Need a better camera app

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
It looks like from the Pie beta there are camera improvements under way.

I have it in S9+ and have to wait until Feb for my Note.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Could always set a short cut to pro mode on the home page, just as easy to open as another camera app would be. The phone remembers the manual settings last used, could set it to something with a faster shutter.

It would also capture the photo in RAW making it easy to recover lost details if the exposure is off.

This is just an idea if you can't find another app.

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Then go get iPhone dude. Why ***** at it?
So the Note 9 and the iPhone X are not just cameras...they do other things as well. And switching solely for a single feature within a single feature would be totally asinine. Kind of like that comment. Sit down kid.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So the Note 9 and the iPhone X are not just cameras...they do other things as well. And switching solely for a single feature within a single feature would be totally asinine. Kind of like that comment. Sit down kid.

I look at this way, we expect way too much from our phone. Most of the time, it does really good job. Every once in awhile, I take s h i t t y photo. That's why I often time use live shot instead so I can go back later. Note 9 is decent, not best. Then again, I'm not complaining since I got $600 off :)

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Laughing.jpg ...I'm supposed to behave and not agree but just had to laugh - good one Skydiver!

Attachments

• Open_Hand.jpg
    Open_Hand.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 244

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I look at this way, we expect way too much from our phone. Most of the time, it does really good job. Everyone once in awhile, I take s h i t t y photo. That's why I often time use live shot instead so I can go back later. Note 9 is decent, not best. Then again, I'm not complaining since I got $600 off :)

I just did the same... waited until the last minute and the offer was about to end, then pulled the trigger!

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier I've been playing around with the Moment app the last few days and it does have a faster shutter button. Give it a try before you buy and Video capabilities will be coming soon.

SGDailey1

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I have been saying the same thing. I love the Note 9 but still grabbing my iPhone 7 for indoor photos of my kids because it takes better photos inside my home. I can't even get a decent shot on pro of my 10 month old. I have a nice expensive DSLR. I wanted a great phone with a great camera for those quick shots. I have been let down. I got the "update". It did nothing for me. I hope there is a software fix soon or I will not be a Samsung user for long and I really truly want to be. Also I just ordered all new lighting for my house because of this phone. Tired of my blond headed boys looking like they orange hair and skin.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I found even with the Pixel 3 XL if there's much movement in low light you get mediocre at best results. Does the end result look crisper and maybe extra detail in the final photo on my 3XL yeah, but it's pretty noisy as well. If I want awesome photos I pull out my Canon but that's not always a guarantee and often you find a cute moment you want to remember when the only device you have on you is your cellphone. So I grasp why the best camera possible is a huge factor for most people. But with a bit of manipulation in pro mode you can have amazing results with the Samsung. However the simplicity of just firing off a shot without fiddling with settings is a huge bonus for a lot of people.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Wow. You come here with complaints, asking for help, all the while praising the iPhone. Then crap on someone for calling you out. Whose the 'kid'?

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I like the stock camera app for every situation EXCEPT low light where subjects move. Low light stills are off the hook with how much the camera brings in but 100% of the time if the picture has a person in it and they have the audacity to breath it's a guaranteed blur.

And no, whipping out the camera and going to manual is not an option. You don't capture a moment by going into settings for a few minutes while everyone is posing like a bunch of goons.

Try OpenCamera. It's my main alternative to the stock S9+ app and usually does an ok job.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've said it time and time again, the issue is with the delay there is from when you hit the shutter button and when the image is actually written. As soon as you hit the button, watch the screen and you'll see that it freezes for a split second, any movement from the subject or you will result in blur. And yes I know how lighting affects things and shutters need to stay open, but I also know that 1/15 shutter speed should not have the type of delay I see when I take a picture. My S7 Edge does not do this, this is clearly a software problem.

There is not a camera in the world, whether cell phone or the very best from Nikon or Leica, that will give you a non-blurry photo of moving people if the shutter speed is 1/15. It's not a question of lag between the time that you press the button and when the image is captured. It's just a fact that if the shutter is open for 1/15, that is long enough for any subject movement to result in blur. For any given lighting, the exposure is a result of shutter speed, lens aperture, and ISO. If that results in a shutter speed of 1/15, whether as a result of the camera setting all three parameters automatically or you doing it manually, moving people WILL be blurred, on every single camera in the world.

If you are able to increase ISO (which may increase noise and decrease dynamic range) or increase the aperture enough to get the shutter speed up to 1/60, or better, 1/125, then you have a much better chance at getting non-blurry images of people moving, as long as they're not moving too fast. Slow shutter speeds might also result in blur due to your hand movement while taking the photo.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
There is not a camera in the world, whether cell phone or the very best from Nikon or Leica, that will give you a non-blurry photo of moving people if the shutter speed is 1/15. It's not a question of lag between the time that you press the button and when the image is captured. It's just a fact that if the shutter is open for 1/15, that is long enough for any subject movement to result in blur. For any given lighting, the exposure is a result of shutter speed, lens aperture, and ISO. If that results in a shutter speed of 1/15, whether as a result of the camera setting all three parameters automatically or you doing it manually, moving people WILL be blurred, on every single camera in the world.

If you are able to increase ISO (which may increase noise and decrease dynamic range) or increase the aperture enough to get the shutter speed up to 1/60, or better, 1/125, then you have a much better chance at getting non-blurry images of people moving, as long as they're not moving too fast. Slow shutter speeds might also result in blur due to your hand movement while taking the photo.
Consumers and reviewers hold smartphone cameras in such high regard that it makes people think it can replace a real camera. We're not there yet folks. Invest in a Sony RX100 VA or similar and be happy.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

I wasn't talking about moving people and I know how cameras work. My S7 Edge is more responsive at the same shutter speed as is my DSLR, 1/15 shutter speed should not produce a blurry image on a stationary object if there is OIS involved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12