12-07-2018 07:14 PM
45 12
tools
    So the Note 9 and the iPhone X are not just cameras...they do other things as well. And switching solely for a single feature within a single feature would be totally asinine. Kind of like that comment. Sit down kid.
    I look at this way, we expect way too much from our phone. Most of the time, it does really good job. Every once in awhile, I take s h i t t y photo. That's why I often time use live shot instead so I can go back later. Note 9 is decent, not best. Then again, I'm not complaining since I got $600 off
    jimd1050 likes this.
    11-17-2018 02:47 PM
    So the Note 9 and the iPhone X are not just cameras...they do other things as well. And switching solely for a single feature within a single feature would be totally asinine. Kind of like that comment. Sit down kid.
    Need a better camera app-laughing.jpg ...I'm supposed to behave and not agree but just had to laugh - good one Skydiver!
    Attached Thumbnails Need a better camera app-open_hand.jpg  
    11-17-2018 03:47 PM
    I look at this way, we expect way too much from our phone. Most of the time, it does really good job. Everyone once in awhile, I take s h i t t y photo. That's why I often time use live shot instead so I can go back later. Note 9 is decent, not best. Then again, I'm not complaining since I got $600 off
    I just did the same... waited until the last minute and the offer was about to end, then pulled the trigger!
    TMavC5 likes this.
    11-17-2018 03:54 PM
    11-17-2018 04:47 PM
    Dynamic range of that app sucks. I took one picture and it was terrible compared to stock.
    11-17-2018 06:47 PM
    As I mentioned earlier I've been playing around with the Moment app the last few days and it does have a faster shutter button. Give it a try before you buy and Video capabilities will be coming soon.
    11-17-2018 08:14 PM
    I have been saying the same thing. I love the Note 9 but still grabbing my iPhone 7 for indoor photos of my kids because it takes better photos inside my home. I can't even get a decent shot on pro of my 10 month old. I have a nice expensive DSLR. I wanted a great phone with a great camera for those quick shots. I have been let down. I got the "update". It did nothing for me. I hope there is a software fix soon or I will not be a Samsung user for long and I really truly want to be. Also I just ordered all new lighting for my house because of this phone. Tired of my blond headed boys looking like they orange hair and skin.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    11-17-2018 10:39 PM
    I found even with the Pixel 3 XL if there's much movement in low light you get mediocre at best results. Does the end result look crisper and maybe extra detail in the final photo on my 3XL yeah, but it's pretty noisy as well. If I want awesome photos I pull out my Canon but that's not always a guarantee and often you find a cute moment you want to remember when the only device you have on you is your cellphone. So I grasp why the best camera possible is a huge factor for most people. But with a bit of manipulation in pro mode you can have amazing results with the Samsung. However the simplicity of just firing off a shot without fiddling with settings is a huge bonus for a lot of people.
    11-21-2018 10:31 AM
    Is it worth installing the google camera port?
    11-28-2018 04:16 PM
    Wow. You come here with complaints, asking for help, all the while praising the iPhone. Then crap on someone for calling you out. Whose the 'kid'?
    12-03-2018 02:44 PM
    Is it worth installing the google camera port?
    No.
    12-04-2018 09:12 PM
    I like the stock camera app for every situation EXCEPT low light where subjects move. Low light stills are off the hook with how much the camera brings in but 100% of the time if the picture has a person in it and they have the audacity to breath it's a guaranteed blur.

And no, whipping out the camera and going to manual is not an option. You don't capture a moment by going into settings for a few minutes while everyone is posing like a bunch of goons.
    Try OpenCamera. It's my main alternative to the stock S9+ app and usually does an ok job.
    12-04-2018 09:40 PM
    I've said it time and time again, the issue is with the delay there is from when you hit the shutter button and when the image is actually written. As soon as you hit the button, watch the screen and you'll see that it freezes for a split second, any movement from the subject or you will result in blur. And yes I know how lighting affects things and shutters need to stay open, but I also know that 1/15 shutter speed should not have the type of delay I see when I take a picture. My S7 Edge does not do this, this is clearly a software problem.
    There is not a camera in the world, whether cell phone or the very best from Nikon or Leica, that will give you a non-blurry photo of moving people if the shutter speed is 1/15. It's not a question of lag between the time that you press the button and when the image is captured. It's just a fact that if the shutter is open for 1/15, that is long enough for any subject movement to result in blur. For any given lighting, the exposure is a result of shutter speed, lens aperture, and ISO. If that results in a shutter speed of 1/15, whether as a result of the camera setting all three parameters automatically or you doing it manually, moving people WILL be blurred, on every single camera in the world.

