice..

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Pixel 2XL. that way you have a device that not only has a better camera but also can put on the beta program to try out the latest Google releases and quick updates. I know that OnePlus also gets added to Google's beta but the Pixel will always get it first.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2XL. that way you have a device that not only has a better camera but also can put on the beta program to try out the latest Google releases and quick updates. I know that OnePlus also gets added to Google's beta but the Pixel will always get it first.

This is the best argument, in favor of the Pixel 2 XL.
I had one, for a month of daily driving and was not impressed. I thought it was the phone I really wanted.
I got the wife a 6/128 Note 9. With researching the purchase and helping her set it up and finding all it could do, I was really digging the N9. Once I found there was a 8GB RAM version I was in.
I've had the 8/512 N9 for six days and am impressed and enjoying it.
This is the first phone since 2012 that is not rootable and I'm on with that.

For a backup, I would be greatly tempted by the 6T, if it was compatible with my service provider.
My current backup is a rooted Moto Z2 Play.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Something else to consider, the OP6T model I'm looking at has 8GB RAM vs only 4GB in the Pixel 2 XL. I can't decide lol

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
A back up? Baller. LOL

jk I have two back ups to the Note 9.

Three by Black Friday. This ties my record, question is can I keep all three, do I want too. LOL

Apple iPhone XS 64GB Gold and Huawei P20 Pro Twilight.

I would've ordered the 6t but wanted white. I had the 6 too before.

OMG. I need helped. lol

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
every time I'm about to pull the trigger on one, i think of something from the other phone that forces me to pause, lol. #firstworldproblems . It's coming down to the camera for me. I know the Pixel 2XL has the better camera overall, but the question is by how much of a margin over the OP. I do think I'm leaning towards the OP, but getting a better camera at a lower price point makes the Pixel 2XL tempting.

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

Pixel 2 xl for sure

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
The mixed feedback hasn't made the decision an easier one lol. Appreciate the recommendations though. Part of the hesitation with the Pixel 2 XL is the idea of buying a phone that's already over a year old. I've only ever bought devices that were brand new or recently released. But in this case I get the reasoning for leaning that way. I'm starting to think that if I want a OP device maybe I should wait till the 7, which might have wireless charging and/or stereo speakers, 2 features I've come to appreciate.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The mixed feedback hasn't made the decision an easier one lol. Appreciate the recommendations though. Part of the hesitation with the Pixel 2 XL is the idea of buying a phone that's already over a year old. I've only ever bought devices that were brand new or recently released. But in this case I get the reasoning for leaning that way. I'm starting to think that if I want a OP device maybe I should wait till the 7, which might have wireless charging and/or stereo speakers, 2 features I've come to appreciate.

Pix 2xl don't have wireless charging ..