12-20-2018 07:57 AM
268 1234 ...
tools
    Ya. Like I said I haven’t used a phone with an exynos processor since my Galaxy S6 Edge+. They could’ve very well improved power consumption since then. Snapdragon processors have usually had pretty good power efficiency but with all of the people saying that they’re having horrible battery drain and people saying their phone is perfect seems to point towards QA issues. It’s really just like winning the lottery when it comes to wether you are going to get a phone with horrible battery drain or one that’s perfectly normal. I’m getting my Note 9 here soon coming from an iPhone X. I’m so excited to finally get away from Apple’s ecosystem but my only concern is wether it’s going to have this draining issue or if I’m going to get lucky
    That is exactly how I felt after I got my phone repaired. Before I cracked the screen I was in the minority of people getting good battery life, and didn't want to lose that over an unauthorized modification.

For whatever reason they changed the battery as well on top of fixing the screen. I almost cussed them out lol. But after a full cycle the battery has been performing better than the last.

Even on my roughest days, I was able to pull a full 24 hours. For the people who aren't there is definitely a defect. But based on location it can be tough getting to a Samsung Experience Store where they can run a diagnostic.

When I was on the Note 4 I definitely had battery envy because at the time people were reporting 8+ hours with 24 hours of standby, and I was only getting 3 if I was lucky under a full day. I only got over 4 hours after rooting and compromising features. It was very annoying.

Probably some fault with the processor and power management. Had a Snapdragon 805.
    11-14-2018 07:07 PM
    I get better battery life out of the note then I did the xs max. one of the main reasons I decided NOT to keep it.
    11-17-2018 12:43 PM
    This way day today, not really sure what else I can do to get 6hrs of screen time, tried everything including a factory reset, is this just normal? I was watching mrwhostheboss latest YouTube vid on his top 15 phones this year and in it he stated that the battery life on his note 9 deteriorated after 2 months
    What do you have your display brightness set at?
    11-17-2018 10:55 PM
    I get better battery life out of the note then I did the xs max. one of the main reasons I decided NOT to keep it.
    U must b joking
    11-17-2018 10:56 PM
    My S9+ running the exynos version has an ordinary battery life, but it was worse then battery improved significantly after August patch.
    11-17-2018 11:08 PM
    "Android system" seems to be killing my battery on my new Note. Today I'm sitting on 28% battery life with only 2h11m screen time. Android system at top with 24%.
    11-21-2018 08:29 PM
    I have to say after a couple of months of ownership of the Note 9, it doesn't live up to the hype of "all day battery life".

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. But I feel now a bit naive thinking because of the 4000 mAh battery it would give me super battery life. I would describe it as "good but not great". But it does recharge nice and quick which I love. In the end I'm not complaining, just making a statement.

But standby drain is particularly bad. I've also had a number of times now the phone was running unusually warm and draining particularly badly, (not playing games) and I've powered off the phone and restarted it. It's happened about 3 times in about 2 months and happened again earlier today. I was watching some YouTube and even put the display brightness to bare minimum. But it persisted to run warm.

I'm really now hanging out for Android P to hopefully rectify some glitches I have experienced.
    11-22-2018 03:03 AM
    I have to say after a couple of months of ownership of the Note 9, it doesn't live up to the hype of "all day battery life".

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. But I feel now a bit naive thinking because of the 4000 mAh battery it would give me super battery life. I would describe it as "good but not great". But it does recharge nice and quick which I love. In the end I'm not complaining, just making a statement.

But standby drain is particularly bad. I've also had a number of times now the phone was running unusually warm and draining particularly badly, (not playing games) and I've powered off the phone and restarted it. It's happened about 3 times in about 2 months and happened again earlier today. I was watching some YouTube and even put the display brightness to bare minimum. But it persisted to run warm.

I'm really now hanging out for Android P to hopefully rectify some glitches I have experienced.
    It running warm shows that the copper cooling pipe is doing its job. It dissipates the heat outside your phone not keep it stored inside.
    11-22-2018 03:13 AM
    It running warm shows that the copper cooling pipe is doing its job. It dissipates the heat outside your phone not keep it stored inside.
    Oh ok. Well that is good but the question is why was it running warm when I was only doing pedestrian activities? As I say, I'm not criticizing or complaining. I love this phone and would love to get another Note.
    11-22-2018 03:16 AM
    Oh ok. Well that is good but the question is why was it running warm when I was only doing pedestrian activities? As I say, I'm not criticizing or complaining. I love this phone and would love to get another Note.
    Yeah that I have no idea why haha. My phone gets warm when I'm playing intensive games like pubg and charging it at the same time.

