Note 9 battery life.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't complain when I'm off the charger for more than 48 hours.

How are you getting such great battery life? I have the note 9 128gb model on AT&T and im lucky if mine lasts 8 hours. I charged my phone at 100 when i woke up 8sih this morning and by the time 1pm came it was at like 40 percent. Although, I did take a lot of photos and used navigation since im traveling on business, but it drains too fast. Its awful just as bad as my note 8. Phone is near brand new so nothing to hard reset.

I've wiped the cache partition several times which helps only temporarily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Tmobile. Note 9 6gb ram
I ended up with an AT&T Note 9 and a T-Mobile Note 9. The T-Mobile Note 9 always got double the battery life over the AT&T one. I got AT&T to unlock the Note 9 and I loaded the T-Mobile firmware onto it and started getting the amazing battery life that my T-Mobile Note 9 was getting.

I'm not using these phones as much now because I'm using a iPhone XS Max as my daily phone but the standby times on the Note 9s is lasting about 4 days with about 4-5 hrs screen time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I ended up with an AT&T Note 9 and a T-Mobile Note 9. The T-Mobile Note 9 always got double the battery life over the AT&T one. I got AT&T to unlock the Note 9 and I loaded the T-Mobile firmware onto it and started getting the amazing battery life that my T-Mobile Note 9 was getting.

I'm not using these phones as much now because I'm using a iPhone XS Max as my daily phone but the standby times on the Note 9s is lasting about 4 days with about 4-5 hrs screen time.

Yeah for some reason TMobile works great for me.

That's amazing standby your getting,with SOT .

I have ATT sim also and which ever phone put it in doesn't give me the best battery life which is odd.

msingh48

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am using note 9 exynos version.Battery life is great. 6 hours plus sot. I suggest not to use old phone backup app or settings data. I u backed up from old phone then reset app preference from apps,clear system cache,reset network settings,use medium power saving mode.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am using note 9 exynos version.Battery life is great. 6 hours plus sot. I suggest not to use old phone backup app or settings data. I u backed up from old phone then reset app preference from apps,clear system cache,reset network settings,use medium power saving mode.

Good tips for people struggling to get good battery life.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate battery savings modes of any kind. They either mean I get no tactile response, my screen isn't bright enough, weather doesn't update, my resolution drops to cheap phone quality or I don't get emails in a timely fashion. Why would I want to spend a grand on a phone to slow it down and dim the screen? My only complaint about Samsungs is others I've used drop 8 or 9 percent while I'm sleeping and phone should be. Android system just eats the battery and never any way to trace it. I admit I haven't tried the Note 9 yet but I have read others have the same issue. The 15 hour sot claims (hyperbole) strike me as people more interested in setting a record than enjoying the phone. They are running on low brightness low res and doing very little with phone while it's on. If you're gaming or streaming video or even chatting here at full res with everything syncing at 3 bars lte (typical where I am) I doubt you do much better than 5 hours continuous sot.

The tips are great. They DO work no question. I just don't want a dim, slow, unconnected phone. I don't know why anyone would unless involved in a natural disaster of some kind.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I hate battery savings modes of any kind. They either mean I get no tactile response, my screen isn't bright enough, weather doesn't update, my resolution drops to cheap phone quality or I don't get emails in a timely fashion. Why would I want to spend a grand on a phone to slow it down and dim the screen? My only complaint about Samsungs is others I've used drop 8 or 9 percent while I'm sleeping and phone should be. Android system just eats the battery and never any way to trace it. I admit I haven't tried the Note 9 yet but I have read others have the same issue. The 15 hour sot claims (hyperbole) strike me as people more interested in setting a record than enjoying the phone. They are running on low brightness low res and doing very little with phone while it's on. If you're gaming or streaming video or even chatting here at full res with everything syncing at 3 bars lte (typical where I am) I doubt you do much better than 5 hours continuous sot.

The tips are great. They DO work no question. I just don't want a dim, slow, unconnected phone. I don't know why anyone would unless involved in a natural disaster of some kind.

All those modes and options were put in there for better user control .

Do you want best battery life? Do you want best screen resolution or fastest performance the device can put out?
Then you have conservative mode for the in between gives you best of both worlds . For me I dont have to cripple my device to get my stats . Now if I want it to go more then 2 days or 3 days then I'm going to make some adjustments to get those results. At the end its what you want it to do but to go 1 full day should not be a issue regardless Sot .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
SOT is the main thing I care about since I charge in the car so I'm often at 100 percent when I reach some destination then may well use the phone continuously for as long as possible. Often lte us weak so sot is severely hampered. I've never got more than 5 hours on any phone and never got lessnthan 4.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
SOT is the main thing I care about since I charge in the car so I'm often at 100 percent when I reach some destination then may well use the phone continuously for as long as possible. Often lte us weak so sot is severely hampered. I've never got more than 5 hours on any phone and never got lessnthan 4.

You definitely get close to 9 or 10 SoT just keep using it until battery gets 5%

Edit: I see your on LTE mostly just reread your post .. that's still good SOT with just LTE...I'm mixed 50/50 with LTE and wifi

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
How are you getting such great battery life? I have the note 9 128gb model on AT&T and im lucky if mine lasts 8 hours. I charged my phone at 100 when i woke up 8sih this morning and by the time 1pm came it was at like 40 percent. Although, I did take a lot of photos and used navigation since im traveling on business, but it drains too fast. Its awful just as bad as my note 8. Phone is near brand new so nothing to hard reset.

I've wiped the cache partition several times which helps only temporarily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know for sure. I usually have great cell reception, limit background data, use dark themes, and I don't use AOD. I also don't live on my phone, rather use a computer for most things still. I made it over 48 hours but had less than 5 hours screen time.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Bought my wife a note 9 unlocked from Best Buy about a month ago.
Set it up from her S8+, which is on Verizon.

Asked her after a week, how her battery life was.
She said no better than the S8+ I had.
I said give it at least 3 weeks for the phone to adjust
Asked her a week ago how her battery life was.
She said it's definitely got better.
I really like this phone.
Glad you disabled Bixby.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine is just God awful. Don't blame the AOD because it barely uses batteryclife. Also I disabled it for a week and battery was the same. Can't figure out why it's so bad. Last me 7 hours tops. Screenshot_20181204-102440_Settings.jpeg

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
At what percentage does the phone consider it a full charge and the battery state reset? Seems like at one time is was 90%.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah something wrong..
What carrier you using and steps you tried? Are you on mobile data most of the time?
Like 95 percent of this world of course I'm on mobile data. I've tried wiping cache partition several times. Hard reset. I run device maintenance on a daily basis clear out ram. I've tried safe mode but whenever I try it and come out of it, my stuff is pretty much gone when restored. My carrier is ATT. Sure I can hard reset again but I'm always traveling and it's too time consuming. Even with heavy usage this phone drains too fast. Considering I've had 4 note 9 devices since launch. So frustrating for 1000 dollar phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Like 95 percent of this world of course I'm on mobile data. I've tried wiping cache partition several times. Hard reset. I run device maintenance on a daily basis clear out ram. I've tried safe mode but whenever I try it and come out of it, my stuff is pretty much gone when restored. My carrier is ATT. Sure I can hard reset again but I'm always traveling and it's too time consuming. Even with heavy usage this phone drains too fast. Considering I've had 4 note 9 devices since launch. So frustrating for 1000 dollar phone.

I understand your frustration, but meaning are you more on mobile data then wifi ?

In device maintenance try putting lot of the apps in sleep that way they not in background as often see if it improves your battery for few days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair