Free themes are going away?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think Themes are an abomination. If you need to cover up the default look or actions of your device to make it pretty or useful, and then charge on top of the original outrageous price the device came with, you're doing it WRONG.

Such an extreme reaction to an issue of a couple of dollars. Look at the latest iPhones. More expensive than the Note 9, doesn't even include the dongle to connect with headphones. I think we are doing a lot better even with paid themes.

And many of us like the improved looks. Will I pay if it's taken away? Yes.

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Starting at the same screen in the same color all year is an abomination. Some of us aren't "covering up" an ugly UI, but adding our personal flare. I change mine each month for the corresponding holiday or season. Not sure how a developer forcing us to use the same theme year round - no matter how awesome - would be a good thing.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Starting at the same screen in the same color all year is an abomination. Some of us aren't "covering up" an ugly UI, but adding our personal flare. I change mine each month for the corresponding holiday or season. Not sure how a developer forcing us to use the same theme year round - no matter how awesome - would be a good thing.
Well said. Thank you.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to Samsung themes.
How are the paid themes better quality than the free?
It's not so much a question of quality. Rather being forced out of your free theme after fourteen days and set back to the to the default theme. And Samsung hasn't been clear whether those free themes will remain free or become pay themes after the fourteen day period has expired.

Paying for a theme isn't a big deal. I've paid for themes. IMO, I'm already paying the markup on the device. A couple of free themes isn't too much to ask. Especially when they've been free for so long.

MS3GT

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Such an extreme reaction to an issue of a couple of dollars. Look at the latest iPhones. More expensive than the Note 9, doesn't even include the dongle to connect with headphones. I think we are doing a lot better even with paid themes.

And many of us like the improved looks. Will I pay if it's taken away? Yes.

Or, just include a built in theming engine in the software. Problem solved

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I think Themes are an abomination. If you need to cover up the default look or actions of your device to make it pretty or useful, and then charge on top of the original outrageous price the device came with, you're doing it WRONG.
Wow. You are completely missing the point of themes.

StephaneM60

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I'm still convinced that there is a twist plot that will wait for us in the end; as I explained earlier, in French the notification was saying two different things : free theme applied for 14 days / free use of (paid?) themes is now 14 days.

Though I was thinking that this whole thing is because of One UI. Once One UI will be on our phones, all the current themes will be irrelevant and may very well be removed or be redesigned to be compatible (all the text size and position / UI change for messages, phone, contact....)

So maybe they are trying to force us to change to One UI and motivate creators to design new themes (and maybe they will release the theming engine for anyone to use)

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Between project treble - android pie - One UI... I would imagine that a lot of current themes will need to be redesigned

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I just use swift installer to theme my entire phone. With Android 8.0 and up you can theme Samsung devices outside of samsung themes. Also with goodlock you can theme the notifications. If you use substratum and Andromeda you can also change your font as well.

Most of those you have to pay for, I have no problem supporting these developers.

I am glad that Samsung is doing away free themes. Shows support for the developers that put their own time into themes. Unless they develop for a big company most these people use their free time to make these. If $2.49 is way to much for a theme maybe switch back to a flip phone.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I pay for a cup of coffee.....that's gone in about 10 minutes. I certainly think if I like a theme then it's worth paying someone for after all, you pay for the developers time & expertise.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I just use swift installer to theme my entire phone. With Android 8.0 and up you can theme Samsung devices outside of samsung themes. Also with goodlock you can theme the notifications. If you use substratum and Andromeda you can also change your font as well.

Most of those you have to pay for, I have no problem supporting these developers.

I am glad that Samsung is doing away free themes. Shows support for the developers that put their own time into themes. Unless they develop for a big company most these people use their free time to make these. If $2.49 is way to much for a theme maybe switch back to a flip phone.
My problem actually if I won't like the Night mode on Pie is that my favorite theme currently is a free one. I've tried on some of the paid ones (there's a trial period), but they barely last 3min on me and I got back to my favorite one, and it's a free one. Lol.
(Material Black by MINU)
That guy's got a lot of nice themes and they're all free I think. And all my favorites are his.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
My problem actually if I won't like the Night mode on Pie is that my favorite theme currently is a free one. I've tried on some of the paid ones (there's a trial period), but they barely last 3min on me and I got back to my favorite one, and it's a free one. Lol.
(Material Black by MINU)
That guy's got a lot of nice themes and they're all free I think. And all my favorites are his.
So your problem is that you don't want to pay the developer for all of his hard work that you seem to really enjoy.

They are not going to be deleting the themes just charging for them after 2 weeks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So your problem is that you don't want to pay the developer for all of his hard work that you seem to really enjoy.

They are not going to be deleting the themes just charging for them after 2 weeks.
How will I pay for something that is free? As in there is no paid option?
I'll pay for it if it was paid. But it's not. Are you saying that if I don't pay for say, Google Keep, I don't want to pay for it? It's freaking free with no payment option.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Here's a theme by his that I haven't downloaded. It's his hard work. I like it. So how am I supposed to pay for something with no payment option?
44858bc35d9f62600f4047e8d6429706.jpg

And nowhere did they say they're charging after two weeks. After two weeks it will just revert to default theme.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll pay for it if it was paid. But it's not. Are you saying that if I don't pay for say, Google Keep, I don't want to pay for it? It's freaking free with no payment option.

Lmfaoo😂😂😂

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I am sure there will be a payment option added with the launch of Android 9. That is when the theme application will be updated.

You can always reach out to the dev and ask them how it's going to work as well.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Just went ahead and bought a couple of Cameron Bunch themes, thereby committing to the S10. The heart wants what the heart wants and nothing enticed me to trade in my S8. Cheers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12