12-20-2018 02:47 PM
65 123
tools
    I can think a ton of reasons to jump OEM ship. But loss of free themes?

I do say this using a free one myself. But you know, I'll fork out a dollar or two to keep this one if I have to. Only because I spent heaps of time finding this particular one. Not necessarily because it's free, just because I liked it and it wasn't resource heavy.
    We're already paying a steep markup on these phones. I've been able (for free) to change my nav buttons since the Oreo beta last year. I think it's reasonable to be a little irritated if it's no longer a free option.

I'll admit to overreacting a little yesterday. And I even came back and said, nowhere in the statement did it say we would have to pay for free themes.

Also, I know NavStar is coming to Good Lock, but from what I've seen a lot of those options look silly. But I haven't been able to check it out for myself.
    anon(3641385) and mustang7757 like this.
    11-16-2018 08:28 AM
    We're already paying a steep markup on these phones. I've been able (for free) to change my nav buttons since the Oreo beta last year. I think it's reasonable to be a little irritated if it's no longer a free option.

I'll admit to overreacting a little yesterday. And I even came back and said, nowhere in the statement did it say we would have to pay for free themes.

Also, I know NavStar is coming to Good Lock, but from what I've seen a lot of those options look silly. But I haven't been able to check it out for myself.
    I've just played around with navstar myself and it's really cool. For e.g., I used to have the softkey edge panel because I don't like having to press the power button always to turn the screen off. That is the only reason I had softkey. Now with navstar, I have an off button on my far left next to my recents key.

Awesome. And on my far right next to my back button is a screen capture key.
    11-16-2018 08:58 AM
    It also doesn't state you can't reuse the same theme? I wonder if you can apply a new theme and then reapply the free one you had previously for another 14 days? Would be an inconvenience, but only every two weeks. Personally I paid for a Cameron Bunch theme a long time ago and have stuck with it so this doesn't impact me.
    gendo667 likes this.
    11-16-2018 09:33 AM
    Which theme do you use that is currently free that you think will be affected?
    My comment was in jest, hence the JK letters at the end and the smilies. I currently use a black wallpaper and a Samsung dark icon pack. No themes used.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    11-16-2018 09:46 AM
    buzz launcher has themes that are 100 times better!

and free...
    Velenoso likes this.
    11-16-2018 02:53 PM
    buzz launcher has themes that are 100 times better!

and free...
    Launcher themes are not the same. We're talking system wide. Settings, dialer app. Things of that nature.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-16-2018 02:59 PM
    Big %*&# that themes will not longer be free I never use them or touchwiz, I just screenshot pix and use them a wall paper instead of a theme and use free icons.

Samsung is on this path of user pay the biggest problem with that is, most of their software and alike blows.

S9+
    11-16-2018 03:01 PM
    Big %*&# that themes will not longer be free I never use them or touchwiz, I just screenshot pix and use them a wall paper instead of a theme and use free icons.
    You should read the entire thread. Nobody's discussing wallpaper or icon packs. System wide themes. That's the concern.
    AustinTech and Beansr519 like this.
    11-16-2018 03:09 PM
    I'm using free and paid items from the theme store, not sure which is which, but guess I'll be finding out, LoL
    11-16-2018 04:16 PM
    Lol, now I'm paranoid. I just downloaded a couple of free themes. Kind of stock piling up. Samsung will have to take these away from my dead, cold hands. That'll show em.

Or it'll just disappear with Android P.
    anon(3641385) and Beansr519 like this.
    11-16-2018 09:51 PM
    This seems bogus to me.
    Didn't "TouchWiz" die a while back and now they call it Samsung Experience and with Android 9 it will be called One UI or such?
    Why would Samsung use the term touchwiz?
    11-16-2018 11:21 PM
    The problem I have with forcing people to pay for themes is that I've purchased many themes, but after OS upgrades some of them are no longer available, which means my money has been wasted on themes I can no longer use.

