Note 9 battery life.

Mellish1

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
Just wondering how the battery life is for everyone? I'm running exynos version and it isn't great, "android system" consumes so much battery and feel like I've tried everything from wiping the cache to disabling apps but I'm still only getting just over 4 hours screen on time even with the display at 1080.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering how the battery life is for everyone? I'm running exynos version and it isn't great, "android system" consumes so much battery and feel like I've tried everything from wiping the cache to disabling apps but I'm still only getting just over 4 hours screen on time even with the display at 1080.

I am in the same boat as you. Some post crazy battery life stats but others like you and me get bad battery life and from what I can tell it's caused by a high amount of "android systems". I am running an ATT Snapdragon 845 and I have wiped the cache multiple times, turned off background data for tons of apps and done 2 factory resets and nothing seems to help. Very disappointing for a $1000 phone that has a 4000mAh battery.

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
In my experience samsung phones have a strange battery consumption trend .. they usually drains alot of battery in stand by but if u start using them continuously after recharging .. they will provide 7 to 8 hours screen on time in 9 hours stand by before dying my s9 plus was giving me 7to 8 hours usage at single charge only if i use it continuously .. but this scree on time reduced to 4 hours if i use the phone less eg 4 hours usage in 18 hours stand by ... before i need to charge it again... which describes why some people get better sot than others ... samsung phones have stand by battery drain disease since galaxy s5 era due to bad software optimisation and un necessary background processes which consumes alot of useful battery while phone is sleeping ..

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm getting some pretty good battery life with my note 9. Last week 6 days ago when I got it at the AT&T store I was concerned about the battery life...it didn't seem much better than my note 8 (which I thought was pretty good anyway) but after a week it's mysteriously become a beast. I stream 2-4 hours Howard Stern via the SiriusXM app over (3 bars out of 5) over cellular here in Savannah at work and use a Bluetooth earpiece so I don't look like I'm listening to the "radio" at work. I'm at work with 100% at 5am and by 3pm or 4pm I'm still still way over 80%... I don't play games but I take pics and post to Instagram and Snapchat and text peeps and then get on these forums and stuff late r over WiFi... Is there an app that will give me these stats you guys have so I can intelligently evaluate where my phone stands????

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm getting some pretty good battery life with my note 9. Last week 6 days ago when I got it at the AT&T store I was concerned about the battery life...it didn't seem much better than my note 8 (which I thought was pretty good anyway) but after a week it's mysteriously become a beast. I stream 2-4 hours Howard Stern via the SiriusXM app over (3 bars out of 5) over cellular here in Savannah at work and use a Bluetooth earpiece so I don't look like I'm listening to the "radio" at work. I'm at work with 100% at 5am and by 3pm or 4pm I'm still still way over 80%... I don't play games but I take pics and post to Instagram and Snapchat and text peeps and then get on these forums and stuff late r over WiFi... Is there an app that will give me these stats you guys have so I can intelligently evaluate where my phone stands????

What texting app do you use and do you use the Samsung keyboard? I use AccuBattery for my battery status but you can get screen on time by using the Samsung Device Maintenance app.

My battery starts to drain before I even leave the house in the morning. I charge it to 100%, takes me about 45 to get ready and about 15 mins to get to work. Before I leave the house, it's down to 96% and when I get to work it's around 95% before even using my phone. I stream a show using Podcast Addict at work and I get a great signal at work. Right now, I have been on battery for 7 hours 53 mins and I am down to 52%. Kind of frustrating.

NourHany1

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
Mine has been pretty good, I have the exynos version and it gives me on average 7 hours of SOT with 20%-15% battery left and lasts me the whole day.
But like others say, I do notice that it drains more battery on standby.

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
What texting app do you use and do you use the Samsung keyboard? I use AccuBattery for my battery status but you can get screen on time by using the Samsung Device Maintenance app.

