Any benefit of a faster SD card?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a Sandisk 400gb A1 card, I am nowhere near filling it up and with faster Sandisk A2 or Samsung Evo U3 256gb cards available at a decent price I am wondering if there is any benefit of switching to a faster card?

I know that Samsung does not use adoptable storage so maybe not as crucial but I often wonder as to whether having an SD card can be a bottleneck on a droid?

Thoughts?

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I would be surprised if you would notice any difference using a faster card than the A1 card you already have seeing as it is formatted as external. Faster cards are only essential when formatted as adoptable, and some users have had problems with adoptable storage, so a lot of phone manufacturers are no longer supporting adoptable.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Maybe if you do a lot of burst mode photography or 4K video... but otherwise, probably not.

On the other hand, if the prices are cheap for a new card and your current card is “old”, new media may be worth it...

I bought 128GB for 28 bucks...

R

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I took a punt on the SD Extreme Pro A2 card and tested it last night for a comparison,

Extreme Pro. 69 read and 50 write

Ultra 70 read and 43 write

So too close to worry about in terms of picking between them so I am going to stick with the larger ultra card. It's proof I guess that the N9 really cannot take advantage of faster cards.

Was going to test the new card in my LG G7 but formatted it on my Mac and did not realize my note had encrypted it, now it won't show on the G7, looks like I've broken it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20