Buying next spring/summer: Cheaper Note 9 or S10+?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Light user here, in the sense that I don't play graphics intensive games, nor do I run benchmarks. I only take occasional point-and-shoot photos. All I really do on my phones is talk (2-4 hours a day), text, stream my music on Google Play Music, watch YouTube videos, browse the web and Reddit/forums.

Never having a Note before, the S-Pen would be nice to have for jotting down quick notes and numbers, translation, animated text, etc. But with the S10+ coming with the SD 855/Exynos 9820, a supposedly shatterproof display, a wide angle lens and the in display fingerprint scanner with Pie out of the box, I can't help but be excited for it. Although I hardly need 512 GB, it would be nice to have so I can store music locally without having to worry about running out on a cheaper priced Note 9. Does a Note 9 with One UI offer more than the S10+ would with it, out of the box? Would the S10+ be better optimized because it comes out of the box? I'm torn, folks. Help? Lol, thanks!

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Light user here, in the sense that I don't play graphics intensive games, nor do I run benchmarks. I only take occasional point-and-shoot photos. All I really do on my phones is talk (2-4 hours a day), text, stream my music on Google Play Music, watch YouTube videos, browse the web and Reddit/forums.

Never having a Note before, the S-Pen would be nice to have for jotting down quick notes and numbers, translation, animated text, etc. But with the S10+ coming with the SD 855/Exynos 9820, a supposedly shatterproof display, a wide angle lens and the in display fingerprint scanner with Pie out of the box, I can't help but be excited for it. Although I hardly need 512 GB, it would be nice to have so I can store music locally without having to worry about running out on a cheaper priced Note 9. Does a Note 9 with One UI offer more than the S10+ would with it, out of the box? Would the S10+ be better optimized because it comes out of the box? I'm torn, folks. Help? Lol, thanks!

First time Note user myself. I never thought I would get one. To be honest, I am really happy with this purchase with $600 trade up with Samsung lead the way. If the price is right with GS10 or whatever they come out with and if the price point is good. I likely will trade my N9 for it. :)

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
First time Note user myself. I never thought I would get one. To be honest, I am really happy with this purchase with $600 trade up with Samsung lead the way. If the price is right with GS10 or whatever they come out with and if the price point is good. I likely will trade my N9 for it. :)

The only way I will trade to the s10 is IF there is no Note 10 as there have been rumors if the sales are not strong that the Note line would go away. I guess just not a high demand for the spen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The only way I will trade to the s10 is IF there is no Note 10 as there have been rumors if the sales are not strong that the Note line would go away. I guess just not a high demand for the spen.

If that happens I'll keep my note 9 for long time maybe by that time they be cheaper and buy couple more s9 for safe keeping lol but I think we will have a note 10 🤞

Richard Stewart79

Sep 3, 2018
Visit site
Nope, I'm holding onto my note 9 and will see what the note 10 brings. Really hard for me to go back to anything else besides a note.
I've had the note 4, note 7 but had to give it up for a 7 edge and waited for the note 8 and moved onto the 9

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Hard to say cause we still don't know all that the S10 has to offer.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

If there is no Note 10, then I'll keep my Note 9 as it will be the last of it's kind and I use the S Pen a lot.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that the S10+ will have an s-pen and the galaxy f will too and take over as top end flagship from the Note series

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Will be watching specks for the 10, however the 9 has everything I want and more. I would rather have a little smaller phone and almost considered the + models. The battery on the note sold me. The pen, well I dont really use it and this is my first Note so maybe it will grow on me.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a feeling that the S10+ will have an s-pen and the galaxy f will too and take over as top end flagship from the Note series

I want the Note 10 though! That means in 4 months I'll be shelling out another 1k for a phone again!!

I guess the one good thing is if the S10 has the S pen then there will be a good case selection since the s9 and s8 line has a much better case selection choice than the note.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Honestly what I'll be watching the most about the S10 isn't the specs or performance or whatever, it's the shatterproof screen, and everybody should be too. Currently only one manufacturer has a shatterproof screen using a plastic polymer like Samsung will be using, and that's Motorola with their Shattershield on the flagships. The phone that ships with a screen protector because the screen may be shatterproof, but it's a scratch magnet. I've seen a complaint where someone managed to scratch it with her fingernail (hardass fingernail I suppose). But fact is, I will watch out for scratch reports. I never used screen protectors on my Samsung and only scratched it once, and it was an accident with surgical grade tools, not some run of the mill thing. This report of plastic polymer shatterproof screen makes me a bit concerned.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I'm holding onto my note 9 and will see what the note 10 brings. Really hard for me to go back to anything else besides a note.
I've had the note 4, note 7 but had to give it up for a 7 edge and waited for the note 8 and moved onto the 9

Like you Richard, I had the Note 4, 5, 7 Galaxy S7 Active while waiting for the Note 8 and now the Note 9 - and MAINLY, I think because of the bigger battery (the S7 Active's 4000mAh spoiled me) and the 512GB storage. I think I'll probably stay with it for a long while...

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I still run the Z2 Force with the shatter proof screen and put a screen protector on day one. It still looks great and no peeling lucky me. But good point and something to watch for.

darksirhenry

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
perhaps it would be good to wait and find out exactly what specs and features the s10, s10+ etc will have.

so far there are guesses and leaks but it would be good to decide based on facts.

plus you're not comparing a s9/s9+ but the note 9, which has the spen.. so right there there is a big feature difference that depends on your personal use.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
perhaps it would be good to wait and find out exactly what specs and features the s10, s10+ etc will have.

so far there are guesses and leaks but it would be good to decide based on facts.

plus you're not comparing a s9/s9+ but the note 9, which has the spen.. so right there there is a big feature difference that depends on your personal use.

I agree with you..

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Rumors say OnePlus will offer a 5G phone at much lower price than what Samsung is rumored to. Maybe $100 more than current? That would be awesome since I heard the 5G chipset is costing about that much which would explain Samsungs 300x markup over that (Qualcomm are just greedy SOBs lol).

A OnePlus 7T McLaren with 5G would be pretty awesome.

This is why I'm keeping my not 9 and getting a one plus this year.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
just because a phone will have the capability for 5g dont mean carrier wont charge extra to use it , so something to think about. I'm fine with 4g LTE until 5g becomes how 4g LTE is now

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Considering 5G is new, this is going to be like the 4G roll out. The lack of wide coverage means leaving 5G on will rape your battery with the phone keeping on looking for signal. I'd skip 5G for at least until the time of the Note 11 I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2