My battery starts to drain before I even leave the house in the morning. I charge it to 100%, takes me about 45 to get ready and about 15 mins to get to work. Before I leave the house, it's down to 96% and when I get to work it's around 95% before even using my phone. I stream a show using Podcast Addict at work and I get a great signal at work. Right now, I have been on battery for 7 hours 53 mins and I am down to 52%. Kind of frustrating.

I'm using Gboard keyboard and Textra messaging app.. although I've always used swipe keyboard in the past but whatever...

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the exxnos version too. I play games on it a lot, work from it, do some social media and it makes it through the day. If I wasn't playing those games I think it could go two days. I'm happy enough with the battery, notable improvement over the s8.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
my.battery life is not good either. it's not terrible by any means but it needs charging by early evening most days. i would say I'm quite a heavy user but i had better battery life on my Pixel 2XL.

Mellish1

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
Glad to know it's not only me that is experiencing this, I'm really quite dissapointed by this one of the main reasons I bought this phone was for the battery life. I did a factory reset yesterday but it still isn't great. My main problem seems to be "Android system" is draining quite a lot. Having already cleared the cache and factory reset I'm really unsure as to what to do.

Mellish1

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
Yeah this is a lot like mine.i wake up at 5am, stream maybe 45 mins of spotify on my way to work and by the time I'm there I'm on 80% with only 30 mins screen on time, if I dont touch my phone and just leave it when I finish work I'm walking out with about 60%

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Had my phone off the charger since 9 am and used Facebook messenger most of the day and played a lot of music after that on YouTube and Google music. Did some browsing and some screen memos and texting. It's now 12:40 am and I'm at 17%. On my iPhone 7 plus I would've had to have my charger connected by now. I could probably stay up another hour and not have to worry about it. I'm very much happy.
186f1d319b68494423e80f98df6d5d92.jpg

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I went to a Samsung Experience Store in NYC to fix my phone which had an unfortunate accident. When I came to pick it up, the technician told me they replaced the battery free of charge even though there was nothing with it! Didn't know how I would feel about that since I was already happy and didn't want to gamble, but low and behold...

My first cycle in.

Attachments

• 5230.jpg
    5230.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 90

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I routinely end the day with 50% battery and 5 hours of SOT. Off charge at 7:30am, on charger before I go to bed around midnight.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Put it into the Power Save Mode, that's the best way to deal with this on these phones.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Put it into the Power Save Mode, that's the best way to deal with this on these phones.

I tried with Power Save Mode at one point and was pushed 4 days with 9 hours screen time. (About 2 hours a day roughly.)

Cutting back on unnecessary social media consumption has been not only a breath of fresh air for myself, but also my phone.

I have an iPad and a laptop at home so the most this screen use is getting is light social media, Android Central, Messenger and texting. Off screen it gets lots of music playback and some phone calls.

During this test time I experienced no lag whatsoever and keep 4K resolution at all times. I see no battery difference between 1080 at all, but I di see how ugly it is. Lol

During this phase, standby drain was already substantially low prior to Power Save. With Power Save standby drain is practically non-existent. I wasted more battery checking everyday to see if dropped any percent. Overnight I'd lose just 1%.

I didn't get to try Power Save on this new battery yet. It's been performing well enough with a power cycle. This is the first time I'm trying to run down the phone to 0% for a power cycle. I'll report back right when it hits 1%.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
10 hours later and still going strong. I've been home in a low to non-existent cell area with wifi on all the time. I'm surprised the battery isn't dead yet.

My set up
Resolution - 4K
Cell Signal - Max 2 bars at home.
Power Save - Off
Wifi - On all times
Bluetooth - On when needed
Location Services - High Accuracy
Facebook / Instagram / Messenger / Twitter - Notifications on.
Background data on.

No compromises made. If anyone is experiencing less than a full day use on light use (less than 3.5 hour of screen time per day) they may just need the battery replaced.

Then again, people with good battery life are less likely to make threads about good battery life because it's just not of the nature. Forums consist of more upset customers with complaints more than anything else. The heaviest of users 7 hours plus per day should be able to get through the day easily. Asking for anything more than that is asking for too much.

View attachment 294080
5232.jpg