If it isn't very warm I wouldn't get too concerned. Maybe you have a few activities running in the background? When I'm torrenting stuff my note 9 gets warm too.

Ps: love my note 9 too
    11-22-2018 03:30 AM
    Excessive battery drain during standby, getting warm during normal use etc. would suggest to me that you have a lot of background activity going on. Perhaps an app, service or syncing running rampant. Have you tested your phone by running it in safe mode?
    jimd1050 likes this.
    11-22-2018 08:12 AM
    Excessive battery drain during standby, getting warm during normal use etc. would suggest to me that you have a lot of background activity going on. Perhaps an app, service or syncing running rampant. Have you tested your phone by running it in safe mode?
    I have gone through every app individually and turned off running in background for mobile data. Plus every app is in always sleeping mode except Life360.
    11-22-2018 03:39 PM
    I have gone through every app individually and turned off running in background for mobile data. Plus every app is in always sleeping mode except Life360.
    Towards the end of your day, go into settings then apps and check each for battery usage since last full charge. See if any show battery use outside of those that you used during the day or any excessive amounts reported.
    11-22-2018 04:06 PM
    "Android system" still killing my battery. 2h3m screen time down to 15% battery life left. 25% drain from Android System.
    11-26-2018 08:14 PM
    "Android system" still killing my battery. 2h3m screen time down to 15% battery life left. 25% drain from Android System.
    2hr screen time? That's really bad! Maybe your standby time is very long?
    11-26-2018 09:27 PM
    "Android system" seems to be killing my battery on my new Note. Today I'm sitting on 28% battery life with only 2h11m screen time. Android system at top with 24%.
    Android System contains so many processes it is impossible to narrow down the culprit. In old versions of Android many of those processes were listed separately making it easier to find battery eaters. I wonder why so many things are now combined under one umbrella making it impossible to figure out what's happening in our phones.
    11-26-2018 09:58 PM
    My Note 9 battery life is usually great. I can easily get through a 7am - 11pm day with only a 80% charge and 40% left.

Recently I noticed a 2-3% per hour drain even when I wasnt using phone.

I did the wipe cache partition and the battery is back to normal draining 1% or less per hour.

Follow this article if you want to try, it really does make a difference.
    https://www.androidexplained.com/gal...che-partition/
    jimd1050 likes this.
    11-27-2018 08:01 AM
    This was after about 13 hours total on battery, with cell standby taking 3%.
    11-27-2018 08:32 AM
    Interesting read about the battery and performance differences between the two Note 9 variants:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13582...agon-vs-exynos
    Michael Michael3 and mumfoau like this.
    11-27-2018 12:10 PM
    I have discovered a couple of things. Firstly, all these settings to stop apps running in the background don't seem to work. I have all my apps in sleeping mode and it still doesn't seem to do anything. Plus other settings.

I have also found when I'm out and about or overnight, that Greenify really helps to cut down on standby drain.
    11-27-2018 08:22 PM
    Interesting read about the battery and performance differences between the two Note 9 variants:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13582...agon-vs-exynos
    Yeah I'm using an exynos version and long ago I realised this exynos version isn't really good at games..
    11-28-2018 01:45 AM
    Since I got in trouble using my note at work I usually get 10 to 12 hours moderate to heavy use now that I'm not using it I'm getting crazy batterylife lol when I get home I'm still on 70 percent battery
    11-28-2018 01:43 PM
    I'm really impressed with the battery so far. But I'm coming from a tired 2 year old S7 Edge. I usually stream all day at work and cant remember the last time I didn't have to plug in by lunch. I need to tweak some things still, but I love this phone!
    Gray Area likes this.
    11-28-2018 10:04 PM
    This is my first full day with the phone.... I'm at 59% after 5.75 hours on battery and 2.067 hours SoT...

mustang7757 likes this.
    11-29-2018 11:08 AM
    Headed upstairs for the night...

11-29-2018 06:43 PM
268 1234 ...