That's why i stopped buying themes.
    11-17-2018 11:10 AM
    So is that the themes only or the icons too? Because my theme is paid for I believe but some of the icon packs I use are not.
    11-17-2018 11:59 AM
    @pool_shark yeah it happened to me too, but I thought it was because I upgraded my phone that I lost the themes.

So it's even worse if a simple OS update does remove a paid theme... I don't know how many I lost, but for sure the one I liked the most is no more on my phone, neither on the theme store (and I can't remember the name of the creator... great !)
    11-18-2018 04:50 AM
    I think Themes are an abomination. If you need to cover up the default look or actions of your device to make it pretty or useful, and then charge on top of the original outrageous price the device came with, you're doing it WRONG.
    11-21-2018 11:54 AM
    I think Themes are an abomination. If you need to cover up the default look or actions of your device to make it pretty or useful, and then charge on top of the original outrageous price the device came with, you're doing it WRONG.
    Such an extreme reaction to an issue of a couple of dollars. Look at the latest iPhones. More expensive than the Note 9, doesn't even include the dongle to connect with headphones. I think we are doing a lot better even with paid themes.

And many of us like the improved looks. Will I pay if it's taken away? Yes.
    11-21-2018 03:07 PM
    Starting at the same screen in the same color all year is an abomination. Some of us aren't "covering up" an ugly UI, but adding our personal flare. I change mine each month for the corresponding holiday or season. Not sure how a developer forcing us to use the same theme year round - no matter how awesome - would be a good thing.
    11-21-2018 04:33 PM
    Starting at the same screen in the same color all year is an abomination. Some of us aren't "covering up" an ugly UI, but adding our personal flare. I change mine each month for the corresponding holiday or season. Not sure how a developer forcing us to use the same theme year round - no matter how awesome - would be a good thing.
    Well said. Thank you.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    11-21-2018 04:36 PM
    When I had my s7 edge, I mostly bought my themes because they were better quality, but I did get the occasional free one!
    11-21-2018 06:41 PM
    When I had my s7 edge, I mostly bought my themes because they were better quality, but I did get the occasional free one!
    I'm new to Samsung themes.
    How are the paid themes better quality than the free?
    11-21-2018 06:46 PM
    I'm new to Samsung themes.
    How are the paid themes better quality than the free?
    It's not so much a question of quality. Rather being forced out of your free theme after fourteen days and set back to the to the default theme. And Samsung hasn't been clear whether those free themes will remain free or become pay themes after the fourteen day period has expired.

Paying for a theme isn't a big deal. I've paid for themes. IMO, I'm already paying the markup on the device. A couple of free themes isn't too much to ask. Especially when they've been free for so long.
    Beansr519 likes this.
    11-21-2018 07:29 PM
    Such an extreme reaction to an issue of a couple of dollars. Look at the latest iPhones. More expensive than the Note 9, doesn't even include the dongle to connect with headphones. I think we are doing a lot better even with paid themes.

And many of us like the improved looks. Will I pay if it's taken away? Yes.
    Or, just include a built in theming engine in the software. Problem solved
    11-21-2018 08:55 PM
    Wow. You are completely missing the point of themes.
    11-21-2018 09:36 PM
    I'm still convinced that there is a twist plot that will wait for us in the end; as I explained earlier, in French the notification was saying two different things : free theme applied for 14 days / free use of (paid?) themes is now 14 days.

Though I was thinking that this whole thing is because of One UI. Once One UI will be on our phones, all the current themes will be irrelevant and may very well be removed or be redesigned to be compatible (all the text size and position / UI change for messages, phone, contact....)

So maybe they are trying to force us to change to One UI and motivate creators to design new themes (and maybe they will release the theming engine for anyone to use)
    Beansr519 likes this.
    11-22-2018 04:45 AM
    Between project treble - android pie - One UI... I would imagine that a lot of current themes will need to be redesigned
    11-22-2018 08:12 AM
65 123