If you are able to increase ISO (which may increase noise and decrease dynamic range) or increase the aperture enough to get the shutter speed up to 1/60, or better, 1/125, then you have a much better chance at getting non-blurry images of people moving, as long as they're not moving too fast. Slow shutter speeds might also result in blur due to your hand movement while taking the photo.
    12-05-2018 10:13 AM
    There is not a camera in the world, whether cell phone or the very best from Nikon or Leica, that will give you a non-blurry photo of moving people if the shutter speed is 1/15. It's not a question of lag between the time that you press the button and when the image is captured. It's just a fact that if the shutter is open for 1/15, that is long enough for any subject movement to result in blur. For any given lighting, the exposure is a result of shutter speed, lens aperture, and ISO. If that results in a shutter speed of 1/15, whether as a result of the camera setting all three parameters automatically or you doing it manually, moving people WILL be blurred, on every single camera in the world.

If you are able to increase ISO (which may increase noise and decrease dynamic range) or increase the aperture enough to get the shutter speed up to 1/60, or better, 1/125, then you have a much better chance at getting non-blurry images of people moving, as long as they're not moving too fast. Slow shutter speeds might also result in blur due to your hand movement while taking the photo.
    Consumers and reviewers hold smartphone cameras in such high regard that it makes people think it can replace a real camera. We're not there yet folks. Invest in a Sony RX100 VA or similar and be happy.
    12-05-2018 10:41 AM

I wasn't talking about moving people and I know how cameras work. My S7 Edge is more responsive at the same shutter speed as is my DSLR, 1/15 shutter speed should not produce a blurry image on a stationary object if there is OIS involved.
    12-05-2018 09:02 PM
    I wasn't talking about moving people . . . .
    My bad. I could have sworn the first sentence in your opening post said:

I like the stock camera app for every situation EXCEPT low light where subjects move.
    I just took this handheld shot of a stationary subject while sitting at my computer, 1/6 second exposure, and I don't see a blur problem. Stock app, straight out of camera image with no edits.

Need a better camera app-20181206_202559.jpg
    12-06-2018 10:33 PM

I just took this handheld shot of a stationary subject while sitting at my computer, 1/6 second exposure, and I don't see a blur problem. Stock app, straight out of camera image with no edits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181206_202559.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	295115
    I don’t think that snap qualifies as “low light” either.
    12-07-2018 02:46 AM
    I don’t think that snap qualifies as “low light” either.
    The OP's complaint was about blur. Blur can result from two things: (1) camera movement while the shutter is open. OP referred to shooting at 1/15. My snap was at 1/6. A steady hand and the camera's image stabilization are clearly sufficient to avoid blur at this slow shutter speed, as I demonstrated; OR (2) subject movement. If a person is moving, there is NO camera in the world that can prevent that subject from being blurred at 1/15 second exposure, which was my point in my first post.

Blur does not result from whether the light is low or high. You can put your camera on a tripod and take a 20 second exposure of a stationary subject in the lowest light and there will be no blur. There might be noise from a high ISO or from the long exposure.

So if you are getting blur at 1/15 second, it is either because of hand movement of the camera while the shutter is open (and you need to stabilize the camera, work on your skills of holding steady, or pick a higher ISO or wider aperture if possible to give you a faster shutter speed) OR it is because your subject is moving (and you either have to ask your subject to hold still or pick a higher ISO or wider aperture if possible to give you a faster shutter speed). Increasing the amount of light by using a flash or other means would be another way to get to a higher shutter speed.

Thinking that there might be some other camera app that will magically take a sharp image of a moving subject at 1/15 is fallacious. Now, if the blur is caused by hand shake (as opposed to subject movement), better image stabilization could potentially help with that, but I doubt that any camera app would be able to improve the camera's image stabilization. That is either a hardware issue or a camera firmware issue.

A lag between the time that you activate the shutter and the time that the shutter opens and closes could potentially cause blur IF you are using a slow shutter speed and have hand movement during the time that the shutter is open. My snap demonstrates that the Note 9 with the stock camera app is fully capable of taking a non-blurred image handheld at 1/6 second. Whether that first shot I posted is low light or not is irrelevant to this point.

Secondarily there could be a different type of "blur" if the shot is out of focus, but I don't think the OP was complaining about that.

But, here you go, another handheld shot, this one at 1/15, and I think it qualifies as a low light shot. I see no blur problem.

Need a better camera app-20181207_065501.jpg
    12-07-2018 08:26 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181206_202559.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	295115
    Uh, I'm not the OP and I never said that. You've been talking to them and quoting me the entire time.
    12-07-2018 05:29 PM
    You're right. My mistake, and my apologies to you for confusing you with the OP.

But I stand by my comments about what does and what does not cause blur in photos.
    12-07-2018 07:14 PM
45 12