Need a better camera app

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
I like the stock camera app for every situation EXCEPT low light where subjects move. Low light stills are off the hook with how much the camera brings in but 100% of the time if the picture has a person in it and they have the audacity to breath it's a guaranteed blur.

And no, whipping out the camera and going to manual is not an option. You don't capture a moment by going into settings for a few minutes while everyone is posing like a bunch of goons.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Low light + subjects moving = motion blur. That is true of all phone cameras. Last weekend my wife and I took pictures at my 9 year old daughter's birthday party. My wife's Iphone X showed at least as much motion blur as my Note 9. And the overall quality of the note 9 shots were better.

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
The iPhone X was much better at this. Not nearly as much blur. In the year I had it I never noticed one bad picture where on the Note 9 is is so obvious it's just embarrassing.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've said it time and time again, the issue is with the delay there is from when you hit the shutter button and when the image is actually written. As soon as you hit the button, watch the screen and you'll see that it freezes for a split second, any movement from the subject or you will result in blur. And yes I know how lighting affects things and shutters need to stay open, but I also know that 1/15 shutter speed should not have the type of delay I see when I take a picture. My S7 Edge does not do this, this is clearly a software problem.

EDIT: Just put it in Pro mode and it does NOT do this weird stutter/pause when you take a picture...

Last edited:

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've said it time and time again, the issue is with the delay there is from when you hit the shutter button and when the image is actually written. As soon as you hit the button, watch the screen and you'll see that it freezes for a split second, any movement from the subject or you will result in blur. And yes I know how lighting affects things and shutters need to stay open, but I also know that 1/15 shutter speed should not have the type of delay I see when I take a picture. My S7 Edge does not do this, this is clearly a software problem.

EDIT: Just put it in Pro mode and it does NOT do this weird stutter/pause when you take a picture...
pro mode is has the issue as well.At least that's the mode where I saw the lagging and freezing. Auto and everything else works fine for me.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I like the stock camera app for every situation EXCEPT low light where subjects move. Low light stills are off the hook with how much the camera brings in but 100% of the time if the picture has a person in it and they have the audacity to breath it's a guaranteed blur.

And no, whipping out the camera and going to manual is not an option. You don't capture a moment by going into settings for a few minutes while everyone is posing like a bunch of goons.

I've been getting more blurred pix than I would like but not very many and certainly not as much as my note 8.

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site

I get it and i get photography in low light. But this is very odd. I've never experienced this with all the iPhones I've used before. It is very prevalent in the Note 9 pics and after I posted this and looked down the thread it is very common for Samsung 2018. And it isn't just in very low light, it's for pics in kinda low light (indoor, evening...etc..). If it's hardware it's a deal breaker, experiment over; if it's software I hope they get this fixed soon.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I really dont think it's hardware. I think it's just a case of the software sucking. I'm going go do more comparisons with my S7 Edge but so far I can tell the shutter is instant and that phone is no slouch in low light.

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Yeah that's the thing, the amount of light the camera brings in for a still shot is down right incredible...almost to the point where it can be unrealistic! I've never seen anything like it, and equally why it's so perplexing that for a group shot the light level seems fine and then bam! Face blur.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that's the thing, the amount of light the camera brings in for a still shot is down right incredible...almost to the point where it can be unrealistic! I've never seen anything like it, and equally why it's so perplexing that for a group shot the light level seems fine and then bam! Face blur.

Samsung(and other companies) has be know to use old parts to save here and there. They need to fix this and I don't think software can fix it. Just my opinion though.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Try using the Moment camera app. Just started using it and it does seem faster but haven't tried it yet with people or moving subjects. I paid for the Pro since I bought their wide angle lens. It just doesn't have a movie mode yet for Android but it will eventually.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Are there decent camera apps that also can switch between wide and telephoto lenses? My camera app has now started to crash. Anyone else getting this? Maybe I have an app conflict...

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
i have to say that when I had my Pixel 2 XL, I didn't have any issues with blurring. i took some really good motion shots that were also in portrait mode and they were sharp and clear. the camera on the note 9 is good but I've noticed i too have to play around with it to get a good shot. that wasn't the case in the Pixel. it's definitely a software issue as the Pixel, as we all know, doesn't have the lenses like this phone does

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There is now a Gcam port that works well for the Snapdragon Note 9 if you need/want an alternative. The much touted S9 version would not work on my Note and would crash before I could even open it. This one is based off of the Pixel 3 and works with no problems for me. Here you go: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/...iMAX2_V1b_A8.1+fix_Hexagon_failed+blFront.apk

Where is this gcam mod from? Xda? Do you have a link to a thread about this?

I thought there was only Pixel 2 versions of gcam for Note 9 Snapdragon this far.

Would like to find out more about this if it's from the Pixel 3...

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I was noticing way better dynamic range on indoor shots of a white towel with the Google camera app, but then I was also noticing it's apparently only using the 1.5 lens with no way of setting it to auto. I don't know if that skews things.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I was noticing way better dynamic range on indoor shots of a white towel with the Google camera app, but then I was also noticing it's apparently only using the 1.5 lens with no way of setting it to auto. I don't know if that skews things.

The gcam app knows nothing of the dual aperture so there will be no way to change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC