Is anyone using stock messaging and stock keyboard?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I just installed Gboard myself to try it. I've been having some incredibly frustrating moments with swype typing with the native Samsung stock keyboard. And I mean ridiculously frustrating moments.

For e.g., trying to type something stupidly simple as in vs on. No matter how accurately I type 'in' it keeps defaulting to the word 'on'. Making me go to the word bar and manually select 'on'. And some of the typos have been beyond stretching the imagination.

So far, Gboard has been a lot better.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Google Message

I'm able to sync across my computer and chromebook and send SMS without having to encourage others to download the same app

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Unless the Samsung messenger app has changed in the last few weeks...

You can't customize different notifications; icons, sounds, LED color, for different contacts.

This is the single most important feature for me. I want to know by sound, or at a glance whether my son, wife, or someone else, just texted me.

Samsung's messaging app does not have that feature, but Textra, and some others, do.

This. I absolutely HAVE to have separate customized sounds and what not for different people...that's part of the beauty of having this flagship device. Whenever Samsung decides to fix this AS WELL AS coloring the backgrounds and bubbles and stuff inside the messaging app, I'll stick with a 3rd party app....Textra, at the moment.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

You can't customize different notifications; icons, sounds, LED color, for different contacts.

This is the single most important feature for me. I want to know by sound, or at a glance whether my son, wife, or someone else, just texted me.

Samsung's messaging app does not have that feature, but Textra, and some others, do.

Like wtf. Samsung Messages on my Note 4 does all of that besides the LED. This Messages on Note 9 is so barebones compared to what it used to be.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use the stock messaging app as I have no problems with it especially since it matches the Samsung theme that I use. I would love to use Gboard but because I use Secure Folder it doesn't allow my Google account to sync with it so I use SwiftKey.

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I use the Samsung messaging app and it suits my needs.

I've got three primary keyboards that I use: BlackBerry, swift key and the native samsung keyboard.

As a result of this thread I've gone back to using the Samsung keyboard, and, as I haven't used it in quite some months, I find it greatly improved, and I think I'll stay with it.

One thing that annoys me is that there's no auto space after a comma ... why?!?!?

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Not sure if you've found the various ways of setting up stuff with the note 9 version of Samsung's messaging app 🤔

You can certainly allocate a specific sound to a specific person, and also vibration or not. Go into the contact app, and change the sound per individual there.

Interestingly, it seems that textra, frpm version 4, can't use different colour icons, and there is a thread on that.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...has-eliminated-colored-icons.html#post6403652

Attachments

• 7724.jpg
    7724.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 28

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
This. I absolutely HAVE to have separate customized sounds and what not for different people...that's part of the beauty of having this flagship device. Whenever Samsung decides to fix this AS WELL AS coloring the backgrounds and bubbles and stuff inside the messaging app, I'll stick with a 3rd party app....Textra, at the moment.

Yep, you can change the sounds, and add vibration. Go into the contact app and change the sound for the individual.

And from version 4, textra no longer has coloured icons.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...has-eliminated-colored-icons.html#post6403652

Attachments

• 7724.jpg
    7724.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 27

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep, you can change the sounds, and add vibration. Go into the contact app and change the sound for the individual.

And from version 4, textra no longer has coloured icons.

Actually, now that you both show that screen, I think that I did know that ... maybe... but disregarded it because it's really the customized notification icons I most care about.

Thank you though.

It was more the colored icons that I cared about since I turn my sounds off while at work.

As for Textra removing colored icons in V. 4... I've never had auto update turned on for apps... changes like this being an example of why. So, I'm simply not going to update Textra ever again.

I can't even begin to tell you how ticked off I am at Google's forcing this change on Textra, and presumably other app that use colored notification icons... but that's a different thread, lol.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm not picky about messaging so I use stock. I like having the numbers and letters all in one place so for now I'm using stock keyboard.